stretch boards support and board pron thread

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'd honestly give it another shot or two with different fins. That kind of sounded like a classic fin problem. I'm really really not a fan of split keels and what you described is pretty akin to my experiences with them.

Also, the waves you describe, I usually find it hard to ride stubby boards in those conditions, even if catching waves isn't a problem.

I've never had a stretch that was a dud but I do feel like I've had to spend a lot of time dialing in the fins and that every shape is kind of different.

It's also possible that the Mr. Buzz is one of those kinds of shapes where it only works when it's a little bit under-volumed???

Either way, hope you sort it out or if it's not a fit you can recoup a decent amount of your $$$.
I really think it's meant to be undervolumed. When I asked about them years ago, Dave told me 5'3 x 19" x 2.1" SK8 deck and I thought that was insane. The used one that I LOVE is 5'3 x 19.25" x 2.2" SK8 deck at 29 liters. I'm going back to that one and just dealing with it, it's at the low end of my guild factor.

Reactions: MathDebater

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I'd honestly give it another shot or two with different fins. That kind of sounded like a classic fin problem. I'm really really not a fan of split keels and what you described is pretty akin to my experiences with them.

Also, the waves you describe, I usually find it hard to ride stubby boards in those conditions, even if catching waves isn't a problem.

I've never had a stretch that was a dud but I do feel like I've had to spend a lot of time dialing in the fins and that every shape is kind of different.

It's also possible that the Mr. Buzz is one of those kinds of shapes where it only works when it's a little bit under-volumed???

Either way, hope you sort it out or if it's not a fit you can recoup a decent amount of your $$$.
My first custom from stretch was superbuzz and also first stubby 5'2" 19 5" 2 375" and I got it with FU#3. First board felt like I was dragging a anchor no drive. Tried and liked St#3 thruster set but still wanted quad speed so got the FU#2 set and never looked back. Use #2 for all hpsb stubby and #3 worked great for gbuzz or grovel.

Reactions: kai kane

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I really think it's meant to be undervolumed. When I asked about them years ago, Dave told me 5'3 x 19" x 2.1" SK8 deck and I thought that was insane. The used one that I LOVE is 5'3 x 19.25" x 2.2" SK8 deck at 29 liters. I'm going back to that one and just dealing with it, it's at the low end of my guild factor.
I feel like I read a comment in the Tomo thread a long time ago that made a certain amount of sense about sizing them to be a little less volume than a "normal" board for daily driver duties. Mr. Buzz isn't a tomo but it's somewhat similar in that it's very short and yet not super wide. So if you take the volume of a board a foot longer and try to squeeze it all into the shorter package without adding width you'll probably end up with rails that are too fat.

I don't know if that's your problem. The way you described it sounds like a rocker issue but you never know.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
So I sold the new one. It was painful but the new owner already told me it works great for him. Must have just been me.

I've gone back to the old one for two sessions now and I think I really appreciate how good it is and it doesn't feel that under volumed any more. The new one was too much volume, but now the old one feels perfect. It's 29 liters with a rounded nose, if it had a pointy nose it would be 30 liters which is right in my wheel house. So I bought a new one, sold it at a loss, in order to realize how much I like my old one. Also, I got the used one for $300, which is about what I took as a loss in selling the new one, so it all works out. At least that's how I'm justifying it in my head.

RE Tomos: I had a magic Nano (28 liters) and a magic Evo (28 liters), so I'm happy with my Mr Buzz at 29 liters.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
Initial ride review: 2win

Board: 5'10" x 19.25" x 2.3" ~28L
Me: 5'9" x 155

I've ridden a Stretch 2win fish for 3+ years as my "daily driver" at Ocean Beach and have become addicted to the twin fin feeling, to the point where getting on my quad shortboards felt slow and I was having trouble switching boards. It meant I wasn't grabbing a shortboard when the conditions warranted it (barrels, bigger inside bar waves) and so I wanted a board with more rail line and rocker that still had that speed and freedom.

Explained this to Stretch and he recommended these dims (~1L less volume than my fish) and away we went. Ordering process was seamless as always and the board came out exactly the way I wanted. It's a "shortboard" but the outline is very full through the nose and tail. Decent tail rocker and pretty flat nose rocker like most of Stretch's boards. Fins are pretty far up on the board compared to my fish (hence the traction pad placement :shaka:) and rails are nicely foiled.

