Surfing drunk

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Ask Joel Parkinson's foot that year he should have won the World Title... but yeah the enitre staged pro tour the judges the shapers everyone show me your liver! Drunk... Surfing... it is Surfing is drunk the game the lifestyle aha ha the sport is drunk completely ripped to the t!ts on drink and drugs too...
This is actually quite profound. How many young groms fall into the Green Bottle Sunset Culture and become possessed alcoholics and druggies only to find Christ later in life or end up doing headers in resin paint soaked asphalt in boatyards as old nothing men with heavy Reps

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 20W-50 and blood

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I could never surf drunk at all. There was some dumb surf contest with a keg in college. Some of the guys killed it drunk , maybe they had also been sniffin some A1Yola. No idea.

The exception is bintangs and boat trips. In that case I will be having 4 beers before 10 am , another 4 after my second surf session and who knows how many after that. And I have 100% paddled out in overhead reef surf with a decent buzz and had a good time.

:roflmao:
Ha!
1 or 2 pre-afternoon sesh beers keeps the cramps away when in the tropics. I got one of my best barrels at Cloudbreak just before dark with a mild beer buzz. Not sure if I would have pulled in had I been completely sober.....

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Surfing stoned is fine but coming down while in the water sucks.

I surfed on shrooms once and hated it. Probably had too many. Never again.

However it happens and however you get there, it is a great feeling when you are locked in, completely present, and attuned to everything around you, and just on it.
I got fuckking worked today.

Totally sober.

Reactions: npsp and tacos

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
A guy who used to work for me but moved back to Utah came to town and asked if I'd take him to surf. I figured I'd push him into a few whitewaters and that would do it. He drives his truck to the lot and pulls out a cooler and starts taking shots. Like four or so. Takes the board paddles out on his own and actually catches a few and stands up. Never surfed before.

Next time he comes to town he wants to go again but a swell was running. I told him it's too dangerous for him and he says "Don't worry I just won't go out as far as you" I said no man, it ain't happening. I didn't want to be responsible for putting a fifty year old drunk newbie in the lineup.

He went to Mt Tam and took acid with his adult daughter instead. Next time he came to SF he was arrested in Chinatown for open carrying with an extended clip.

In the almost two decades it had been since he worked for me, it seems he went off the rails.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
I hate it, alcohol just makes me dumber, lethargic and slow to react. That being said when I was 15 or so my buddy and I were staying at his grandmas timeshare in Solana Beach. Got a bum to get us a 30 pack of Natural Ice. Pounded about 10 beers a piece then went and surfed dumpy low tide pumping south swell closeouts. First two waves I just fell over trying to bottom turn. 3rd wave I went backside starting pumping on a OH left. Saw it was gonna section so I did a backside cutback to a full vertical rebound and pulled it. Never would have even tried or thought of that if I was sober.

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Not for me. Realized I didn’t want to be in an altered state surfing decades ago. Post-surf beers on boat trips are essential. Some friends paddle out with a flask. Whatever works for you, just don’t be a hazard

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
For me drinking and surfing are mutually exclusive (never done it) but surfing and hangovers are de rigueur,

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
There used to be a contest at StoneSteps where you had to drink a beer before every heat.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
i can only think of 3 times where i've surfed drunk.

based on that admittedly limited experience i would say surfing drunk sux

unless its nighttime and you're surfing from a fireworks show into a marshmallow fight...

in which case... surfing drunk RULES!!!

Mar 7, 2018
i have taken just about every "enhancement" before surfing (except some of the new "designer" items)
all have been different but fun.
alcohol, however, is shite for timing when surfing and skating.
i drink a few and i stay dry