stretch boards support and board pron thread

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
It's all good. It's just a board. I still got the old one that I love and was just trying to add volume. Maybe I'll sell the new one and buy some of that marine foam like Curren to add to my old one LOL.

Reactions: MathDebater

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Oh man. It's a dud.

Today was about as good as it gets at my local. Head high to almost double overhead steep peaks with long walls and lots of double ups. I tried split keel fronts for more speed with my regular rears (yesterday I tried AM Large fronts with my regular rears). I also packed the split keel rears in my boardshorts to test them too. Board struggled to get speed despite the waves having lots of energy and steep walls. I struggled to make sections and when I did get up to the lip I had to do the wackest windshield wiper turns. Super bummed on this one. Gonna have to email Dylan to figure out what happened. Board feels like it's dragging an 8 pound dumbbell off the back. When I compare the new Mr Buzz to the old one, it looks like the new one has a little more tail rocker and a lot less entry rocker, could explain why it feels so slow.

I'll try it one more time, but most likely a sell. Probably my last big board purchase as we put an offer on a house!
Gotta be the asym tail pad placement ;)

BTW, where's the leash plug on that thing?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Oh man. It's a dud.

Today was about as good as it gets at my local. Head high to almost double overhead steep peaks with long walls and lots of double ups. I tried split keel fronts for more speed with my regular rears (yesterday I tried AM Large fronts with my regular rears). I also packed the split keel rears in my boardshorts to test them too. Board struggled to get speed despite the waves having lots of energy and steep walls. I struggled to make sections and when I did get up to the lip I had to do the wackest windshield wiper turns. Super bummed on this one. Gonna have to email Dylan to figure out what happened. Board feels like it's dragging an 8 pound dumbbell off the back. When I compare the new Mr Buzz to the old one, it looks like the new one has a little more tail rocker and a lot less entry rocker, could explain why it feels so slow.

I'll try it one more time, but most likely a sell. Probably my last big board purchase as we put an offer on a house!
Bummer

Maybe try a few more fin configurations???

I too have felt the pain of a dud. Always sucks

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
Race, board looks really nice. Bummer its a dud. Mine is the same but two inches longer, it was Dylan's custom board before he had to get ankle surgery.

Given the level of your surfing, I don't think there is much others, at least I, could say to bring that board out of the disappointment pile.

To others curious about the Mr. Buzz I think Big fins (ST3 in glass) are a must. Mine also needs a certain stance (wide and back foot way back). Drives off the rail in the face on a steep face but then requires that back foot driven rail arc in a carve.

That feeling of full speed carves on the little sled is the buzz I reckon you were after. Glad you kept the old one.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
A different rocker makes for a shocker.

That would be pretty crappy if one of, if not the most important design elements is that different from board to board of the same design.

Seems like if the entry rocker is lower it wouldn't be slower, especially if you were surfing it heavy off the front foot.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Sorry I meant that the entry rocker seems higher on the new one than the old one. And it looks like the new one has a touch more exit rocker. So more rocker overall on the new one.

There's just no drive with the new one.

The old one is so flat in the front and has so much drive and then you step back and crank turns right in the pocket. The new one I have to pump from the front of the deck pad to get any decent speed (still not fast) and then once I step back on the tail it just stalls.

It could also be that by adding more volume the board sits higher in the water and I can't push down on the concaves/entry rocker like I do with the old thinner one.

Reactions: paunch23 and Aruka

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
That feeling of full speed carves on the little sled is the buzz I reckon you were after. Glad you kept the old one.
It's the best feeling! Gonna have to force the old one to work. It's just a little too thin for paddling but I'll make due. It's such a sick little board.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Funny story, I listed the board just to see any interest - I'm still going to give it one more session.
There's a guy who normally buys all my rejects and seems to love them LOL.
Tells me two of his all time favorite boards are my rejects.
I've even bought an old board back off him in the past. We have this weird relationship.
Any way he texts me about the new MrBuzz and says he's interested but tell me if it really works.
He's a friend of a friend so I'm always honest with him and tell him its a dog.
He says "bummer, but I have this 5'8 super buzz that I haven't ridden in years.
It's original FCS and I refuse to buy fins for it - do you want it for free?"

