Smaller Bead EPS?

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
is this such a thing? andrew kidman mentioned this in podcast that eps more lively due to eps beads being big and transfering more energy further. smaller beads likely damp better

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I always thought blank density was defined by bead size, no matter if PU or EPS. High density foam = smaller beads, less flex, more weight, stronger
It would also have to do with the packing structure of the beads as well.

Reactions: claw87 and Havoc

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Keahana EPS is very small beads. Had my last 3 locally shaped boards shaped with it, and bought the last blank he had for myself to shape. I dont think theyre in business anymore though. The bead structure is closer to XTR/ extruded than EPS. Good weight to strength ratio

Reactions: JDJ and Havoc
Jul 4, 2008
PU and XTR foam don't have beads. They're just a single contiguous hunk of foamed plastic, which makes them easier to shape. No beads to tear out, and limited ability for water to penetrate deep into the foam. And fairly universally agreed to have better vibration damping than EPS.

EPS is made by expanding tiny pellets of polystyrene in a mold of some kind, whether it's a cooler, surfboard blank, or giant billet you can hotwire. Higher density EPS is inherently going to have smaller beads. After a lot of trial-and-error in the early post-Clark era, I thought the industry generally settled on 1.5 to 2.0-lb density EPS as the happy medium. 3-lb foam does exist, but I've only ever heard of it being used in Hawaii. Expensive. Personally I've never seen it in the wild.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I use US Blanks "superfused." I don't know about the size of the beads but the beads are much more tightly packed together with much less space/air between them.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
heard Burch is using beads big as marbles....ball sized beads even. He lets you roll em around in your mouth when you leave that 1k deposit...no teeth! gums only
It’s no coincidence that his dong and a customer’s mouth are a snug fit.

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
Honest question, why is EPS even a thing in surfboards? If extruded closed cell foam like XTR and varial is easier to shape, waterproof, and has a more natural feel then why would anyone choose an eps blank? Is it really that much cheaper to manufacture? Eps seems to absorb water like a sponge as soon as it's open thru a ding...

However, some really know what they're doing. Stretch obviously has it down and makes some of the best quality boards in the biz

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
Surely someone can develop a more market available blank from closed cell foam thats not the exact same formula as varial/xtr though? Closed cell foam is used in all sorts of residential/commercial construction. Would be so stoked if my local shapers could offer a semi-waterpoof foam that isn't a pain in the ass for them to shape and/or didn't cost significantly more. I'm sold on XTRs foam but wish it could be a viable option for east coast shapers. Varial is too expensive imo for a stringerless board and I've seen some people with them and they look like golf balls after not much abuse.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Surely someone can develop a more market available blank from closed cell foam thats not the exact same formula as varial/xtr though? Closed cell foam is used in all sorts of residential/commercial construction. Would be so stoked if my local shapers could offer a semi-waterpoof foam that isn't a pain in the ass for them to shape and/or didn't cost significantly more. I'm sold on XTRs foam but wish it could be a viable option for east coast shapers. Varial is too expensive imo for a stringerless board and I've seen some people with them and they look like golf balls after not much abuse.
FCD do and Rusty did, iirc.

rusty couldnt get the venting right and had delam issues. eventually partnered with xtr for their venting tricks but the construction from them is no more.

imo, the drama with regard to Varial price and denting is overblown.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I use US Blanks "superfused." I don't know about the size of the beads but the beads are much more tightly packed together with much less space/air between them.
More air between the beads translates into your board sucking up water like a sponge when dinged. Tighter structures keep the water localized. Looser structures pull water in and it then can migrate all through the board. When grubby first called it quits we were cutting some super shitty EPS that had big loosely packed beads. If you got a ding in that stuff you were drilling holes in your board and using a vacuum system to try and remove the water. Or just drilling the holes nose and tail and leaving the board standing up in a corner as you hoped the water slowly dripped out.

We use a vacuum system to hold blanks down on the machine for cutting. With one pound beads, the air is sucking through the entire blank so fast via the open structure that the vacuum frequently fails to hold the blank in place. The system can't get any traction with the air coming into the blank so fast. It's a pain in the ass. I used to glue plastic to the blank on one side to enable a solid hold-down. Now I mostly just refuse to cut it.

Last edited: