Smaller Bead EPS?

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
I've found the best method to truly dial in lightweight eps boards is to use an extraordinary amount of wax until I get the weight right. Too chattery? More wax! Always overwax! It's science.
Yeah most times I love to go full wax, no pad, but on an eps board that was too light and was riding weird, i went full pad and the board feels so much better now...

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Where does lib tech fit in? eps/xps but more weight and less(no) flex. I've been feeling out a rocket redux in lib for a few months and still have no idea if it's a keeper

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
in 2006 at the start of our compsand journey we were building our own homemade EPS blanks using 0.75 lb HomeDepot foam and woven bamboo flat "springers". With bottom contours shaped into the flat sheet prior to bagging or pressed in using a call from another board. Springer, rocker, bottom skin and and contour all pressed in via vacuum bag at the same time. Outline cut and HD rails glued on (either HD foam or blue dow) or even wood/cork like Bert's boards. Then the deck/profile/rails were shaped before the top skin applied. Usually 1/16" to 3/16" balsa, paulownia, cedar or wiliwili. The blanks were layered 2" tops and 1" bottoms with HD foam or balsa inserts for the fin boxes. Sometimes we'd link the boxes with more woven bamboo mat on the bottom under the bottom skin like futures did way back. The springer blanks had allot of pop and the thick wood skins gave the 0.75 foam enough strength. Then we discovered the pre-molded EPS blanks from Marko and even played around with blue dow. I like the tap test on blue dow compared to tapping PU they have a similar timbre/bounce back and cut and sand the same. Just that blue down is a bitch to glass. The wood skins prevented allot of the delams you'd get with just glass. Core Cork on the deck and carbon like bottoms seemed the best mix with a high frequency timbre core.

We never had the funds and space to buy those large EPS blocks to cut our own blanks so we made our own or bought markos from Jim and Jeff at surflight. this was way before EPS was widely available like it is today.

I think a stringered 2lb EPS galssed with ResinX and S cloth or something similar would have the best pop (bammbamm demoed this to me) as ResinX seemed to be the most flexible epoxy I saw but things have changed so much since back then. It was a fun ride though, we learned allot and pioneered allot of things that seemed to on later with better tech and chemicals than what we had as a bunch of garage hacks.

Attachments

Jul 4, 2008
in 2006 at the start of our compsand journey we were building our own homemade EPS blanks using 0.75 lb HomeDepot foam and woven bamboo flat "springers". With bottom contours shaped into the flat sheet prior to bagging or pressed in using a call from another board. Springer, rocker, bottom skin and and contour all pressed in via vacuum bag at the same time. Outline cut and HD rails glued on (either HD foam or blue dow) or even wood/cork like Bert's boards. Then the deck/profile/rails were shaped before the top skin applied. Usually 1/16" to 3/16" balsa, paulownia, cedar or wiliwili. The blanks were layered 2" tops and 1" bottoms with HD foam or balsa inserts for the fin boxes. Sometimes we'd link the boxes with more woven bamboo mat on the bottom under the bottom skin like futures did way back. The springer blanks had allot of pop and the thick wood skins gave the 0.75 foam enough strength. Then we discovered the pre-molded EPS blanks from Marko and even played around with blue dow. I like the tap test on blue dow compared to tapping PU they have a similar timbre/bounce back and cut and sand the same. Just that blue down is a bitch to glass. The wood skins prevented allot of the delams you'd get with just glass. Core Cork on the deck and carbon like bottoms seemed the best mix with a high frequency timbre core.

We never had the funds and space to buy those large EPS blocks to cut our own blanks so we made our own or bought markos from Jim and Jeff at surflight. this was way before EPS was widely available like it is today.

I think a stringered 2lb EPS galssed with ResinX and S cloth or something similar would have the best pop (bammbamm demoed this to me) as ResinX seemed to be the most flexible epoxy I saw but things have changed so much since back then. It was a fun ride though, we learned allot and pioneered allot of things that seemed to on later with better tech and chemicals than what we had as a bunch of garage hacks.

Hey Oneula,

I remember those days well. It was an exciting time on Sways. You and your brother were definitely among those leading the charge into alt construction techniques.

I recently did a search for ResinX to see if he was still around. Didn't find anything. I'll have to dig through emails from 15 years ago to find old contact info. Does anyone know if it's still on the market, perhaps under another product name? It seemed like a no-brainer solution to fin box installs. EPS friendly and no exotherm. I couldn't convince him to sell it in smaller kits so people could try it out. Would like to get my hands on some if it exists.

Thanks either way.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
might be a rumor, but I think Matt Campbell the guy who sold ResinX passed away.
I don't think that epoxy was made for boards.
I ended up getting epoxy poisoning from it after getting it all over my legs while glassing with my brother who's a sloppy glasser. Had to go to emergency after blowing up like a puffer fish.
It was the start of my board building decline
not as my fun when you have to do it in a full hazmat suit with forced air.

• Wow
Reactions: One-Off and JDJ

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
EPS is cheaper and more readily available worldwide. And consumers choose cheaper more often than not.

If EPS had been the starting point for everyone, then PUPE might have never been a thing. Poly would feel heavy, and sluggish compared to the accustomed accepted as "natural" feel of EPS. Then adaptation to newer XTR and Varial type foams could have evolved to the norm possibly. HST, surfers are stereotyped as cheap, impatient, and often lazy. Poly construction lines up pretty well with that so it might have been hard to stop from being our "natural" unless it didn't exist.

Many entrants are now starting with EPS constructions and staying with them. Poly might become the weird feel for most over time. The other newer foams or more complicated EPS/Epoxy constructions may be seen as the next step in progression when ordering or buying a board. Currently you might get to those long after riding poly, more standard EPS or Asian EPS constructions.
If aerial surfing becomes the primary judging criteria ( which the WSL can’t seem to make up its mind about iirc Felipe won El Sal with no airs on his scoring waves) I think eps epoxy will be increasingly the de facto go to.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Dark Arts says the do poly/carbon builds. They can also add kevlar to the mix.

They're currently making some for JJF.
What advantage would you get from Kevlar? Ding protection? I can think of some disadvantages. UV breakdown (has to be painted with opaques ) and it can’t be sanded.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Resin Research uses 2000 for boards. But they also have 2020 and 2040 which are more flexible. I never tried the softer formulations. Anybody?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
What advantage would you get from Kevlar? Ding protection? I can think of some disadvantages. UV breakdown (has to be painted with opaques ) and it can’t be sanded.
He said he was doing it to control the dampening.

As I understand it, JJF wanted a carbon fiber board that felt a little closer to poly. I'm assuming full CF felt to stiff for him.

The kevlar addition was on the bottom (if I'm not mistaken) w/ CF on top.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
At what point does it just make sense to ride poly? Seems like a lot of cost and effort just to get the board to feel and ride like a construction that is readily available.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
At what point does it just make sense to ride poly? Seems like a lot of cost and effort just to get the board to feel and ride like a construction that is readily available.
My understanding is that JJF is looking for durability as well.

A magic board that lasts longer than a standard poly.

Reactions: Havoc and JDJ

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Duuu has like unlimited free time and unlimited waves.

what would you be doing if you didn’t have to “work”? I’d be tinkering with chit I enjoy playing with tweaks all fooking day.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Obvs it will have 4S+4E x 4 on the poly side while the EPS side gets a quad axial E-cloth lam and a parabolic carbon fiber rail.
Carbon rails are so 2012. It’s all about the asym carbon deck swirls. That’s where the real flex happens

• Love
Reactions: jkb and Havoc