Stocked. Will buy him a case of beers.

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think it could float you and I actually think a bigger guy could get the drive out of it. It's 30.7 liters but if you factor in the rounded nose it's probably close to 31.7 liters or 32 liters cause it's EPS. Paddles really well. I'm 190 and it's too much for me.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
this is interesting. have you contacted Stretchy?
somewhere buried on this thread are rocker outlines on top of one another. you had a superbuzz too, right? did you notice any difference in rockers? that one is supposed to have more nose broker than mr buzz, i think:unsure: (this has nothing to do with your issue huh? just wondering cuz my new superbuzz should be arriving anyday )

I know they tweak their models a bit based on preference. for example we got some Square ones. My board is more beefie and the outline looks stubbier than my friends board. His is just more "bladey" overall. i tried his board and did not like. well waves were small but it was a frggn knife. He wasn't totally sold on the board either. But we went surfing the other day (waves had a little more push) and he was catching anything and everything on that thing. I'm like "fck man, good thing you didn't like it." he caught all the best waves. it was clearly working for him. he wasn't even paddling that hard!
my board is the blue one 6'0 and his is the green is maybe 6'1".

Just my experience...

Attachments

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
this is interesting. have you contacted Stretchy?
somewhere buried on this thread are rocker outlines on top of one another. you had a superbuzz too, right? did you notice any difference in rockers? that one is supposed to have more nose broker than mr buzz, i think:unsure: (this has nothing to do with your issue huh? just wondering cuz my new superbuzz should be arriving anyday )

I know they tweak their models a bit based on preference. for example we got some Square ones. My board is more beefie and the outline looks stubbier than my friends board. His is just more "bladey" overall. i tried his board and did not like. well waves were small but it was a frggn knife. He wasn't totally sold on the board either. But we went surfing the other day (waves had a little more push) and he was catching anything and everything on that thing. I'm like "fck man, good thing you didn't like it." he caught all the best waves. it was clearly working for him. he wasn't even paddling that hard!
my board is the blue one 6'0 and his is the green is maybe 6'1".

Just my experience...

I'm gonna contact stretch/dylan. Just to give them honest feedback since they seem like honest guys. Not expecting anything out of it - part of the risk of going custom.

- I've had 4 superbuzzes (two used ones that I loved and one used one I didn't like and a custom I didn't like).
- I've had two Quadfish (one used (magic) and one custom (not magic).
- I've had the used MrBuzz (top 3 boards I've ever owned) and this custom MrBuzz (not stocked).

So the moral of the story is: I'm shitty at ordering. Gonna stick to used/stock ones.

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I wanted to get a custom fish then I realized there is a high probability I screw up on dims so may just ask for the model in the stretch store right now.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
The most consistently good boards I got were from a shaper that is the same size as me. I told him to shape one for himself and I'll buy it. Never gave him any numbers or input. Every one I got from him was good. He's currently not shaping otherwise I'd order one.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
The most consistently good boards I got were from a shaper that is the same size as me. I told him to shape one for himself and I'll buy it. Never gave him any numbers or input. Every one I got from him was good. He's currently not shaping otherwise I'd order one.
That’s actually a very good model

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
5'3" at 32L does seem chunky. I weigh 190 and 32L seems about right, but my buzz is 5'8" 33L. A little longer rail will give you more drive I think. At 5'3" maybe go with 28L so the rail knifes into the wave more, but of course it will sacrifice paddle power.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I'd honestly give it another shot or two with different fins. That kind of sounded like a classic fin problem. I'm really really not a fan of split keels and what you described is pretty akin to my experiences with them.

Also, the waves you describe, I usually find it hard to ride stubby boards in those conditions, even if catching waves isn't a problem.

I've never had a stretch that was a dud but I do feel like I've had to spend a lot of time dialing in the fins and that every shape is kind of different.

It's also possible that the Mr. Buzz is one of those kinds of shapes where it only works when it's a little bit under-volumed???

Either way, hope you sort it out or if it's not a fit you can recoup a decent amount of your $$$.

Last edited: