Should I stay or should i go?

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
K, here's the TLDR:
I live in Santa Barbara, CA.

Lease is up next year, and will be likely priced out in 3 years at the most.

We were chosen 2nd in a local resale of an affordable housing unit.

We could be offered a 950 sq' condo (2bdrm) for $485K, with HOA of about $500.
This condo could not be resold at market for (I think) 30 or more years.

We are 2 adults and a teen daughter, and we have way way too much stuff. Our current place is more than twice that size, and the garage is full to bursting, so this would be an enormous lifestyle change for us. I would need to rent studio space somewhere to play drums/guitar/record.

Is this a terrible idea? I've been open to moving away from the coast, and $485k anywhere could get us a fvcking mansion.

Appreciate any opinions. (even Al Soldano, though I can imagine what it would be)

For your troubles...

6XuxO72.jpeg
62Z01Ogh.jpeg5TUGxME.jpeg

8V5LQVp.jpeg

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
We were chosen 2nd in a local resale of an affordable housing unit.

This condo could not be resold at market for (I think) 30 or more years.
We are 2 adults and a teen daughter, and we have way way too much stuff. Our current place is more than twice that size, and the garage is full to bursting, so this would be an enormous lifestyle change for us. I would need to rent studio space somewhere to play drums/guitar/record.
You won the lottery. Out of how many, 10,000 entries?
Moving away to the mansion is also enormous lifestyle change.

How long can you ponder?

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Man, that's a toughy.
One thing is for certain... If you leave SB, you'll never be able to afford to come back. (with the exception of N. County/Santa Maria:barf:)
How long 'till baby girl fledges out on her own?
Stay here and make it work.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Remote work so you can live anywhere? Do you get a lot of time off?

I think it's hard to live far from the ocean but if you have the ability to go on several 1-week+ surf trips a year to good, uncrowded locations, it's not the worst tradeoff in the world.

But if you're talking about reneging surfing entirely, yeah I dunno if that's a great idea. Months become years and then WTF happened?

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
How long 'till baby girl fledges out on her own?
She is a Sophmore this coming year, so we would probably tough it out renting until she's done and then move somewhere else after.

If you leave SB, you'll never be able to afford to come back.
I know. Even after my parents die, I have 4 younger siblings so I probably couldn't live in their house for long.

Going to see the place on Sunday to try and imagine it.

Reactions: grapedrink

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
You won the lottery. Out of how many, 10,000 entries?
How long can you ponder?
Only 11 entries. This was a resale and I guess not a lot of people know about it :shrug:

I know we have at least a few days to ponder, but I don't think much beyond that.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Can you realistically downsize your storage? I understand having hobbies and if that is all stuff you actively use in pursuit of what brings you value then great- keep it all. If not, consider tossing some stuff.

Either way, be sure that this is a unit that you can live out your days in. 30 years is a long time to wait to sell for a profit.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
No, we can trash a TON of stuff.
But the reduction in space means no piano (my wife is a professional pianist) and no drumset/home studio for me.
So it's a big change
Does she have a grand (or baby grand) piano?

I know this is probably blasphemy for a professional pianist, but some of the electric pianos are pretty damn good and save a ton of space.

Al Soldano

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 18, 2002
Pleasantville
We are 2 adults and a teen daughter,
I would need to rent studio space somewhere to play drums/guitar/record.
Appreciate any opinions. (even Al Soldano, though I can imagine what it would be)
I'm glad the rented studio where you'll play drums/guitar/record is also where you will sleep 7 days per week, while your wife and teen daughter sleep at the 950 sq' condo.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
How often are you surfing? I am betting not much May to Sept. Lots of options outside of CA where you may be surfing just as much if you are working remote. North Carolina would be a good option. Just inland from Nags Head. Have the OBX out the back. Even just inland from Ocean City MD is a good bet. Florida too.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
My friend had 5 kids in 850 square feet. He had outbuildings to store other crap but you’re 3 not 7 so you can definitely downsize. Lemme know if you need me to come over and start putting your stuff in the trash can. I have been drinking .