Technique and Coaching

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Anybody try the free 2 week plan on the surf athlete app? Just did the plan for 2 weeks.

I am feeling really good. Besides my normal stretch plan, this has helped with my balance and movement. My back has never felt better.
Never heard of it
tell me more

a quick google, and I found a magic seaweed interview that makes me think this guy is a bs artist
it says: Cris Mills developed the Surf Athlete program with one goal in mind – to extend your surfing longevity.

Come on, he made it for the money, or he doesn’t surf. No surfer wants all surfers to surf longer
either way, bs

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ghostshaper

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I'd rather drag my dick on a bodyboard or just surf for fun than pay a surf coach to tell me that I'm doing it wrong or how to hold my hands when I'm gouging a sick cutback or roundhouse top turn backside with my fins out topside blowing the tail around.
But maybe that's just me?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I'd rather drag my dick on a bodyboard or just surf for fun than pay a surf coach to tell me that I'm doing it wrong or how to hold my hands when I'm gouging a sick cutback or roundhouse top turn backside with my fins out topside blowing the tail around.
ha!
love your avatar!

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
i've taught a bunch of people how to stand up on a board (you are standing on a board you aren't surfing) and i've coached hundreds of groms, but i started on a raft and could barely swim and the rush was addicting, might end up there again if I live long enough.

Reactions: One-Off

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Good surfing feels better than bad surfing.

The enjoyment the pros get out of a session is 100x more than 99% of surfers because the feeling good surfing brings is replicated multiple times a session. Turns are linked better, overall flow is better, turns are performed with optimal technique.

Everybody wants to surf better, they just don't admit it. If a coach helps you consistently surf better I don't see what the problem is.
I have a completely opposite view on this. The better you get the more you look for perfection in your surfing. A slight bog rail on a turn you never would have thought twice about as a novice becomes an embarrassment as a advanced surfer. Plus when you have 1000’s of hours logged surfing you’re comparing that last wave to a much greater history of ripping. It takes remarkably good waves for me now to feel even close to the amount of stoke I felt as i did in bad waves As a grom.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I have a completely opposite view on this. The better you get the more you look for perfection in your surfing. A slight bog rail on a turn you never would have thought twice about as a novice becomes an embarrassment as a advanced surfer. Plus when you have 1000’s of hours logged surfing you’re comparing that last wave to a much greater history of ripping.
Seeking perfection... in other words, still trying to get better.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Probably.

It's similar to stuff like jerking off and fucking.

Usually it's more thrilling in the beginning.

After a while it takes something really special to reproduce the thrills of the early days.
Not for me, @ 60 y/o. Maybe you're doing it wrong.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
yeah, and that's fine but I'd rather get some pointers from someone on how to get better. I think i'd progress faster and have more fun.

You can apply it to anything but really it's what makes it fun for you.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Theoretically, coaching makes sense
in practice, i probably definitely could’ve used more pointers and tips and watching myself so I could improve
but, for me, getting tips from friends seems way more natural than paying someone. Coaching seems way more formal and goal oriented than I ever wanted surfing to be for me
but maybe I wouldn’t suck so bad if I’d hired a coach
even so, personally, not interested

Reactions: Autoprax

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I have a completely opposite view on this. The better you get the more you look for perfection in your surfing. A slight bog rail on a turn you never would have thought twice about as a novice becomes an embarrassment as a advanced surfer. Plus when you have 1000’s of hours logged surfing you’re comparing that last wave to a much greater history of ripping. It takes remarkably good waves for me now to feel even close to the amount of stoke I felt as i did in bad waves As a grom.
You are describing a personality type more than anything. You sound a lot like me with golf. I started playing golf at 30 as an escape from summer grovelling in crowded small surf. I got addicted to golf. I was improving rapidly and it was addictive. You reach a point though where as an adult with a family and a job you just can't get better without losing the job and family. For me that point was when I got to be a 4 handicap. Since then after a few years at a pretty good level its been a slow slide backwards as age and injuries and life has caught up with me. Its not fun like it used to be except for those exceptional days when it all comes together. I've actually been putting more effort into surfing again now that the golf game is slipping.

Reactions: Rlacey111

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Coaching is very Appollonian being applied to something that is attractive due to its Dionysian aspects.

That is what irks, even if it's a slight irking.

Ultimately, the goal is intuitive expertise in all aspects of life, if only to spare resources.

That is what caca is talking about.

The road to this goal is paved with pitfalls.

You don't need a coach to get better at surfing.

Methods are not outcomes.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
yeah, and that's fine but I'd rather get some pointers from someone on how to get better. I think i'd progress faster and have more fun.

You can apply it to anything but really it's what makes it fun for you.
I'm assuming that your screen name is an indication of your current location. If so, here is the best coaching tip I can give you.......get out of VaB and go to someplace with real waves for a week at a time as often as you can. You will improve more in one week surfing at Upper Trestles, T-Street, Salt Creek, Oceanside or any number of other places like that than you could in a year of working hard at it in VaB.

If travels west or to place tropical is out of the question get yourself a jacked up 4WD and drive to Hatteras every chance you get. Lucky for you that you are half the distance from Rodanthe and Buxton that I am.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
How do you feel about life coaches?
I don't know a whole lot about them.

The hardest thing in life is seeing oneself objectively.

I try to stay away from anything that promises incredible results and like lifecoaching often seems to do.

Lifecoaching often seems to come with lots of big smiles - that is a red flag.