Should I stay or should i go?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
For about 5 minutes i investigated what it would be like to sell my home and buy a condo or something smaller here on the beach. Wake up call. I bought my home in 2015, with a considerable "Hurricane Sandy discount"

Even with the gains of the last 8 years, if i sold, and then put 20-30% down on a condo, i would still be looking at like, $600-700 for a 2 or 3 br apartment. And a house? forget it. tear downs for $750. No thanks.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Well fvck.

We went and saw the place yesterday. It's really small and super junky. Badly taken care of interior and a few bad home improvement jobs. All that being said, we could make it work space wise if we made some substantial changes.

But

then we did the numbers, and even if we put %20 down (which we would have to borrow some of) our monthly housing expense would be over $1,000 more than what we are paying right now. (before storage and practice space costs)
And, any improvements we make to the place would NOT increase the sale price at all.

And, I kinda don't want to stay here. Growing up, I was always very good at mixing with the rich people, but as an adult it's different. And, with the warming climate, I think it's gonna get much much worse. I see quite a lot of normal looking people who live in their cars, and I can imagine that the service class (teachers, nurses, retail, etc.) will be completely priced out of the whole region in 10 years, and that there will be a very unpleasant dichotomous life style here (I guess trichotomous, if you count the ever increasing homeless population)

I'm over it. i want to live in a place with more regular people. I'm done struggling with this sh!t.

So, we are going to say no.

Thanks all for your good (and bad, lol) advice. It was truly helpful in the pondering of this situation.

:waving:
here is the answer to all your current problems

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
For about 5 minutes i investigated what it would be like to sell my home and buy a condo or something smaller here on the beach. Wake up call. I bought my home in 2015, with a considerable "Hurricane Sandy discount"

Even with the gains of the last 8 years, if i sold, and then put 20-30% down on a condo, i would still be looking at like, $600-700 for a 2 or 3 br apartment. And a house? forget it. tear downs for $750. No thanks.
I am in the same boat with a fully paid off condo that has increased dramatically in value, but looking at the cost to replicate elsewhere(beach, river access) it looks like we will be staying put.

Reactions: Subway

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
I am curious what your rent is now? $1800 more than you are paying?
I was thinking the same thing so I ran 470k (485K less 3% down) into a basic online mortgage calculator at 7.82% (interest rates are a killer right now) for a 30 year fixed and it spat out $3,390 per month. Then you would have PMI with that little down which could be +/- $225. Did I see he'd have an HOA of $500 a month as well? Then there's property taxes he's not paying as a renter and a tick up from renters insurance to homenowners. For discussion let's say that's +/- $800 a month. Suddenly we're at $4,900 or so a month. If his rent is currently 3 grand this $1,800 difference isn't as inconcievable as I thought.

That said I'd probably bite the bullet and do it. There's nothing like living next to the beach. I miss it everyday. Anywhere that's cool is going to cost at least this much, probably WAY more. Eventually interest rates will come down again and when they do you'll refinance and by then you'll be used to the payment and then it'll be easy. You can always sell it if you decide you really dont like it or the cost. As others have said, it's nice knowing what your outlay for your home is each month and that it's yours and not someone elses (who can jack up the rent or kick you out). The way things are going you probably won't pay less to live somewhere you're stoked about whether you're renting or owning. So grab it.

I'm currently staring down college for my two kids but lurking out there right past it is how to get them into home ownership as soon as they are ready. It's way different than when I was coming up.

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I'm currently staring down college for my two kids but lurking out there right past it is how to get them into home ownership as soon as they are ready. It's way different than when I was coming up.
My plan is to buy a house for my kid to live in once he goes to college. If I have 2 around the same age that go to the same school, even better. Let him find his own roommates and if it turns a profit he can pocket it. Maybe outline some kind of deal where if he makes XX years of payments it becomes his, and at that point he can decide whether he lives in it or rolls the equity into somewhere else.

We will see- I've got 16+ years before we are at the starting point. Either way I see almost all desirable beach, mountain and college towns becoming unaffordable for most in the very near future.

Reactions: bruhdakine

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
It’s almost like you have to forget some people are paying 3% on a million dollar loan to justify paying 7% interest on a half million loan for less “house” than the 3% folks.

Last edited:

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
My plan is to buy a house for my kid to live in once he goes to college. If I have 2 around the same age that go to the same school, even better. Let him find his own roommates and if it turns a profit he can pocket it. Maybe outline some kind of deal where if he makes XX years of payments it becomes his, and at that point he can decide whether he lives in it or rolls the equity into somewhere else.