First couple of sessions were kind of a shocker -- I rode the board first with Stretch 5.125" twins and then Captain Fin Chippa twins and it felt WAY too loose. Couple moments of brilliance and high speed but generally was hard to surf. I kept going to bigger fins and ended up with the Alkali twins (which are larger base, upright 5.25"+) which finally started to feel better.

Have only ridden the board at Ocean Beach in a variety of conditions ranging from waist high bad waves to head high + waves with push. The board has only gone better the bigger and more critical the waves are. Incredibly loose off the top even at high speed but without any need to nurse it off the bottom. In my experience it is NOT a daily driver -- hasn't felt great on flat-faced waves (unless they are overhead) and has gone way better in square surf. Super easy entry with the flat and wide nose and the ability to take a high line like on a fish combined with shortboard performance is a rad combination.

It's definitely a loose board, even with the big fins -- Stretch actually recommended a trailer fin (I like twins so I said no) but I think if you ride 3 or even 4 fins most of the time, it would help make the board feel more normal. Even for me it's definitely a transition from my other twin.

Board is a keeper and I am stoked to ride it in some actual surf at some point.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I like the futures K2 Keel Alpha on my 2win without trailer. Good price on those now too. I had the same feeling with the stretch twins being too lose and lacking drive, the rasta keels were too big. Generally, I like surfing it at square waves, the hook, kellys at out going tide, montara etc... smaller days on incoming tide I'm on my fatbat. Bigger days its the super buzz or 2x4.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

I've ridden a Stretch 2win fish for 3+ years as my "daily driver" at Ocean Beach and have become addicted to the twin fin feeling, to the point where getting on my quad shortboards felt slow and I was having trouble switching boards. It meant I wasn't grabbing a shortboard when the conditions warranted it (barrels, bigger inside bar waves) and so I wanted a board with more rail line and rocker that still had that speed and freedom.

Explained this to Stretch and he recommended these dims (~1L less volume than my fish) and away we went. Ordering process was seamless as always and the board came out exactly the way I wanted. It's a "shortboard" but the outline is very full through the nose and tail. Decent tail rocker and pretty flat nose rocker like most of Stretch's boards. Fins are pretty far up on the board compared to my fish (hence the traction pad placement :shaka:) and rails are nicely foiled.

First couple of sessions were kind of a shocker -- I rode the board first with Stretch 5.125" twins and then Captain Fin Chippa twins and it felt WAY too loose. Couple moments of brilliance and high speed but generally was hard to surf. I kept going to bigger fins and ended up with the Alkali twins (which are larger base, upright 5.25"+) which finally started to feel better.

Have only ridden the board at Ocean Beach in a variety of conditions ranging from waist high bad waves to head high + waves with push. The board has only gone better the bigger and more critical the waves are. Incredibly loose off the top even at high speed but without any need to nurse it off the bottom. In my experience it is NOT a daily driver -- hasn't felt great on flat-faced waves (unless they are overhead) and has gone way better in square surf. Super easy entry with the flat and wide nose and the ability to take a high line like on a fish combined with shortboard performance is a rad combination.

It's definitely a loose board, even with the big fins -- Stretch actually recommended a trailer fin (I like twins so I said no) but I think if you ride 3 or even 4 fins most of the time, it would help make the board feel more normal. Even for me it's definitely a transition from my other twin.

After a half dozen times surfing my AO twin I removed my 5 piece pad and ran wax from tail to nose instead. I found twin needs back foot on or in front of fins. I really like TA glass twins for carvy and drivey twin feel instead of top to bottom surf.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016

Where did you get those Alkali Ellis fins?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco

Ready to twin it up out there bru :shaka:

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Found an old photo on my magic 5'7 super buzz. It wasn't CFT, just regular EPS, so after riding it for 15 months straight - it buckled 3 times (fixed twice then retired it).

I like this photo, the perfect canvas fo a skatey stub board! nice one!

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
A buddy of mine picked one up on CL not to long ago, he hasn't ridden it yet, it definitely looks like it want's a good wave.