Should I stay or should i go?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
If you were chosen 2nd, does that mean you only get the opportunity if the first one passes? or has that already happened?
Doesn't sound like you can actually afford to stay in SB long-term housing market. and this seems like a good opportunity at that price in SB, and you could always rent it out to cover the mortgage if plans change. Do what you have to to make it work for the next 3 years to let your kid finish school there and move out for college or greener pastures, then you and the wife would be fine in the smaller space. Depending on your lifestyle, I think moving inland or to say, the Southwest desert states, would be a bigger lifestyle change than getting used to a smaller space and having to rent a storage unit, etc. Trust me, you will miss the ocean if you leave it.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
If you were chosen 2nd, does that mean you only get the opportunity if the first one passes? or has that already happened?
Doesn't sound like you can actually afford to stay in SB long-term housing market. and this seems like a good opportunity at that price in SB, and you could always rent it out to cover the mortgage if plans change. Do what you have to to make it work for the next 3 years to let your kid finish school there and move out for college or greener pastures, then you and the wife would be fine in the smaller space. Depending on your lifestyle, I think moving inland or to say, the Southwest desert states, would be a bigger lifestyle change than getting used to a smaller space and having to rent a storage unit, etc. Trust me, you will miss the ocean if you leave it.
Couldn't have said it better

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
No, we can trash a TON of stuff.
But the reduction in space means no piano (my wife is a professional pianist) and no drumset/home studio for me.
So it's a big change
The drums on Logic Pro are good enough

A really drummer is better.

But on logic on a Mac takes up no space

Reactions: Boneroni

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
"They said S. Carolina is the place you otta be so they loaded up the truck and they moved to Myrtle Beach."

1whirleded to the white courtesy phone. :shrug:

Or just sell (throw out) all the accumulated stuff and be minimalist and live free of all the clutter that you don't really need and feel so much better because of it. :shrug:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I bough my 1400 sq ft house 25 years ago for the then-astronomical price of 400K. Fixed it up some, raised 2 kids to adulthood. Refi'd a few times, paid it off a few years early. For 25 years our cost of housing was essentially fixed, one of the joys of home ownership. It's like knowing what your rent will be 5, 10, 20 years into the future. Having that portion of life's expenses essentially fixed really helps life planning and smooths out many instabilities and financial ups and downs.

Many times we were tempted to sell and move down south or up north, could've sold out and bought a way better house elsewhere. I am so so very glad we didn't give into those temptations! Our standard of living might not be the highest but our quality of life is so much higher than it would have been had we moved to the big city! Our kids have a home and a hometown they can come back to, my wife is a lifelong local and all my friends are either locals or multi-decade residents. SB is my home and I'll probably live out my days here. That's a pretty good feeling.

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
Maybe I missed it but where is the new housing opportunity? In SB or same location?

The thing to consider with the new condo is the age of the development. What year was it built? Condo HOA's are usually run by elected persons that may or may not have property management experience. If it is an older development and the reserves have not been managed properly you can get hit with new assessments for say new asphalt or new roofing. See how much they have in reserves. Is it enough to cover new roofing asphalt etc.

Reactions: Boneroni and Havoc

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Click your heels together: There’s no place like home. You need space for your wife’s piano, that’s as important to her as every wave you’ve caught in your life.

If you had to drive 30 minutes longer how many days would you miss? As a point of reference the majority of the people that show up here drive minimum 30 minutes. No reliable forecast.

My philosophy is to let my wife decide. That’s what will happen anyway and it limits bloodshed.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
K, a few more details.
Both my daughter and I grew up here. My family is still here too, though my siblings will likely be priced out sooner or later.

We were 2nd in The lottery, but we’re told that the first selection might not be qualified.

We could not rent out this residence.

My wife does have practice space and a piano at her work. We have a grand at home right now.

The condos are very new. Like, built maybe 6 years ago.

Last edited:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
How soon will your teen be moving out leaving you with an empty nest? Is your teen an independent one or one you see sticking around and living at home for a while?

You said that you wouldn’t be allowed to sell the condo, but could you keep it as an investment property and rent it if you choose to move on?

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
How soon will your teen be moving out leaving you with an empty nest? Is your teen an independent one or one you see sticking around and living at home for a while?

You said that you wouldn’t be allowed to sell the condo, but could you keep it as an investment property and rent it if you choose to move on?
Our teen will be done with high school in 3 years.
I’m not sure but I could see her going straight to a 4 year school far away from us.

We cannot rent the condo to anyone.