We will see- I've got 16+ years before we are at the starting point. Either way I see almost all desirable beach, mountain and college towns becoming unaffordable for most in the very near future.
It's a great idea. I had a gf in college who was living in this super nice house her parents had bought with the same idea. She had her roommates paying rent and I think ultimately it was hers when she graduated. It's a way better idea than to just pour money into some college housing slumlord's coffers so if you can pull it off it seems like a no brainer. On the flipside she was always worrying about her house and her dad being bummed if anything happened to it. Meanwhile my roommates and I partied with zero fucks given in our shitty rental house. Additionally, I went to Europe for a year and lived in a ski town for a year in between years of school. Dealing with a house full of college renters during those hazy excursions would have been challenging but I guess I would take care of that for my kids in that situation.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
It's a great idea. I had a gf in college who was living in this super nice house her parents had bought with the same idea. She had her roommates paying rent and I think ultimately it was hers when she graduated. It's a way better idea than to just pour money into some college housing slumlord's coffers so if you can pull it off it seems like a no brainer. On the flipside she was always worrying about her house and her dad being bummed if anything happened to it. Meanwhile my roommates and I partied with zero fucks given in our shitty rental house. Additionally, I went to Europe for a year and lived in a ski town for a year in between years of school. Dealing with a house full of college renters during those hazy excursions would have been challenging but I guess I would take care of that for my kids in that situation.
there’s a lot of pressure on a kid to uphold the house and expectations of their parents. I knew a few in college who lost friends over such housing disputes. End up with randoms in the rooms to make the monthly payment. All stress not needed while also drinking mid week, chasing girls and taking the occasional exam.

i think it’s good to buy in the college areas and if your kid goes to school there and wants to live in it, all the better. But I would never work my own child’s contributions into my financial planning.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I was thinking the same thing so I ran 470k (485K less 3% down) into a basic online mortgage calculator at 7.82% (interest rates are a killer right now) for a 30 year fixed and it spat out $3,390 per month. Then you would have PMI with that little down which could be +/- $225. Did I see he'd have an HOA of $500 a month as well? Then there's property taxes he's not paying as a renter and a tick up from renters insurance to homenowners. For discussion let's say that's +/- $800 a month. Suddenly we're at $4,900 or so a month. If his rent is currently 3 grand this $1,800 difference isn't as inconcievable as I thought.
Yep, those are pretty much the numbers. Our rent right now is just below $3k

Curious where you have your sights set on next.
Wife's family is in pennsylvania. I actually really like the pittsburgh area. I have a few place I WON'T live (florida, arizona, texas, alabama) but I'm pretty open beyond that.
My main criteria is there needs to be a hot yoga studio, there needs to be a decent live music scene, and hopefully weed (medicinal or rec) is legal.

Don’t uproot your daughter in high school. Make SB work.
I'm feeling this pretty strongly, and I think my wife is too.
The plan now is to make an appeal to our landlord to rent to us for 3 more years at a similar rate, save what we can, then when she's done with high school we should have enough to get into a nice place elsewhere.

The electric drums are pretty good now.
Most people suck at playing
I play on an electric set and it's a blast! I mean, I still kinda suck, but I do it for fun/stress relief, so whatever.
If I ever need drums for a song, I have a few software/programming options that are much better than my playing.

Reactions: oeste858

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Pittsburgh? shnikeys i thought by "move away from the coast" you just meant like, a half hour drive inland. Yikes.

just thinking about living over the bridge gives me agita. then again, I'm easily agitated... YMMV

Reactions: TeamScam

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Pittsburgh? shnikeys i thought by "move away from the coast" you just meant like, a half hour drive inland. Yikes.
Yeah, the thing is, I don't think there's anywhere in CA 30 min inland that is affordable and/or pleasant. And, I think it's just gonna get hotter. I see no point suffering through bakersfield just to get to Pismo a handful of times per year.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Yeah, the thing is, I don't think there's anywhere in CA 30 min inland that is affordable and/or pleasant. And, I think it's just gonna get hotter. I see no point suffering through bakersfield just to get to Pismo a handful of times per year.
If you are thinking about leaving the coast think about Michigan and Wisconsin, tons of forest and lakes and well situated if the climate really does hit the fan.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

To be 100% fair, I had dreams of such a place when I was about 10. Would have been the ground-based hideout to match the various tree forts/tree perches we built. We got as far as digging out the "basement" when a summer rain turned it into a mosquito pond.....so it goes growing up in Western Oregon.

Last edited:
Reactions: crustBrother

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I would move well east before moving the valley. Hard stop.

From the sound of it, you would probably be house poor if you bought this place. Which is not wholly a bad thing because you get to live exactly where you want, but if trying to make your monthly payment causes that much distress it probably isn't worth it.

Do your best to stay in your current rental, even if it means paying a bit more.

Reactions: Havoc and Boneroni

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah even though i've spent a ton of time in California over the years, I still sometimes forget that "inland" quickly turns into a dry dusty furnace. It's like, you're either ON the coast, or you're in the desert, where it takes forever to get back to the coast just for a surf

tough one. I've never actually set foot in Pittsburgh i'm just being a coastal elite. I hear it's a much more charming city now than years past.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That might be fair assessment. I dont know how someone like Reforest does it, surfs so often commuting from inland. I admire his dedication, but I know I would not have the time/energy to drive that much for surf.

I really, really think its a good move to let your daughter graduate with her friends. After that, she has the chance to make her own life choices. I hope you're able to do that for her.

Probably (hopefully) in 3 years, interest rates will have dropped and borrowing money will be more affordable when it's time for you to find a new place. It sounds like you have a good idea of what you need to be happy somewhere, and dont let us shame you if proximity to ocean/surf is not a factor. I havent spent much time in Pittsburgh, but a lot in PA with my wife's family. The lifestyle, culture, and people are very different from coastal CA, and will require an adjustment for sure. Everyone in Philly says Pittsburgh is more like the midwest than east coast. Not necessarily a bad thing. I think the people would be friendlier.