Surf Ranch Pro Getting Torched

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
while NJ and the north east is pretty much lake Atlantic for most of the summer. has to be one of the worst places for surfing in the US besides the Great Lakes and the Gulf of Exxon
:monkey:

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
It's not my favorite event by any means, but I think in a WCT it makes sense, a completely equal wave every time for everyone, and forcing frontside + backside surfing equally.

As long as its mixed into a bigger series of 'real surfing' I think it should contribute to judging the best overall surfer. :shrug:

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
They should separate it out like with skateboarding, where you have pool skating, street, mega ramp etc... I think they probably will go that direction eventually.

Reactions: EastCoastBrah

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Reminds me of Olympic Figure Skating. Perhaps Bobby was wrong when he said it was the "Tennis Tour". Now its the figure skating tour.
You could be right. OK, having been subjected to more than a few figure skating events by my wife, I have noticed a trend where when someone does well, they throw flowers and such onto the ice. For surfing, UBB had a hat, the better performers got stickers of coke slapped onto their boards.

This is all fine and good but what about for failure? I always thought when you have a figure skater who falls multiple times, someone should heave a brick or cinder block onto the ice. What's the equivalent for surfing? Such a shitty heat, a boat comes around and chums the lineup?

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
It's not my favorite event by any means, but I think in a WCT it makes sense, a completely equal wave every time for everyone, and forcing frontside + backside surfing equally.

As long as its mixed into a bigger series of 'real surfing' I think it should contribute to judging the best overall surfer. :shrug:
This is actually a fairly cogent point.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
It could be made to be slightly less boring.

There is absolutely no reason to have two barrel sections.......or even one barrel section. Sure it would be great if you (the general public) are surfing it, but it is by far the most boring part while watching a contest.

Get rid of the barrel sections, slow the wave down slightly, add a couple of early crumble sections and reward a combination of power surfing and progressive airs. Air reverses get points taken off.

Or just have the contest at Lowers instead, but not both the pool and Lowers.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
wtf is up with all y'alls? Build more pools, draw every rich. entitled grom/adult learner/pro there, clearing out at least some of the ocean. More Leemores! Would you rather have your home break off limits during swell and reserved for athletes who clearly don't need the practice and may not be enjoying it anywho?

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
last contest when aids lost his heat they said that was the final heat of his career
yet hes back and many are wearing his jersey

ps, slater didnt look too good there, that time

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
owen wright just got totally ripped off on his right. but they had to guarantee that slater makes the final so they lowballed him in case Yago blows up.