Stand Your Ground defense fails

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Autoprax said:
My advice is always the same. RUN!
That's the first thing you learn in martial arts (at least the non-Cobra Kai ones) is to run. Or at least kick the other guy in the balls and then run. I did this a lot in middle school.

Then there's Krav Maga where you will dismember the other guy but you always do the final kick in the balls. Gouge eyes, rip throat out with teeth, then kick in the balls.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Kento said:
Autoprax said:
That's the first thing you learn in martial arts (at least the non-Cobra Kai ones) is to run. Or at least kick the other guy in the balls and then run. I did this a lot in middle school.

Then there's Krav Maga where you will dismember the other guy but you always do the final kick in the balls. Gouge eyes, rip throat out with teeth, then kick in the balls.
Krav maga...lol.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Duffy said:
Kento said:
Autoprax said:

Krav maga...lol.
It cracked me the fuck up. One of my best friends in high school did Krav Maga for a while. He used to laugh about it with us. Every sequence of strikes always ended with a kick to the groin. No matter what. Even if you fired an M-16 into someone's mouth, effectively blowing off their head, you would still finish with a kick to the groin.

I thought this was particularly hilarious since it was solely my go-to/end move before I cut loose to parent/teacher like a good little wuss. :monkey:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
KM (the type you learn in the strip mall dojos) is worthless in an actual self defense situation.

It’s actually worse than worthless.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I think it could be helpful if you fought an untrained fighter.

If you are sparring twice a week you are going to be harder to beat up.

Hopefully you don't meet a skilled fighter.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Autoprax said:

But they don’t spar. They do preset choreographed sequences.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Plus, you gouge my eye you just elevated the fight to another level. Always better to go for de-escalation.

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube
Autoprax said:

That's not the case with most MA.

They have rules and guidelines that give people the false sense of ability (like one landed punch will end a fight).

I've never liked a belt merit system, size matters and if your not going to go until the end, it's all just show window BS.

That's why BJJ and Muay Thai are KING and is all you need to defend yourself.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Duffy said:
Autoprax said:

That's why I kinda laughed about jujitsu and aikido. Grab my hand. No. Not that way. This way.

Well, it might work in Canada. They are pretty patient and accommodating.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Greg Griffin said:
What is the percentage of legal gun owners who kill an innocent ?

What is the percentage of legal concealed carry who shoot an innocent ?

1 % 2 % 3% ?
No clue. Why do you ask?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Greg Griffin said:
What is the percentage of legal gun owners who kill an innocent ?

What is the percentage of legal concealed carry who shoot an innocent ?

1 % 2 % 3% ?
Why not Google it to make sure you know what the facts are, instead of asking stupid questions on the erBB thinking that you have a point?

In every place in the US where guns are prevalent and concealed carry is legal, there are significantly more homicides, particularly gun homicides.

That statistic alone should answer your question.

But wait, there's more...

American Journal of Epidemiology said:
Persons with guns in the home were at greater risk of dying from a homicide in the home than those without guns in the home.” This study determined that the presence of guns in the home increased an individual’s risk of death by homicide by 90%.

Using a gun in self-defense is no more likely to reduce the chance of being injured during a crime than various other forms of protective action. At least one study has found that carrying a firearm significantly increases a person’s risk of being shot in an assault; research published in the American Journal of Public Health reported that, even after adjusting for confounding factors, individuals who were in possession of a gun were about 4.5 times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not in possession.

No but wait...

National Crime Victimization Survey said:
Looking at the total number of self-protective behaviors undertaken by victims of both attempted and
completed violent crime for the five-year period 2007 through 2011, in only 0.8 percent of these instances had the intended victim in resistance to a criminal “threatened or attacked with a firearm.”

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Greg Griffin said:
Seems to be your big issue

Show us this percentage
I did. Here's more:

99% of mass shooters were law abiding citizens with legally obtained guns.

But you've made the claim, so you should show me the percentage.

Guessing doesn't count. :poke:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I you want to make breakfast, you got to scramble some eggs?

If some innocent people need to be killed it's worth it so gun lovers can be their own cool character in their imaginary movie that is there life?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Gun hobby is the most important thing to Americans.

It's a libertarian dream in which you can do whatever you want even if it harms people around you.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
Kento said:
Duffy said:
Autoprax said:

That's why I kinda laughed about jujitsu and aikido. Grab my hand. No. Not that way. This way.

Well, it might work in Canada. They are pretty patient and accommodating.
jiu-jitsu originated in japan and from what i've read was — as taught back in the day — fooking gnarly. dislocating jaws, breaking bones, etc.

the high level jiu-jitsu teachers were "bone setters" back in the 19th century meaning they knew how to reset broken, dislocated bones. there were apparently over 700 distinct styles of jiu-jitsu in japan at that time with different emphasis so some were more focused on striking and other grappling, etc.

judo was developed in, in part, as a response to jiu-jitsu with the idea that a full contact style of fighting could be developed without all blood and guts. i've started judo classes and really enjoy it. you learn how to create imbalance in your opponent and then throw the opponent to the ground; there's also a ground fighting component. it's a bit rough but so far no worse than the abuse i took in karate.

BJJ is derived from judo and is a totally different deal with much more complex grappling on the ground. never tried BJJ but it looks fun.

aikido? i don't know much about that but i think it has something to do with learning how to fight against an opponent with a sword if you lost your sword. one of the fighting styles developed by the samurai.