Surfing drunk

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
I could never surf drunk at all. There was some dumb surf contest with a keg in college. Some of the guys killed it drunk , maybe they had also been sniffin some A1Yola. No idea.

The exception is bintangs and boat trips. In that case I will be having 4 beers before 10 am , another 4 after my second surf session and who knows how many after that. And I have 100% paddled out in overhead reef surf with a decent buzz and had a good time.

:roflmao:
Haha, yeah...fullsizeoutput_52c5.jpegfullsizeoutput_26d6.jpeg

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
And this is what got me thinking. So many say here they dont surf drunk but the amount of assholes yoi see in any ski area parking lot downing Fireball at 8:30 in the morning is grotesque. Seems to be primarily boarders
Im going to have to be a hypocrite on this one bc I blaze pretty hard avant riding but couldn’t agree more except imo it’s not correlated to equipment choice. Boozing on the hill is not chill.

Swallow Tail

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
How can surfing n and of it self not be enough?

Back in the day occasionally surfed after a few if we were hanging on the beach n it all of a sudden turned on unexpectedly but otherwise no thanks.

Pot - tried a few times back in the day and typically adrenaline would burn it right the fck off and if it didn’t then it just took away from the experience.

I found this to be true even in marginal/junky conditions

To each their own though

Reactions: Chocki and keenfish

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
I could never surf drunk at all. There was some dumb surf contest with a keg in college. Some of the guys killed it drunk , maybe they had also been sniffin some A1Yola. No idea.

The exception is bintangs and boat trips. In that case I will be having 4 beers before 10 am , another 4 after my second surf session and who knows how many after that. And I have 100% paddled out in overhead reef surf with a decent buzz and had a good time.

:roflmao:
do bintangs even count?

when x large been known to have a few beers and a pack of chewing gum in my mouth

that combo makes me froth

fresnoripper saw that when he was in nias:roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: santacruzin

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
Drunk? No. Slightly buzzed? Sure when the waves are not of any consequence. When it gets serious like to let the ocean give me the buzz.

In my earlier days I was all about a few beers before paddling out for the afternoon session. So much so I made it a point to drink a beer in the barrel (on a bodyboard). Before erosion took it away we had a barrier island that had great shorebreak but you could only get there by boat and on the smaller days many people would anchor up just outside the break. Had a buddy come motoring by while having a session. I asked him for a beer and he gave me one that I opened in the lineup and was drinking until a wave came to me when I was able to swing under the lip and take a big gulp in the barrel before getting closed out and wasting the last half of the beer. Pretty cool memory.

Reactions: billypilgrim

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Post drinks

BUT this one time - swell was supposed to hit overnight, woke up and soupbowls was flat. Like east coast July flat. Fuuuggg. Decided to go run shack hoppin for lunch. Tied one on good. 3 sheets. Got back to dead calm winds and classic north swell soupbowls at 6-8’. I surfed like mason ho that afternoon. Never been repeated.

Reactions: Kento

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Can't believe no one posted this. Maybe 2Surf was a contestant?

ps seems they had to change the soundtrack music. Probably copyright issues. I think originally it was this-

pps cold water is a total buzz kill. that contest could only happen in the summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: npsp and Mr Doof

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Can't believe no one posted this. Maybe 2Surf was a contestant?

ps seems they had to change the soundtrack music. Probably copyright issues. I think originally it was this-

pps cold water is a total buzz kill. that contest could only happen in the summer.
Billy Stewart, not much of a drinker back when I knew him, won the Stone Steps contest.

Reactions: npsp

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Used to smoke weed a lot and hated surfing stoned.
Surfing stoned is fine but coming down while in the water sucks.

I surfed on shrooms once and hated it. Probably had too many. Never again.

However it happens and however you get there, it is a great feeling when you are locked in, completely present, and attuned to everything around you, and just on it.