Smaller Bead EPS?

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
EPS groveler I liked immediately. I won't get a board that's solely for less than head high in poly again unless maybe it's the first iteration of a model I'm moving into. I'd try to get an EPS version as soon as possible if I liked it. EPS in small waves is a cheat code.
I used to prefer EPS in small waves as well. They’re lighter and more “flicky” for quick transitions in small and mostly dumpy waves. I had a quiver of Dark Arts dedicated to small waves.
24E874D0-68E8-4943-B18F-9524D02A4774.jpeg
BEC6156D-1801-4A70-9B6E-F092E966B336.jpeg
They went fine but I knew I could find something I liked more. So I had my friend Andy Prunauer at Proper Surfboards(small South Bay outfit) build me some stringerless Poly/PU/carbon boards. So far they feel great, I like that they still have the some the lightness(not as light as EPS) with 1 layer of carbon and but the drive and dampness of poly foam. I get more projection from bottom turns and they maintain speed when pumping down the line on a small wave to make sections before they closeout. I’m surprised he’s still the only one willing to do poly/carbon. Maybe the big brands just don’t want to adapt, experiment, or change their board building habits. Here are the first 3 from Andy. 6’8, 5’7, 5’4
IMG_6644.jpeg
IMG_6645.jpegIMG_9347.jpeg

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've tried just about everything and I still love a good, light EPS grovel board. I don't prefer them for bigger waves but if glassed heavily enough I can still cope.

XTR and Varial are a nice middle ground with XTR being a little more lively and Varial being a little more damp, I think. A little more or less glass depending on the intended wave size and you're good to go.

PU is still good and predictable for bigger waves, bumpy waves. It's seems kind of amazing that it's retained such a dominant spot in surfboards for this long but its not without reason.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Speaking of bead size, I was looking at some Aftermath EPS boards at a local shop a few years back and they had the biggest beads ive ever seen. Looked like a cooler at gas station. And they were glasses in mystery glassing :(
You could see the jagged cuts on the foam. The guy can make some good boards but I did not like the look of those EPS

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I liked Pyzel's comment about how Kai Lenny liked EPS because of his kite boarding and tow surfing and how he is accustomed to being on top of the water, whereas most are not comfortable with that on top of the water feeling.

Reactions: JDJ

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I used to prefer EPS in small waves as well. They’re lighter and more “flicky” for quick transitions in small and mostly dumpy waves. I had a quiver of Dark Arts dedicated to small waves.
View attachment 156547
View attachment 156548
They went fine but I knew I could find something I liked more. So I had my friend Andy Prunauer at Proper Surfboards(small South Bay outfit) build me some stringerless Poly/PU/carbon boards. So far they feel great, I like that they still have the some the lightness(not as light as EPS) with 1 layer of carbon and but the drive and dampness of poly foam. I get more projection from bottom turns and they maintain speed when pumping down the line on a small wave to make sections before they closeout. I’m surprised he’s still the only one willing to do poly/carbon. Maybe the big brands just don’t want to adapt, experiment, or change their board building habits. Here are the first 3 from Andy. 6’8, 5’7, 5’4
View attachment 156549
View attachment 156550View attachment 156556
Dark Arts says the do poly/carbon builds. They can also add kevlar to the mix.

They're currently making some for JJF.

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

Varial can also do them. I saw some stock carbon builds that were PU blanks. Was told the shaper wanted to try a batch. Personally, I really like the varial foam + carbon build i got recently… but YMMV or @waxurDyl ’s MMV

Last edited:

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay

For JJF, yes….but not for average Joes like us just yet. BUT they’ve been testing and tweaking that construction, so they’re getting a lil closer to making them available to us. Told Justin I wanted another JT fish, but in poly/carbon this time. He said he’d let me know when

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb, Havoc and JDJ

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
For JJF, yes….but not for average Joes like us just yet. BUT they’ve been testing and tweaking that construction, so they’re getting a lil closer to making them available to us. Told Justin I wanted another JT fish, but in poly/carbon this time. He said he’d let me know when
Stupid question, but would that be stringered PU or stringerless (is that even a thing?)?
What are your 3 Proctor ones?

Reactions: waxurDyl

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Stupid question, but would that be stringered PU or stringerless (is that even a thing?)?
What are your 3 Proctor ones?
Justin just did a podcast with Bassy on the Boardroom Show recently and said he's been experimenting with them a few different ways.

Some were poly w/ stringers, some were poly w/out stringers, some were poly with a high density EPS stringer.......and then he was playing with the lam materials and lap thicknesses.

He made it sound like the average customer could ask for a poly core based on how he was talking to Bassy. But I personally haven't inquired about it. I'm sure @waxurDyl has the most current info.