Shark Problems

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
No:

2019 at a glance: The worldwide total of unprovoked shark attacks was significantly lower than average.

Consistent with long-term trends, the United States experienced the most unprovoked shark attacks in 2019, with 41 confirmed cases. This is higher than the 32 incidents that occurred in the U.S. in 2018. The 41 cases represent 64% of the worldwide total. This is an increase from 2018 when 48% of the worldwide unprovoked attacks occurred in the U.S.

Following normal trends, Florida had the most unprovoked attacks in the U.S.

For decades, Florida has topped global charts in the number of shark attacks, and this trend continued in 2019. Florida’s 21 cases represent 51% of the U.S. total and 33% of unprovoked attacks worldwide. However, the state saw a significant drop from its most recent five-year annual average of 32 incidents.

from Univ of Florida: link

Edit: sorry, you said dying:
LocalityTotalFatal
USA410
Australia110
Bahama Islands21
Canary Islands10
Caribbean Islands10
Cuba10
French Polynesia10
Guam10
Israel10
Mexico10
New Caledonia10
Republic of South Africa10
Réunion Island11
Worldwide642
Ranking somewhere in the deep thousands in terms of things a person should fear, then :LOL:

Reactions: jkb and ghostshaper

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Ranking somewhere in the deep thousands in terms of things a person should fear, then :LOL:
I didn't see that you asked about dying. I pasted in the table from last year. 2 fatalities world wide from sharks: 1 Oz, 1 Reunion, 0 Grom's Dad-land. :)

Tuna fatalities from bulls? Not mentioned.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I didn't see that you asked about dying. I pasted in the table from last year. 2 fatalities world wide from sharks: 1 Oz, 1 Reunion, 0 Grom's Dad-land. :)

Tuna fatalities from bulls? Not mentioned.
A low number I can believe, but that....can't be true

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I just wish people would stop playing with sharks. Stop interacting, diving with, feeding, catch and release, stop all the beastiality. Stuff(you know who you are, you fuggin perverts) all that stuff.
OCSearch tagging and similar is good in my ignorant opinion, but at some point, I think when a shark See's any hint of humans, they need to be like "What The Fuck Is THAT?!!" and totally bail scared as sh!t.
I used to work on dogfish boats, I've been up to my knees in those cute little fuggers, but I gotta tell ya, there is nothing cute about a mako, tiger, or bullshark.
Don't protective net systems (like Australia, South Africa) work?
If you're that scared, like perhaps in the future maybe that's a good idea, like drinking bleach. Let's look into that.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I just wish people would stop playing with sharks. Stop interacting, diving with, feeding, catch and release, stop all the beastiality. Stuff(you know who you are, you fuggin perverts)
Woah, wait a minute....who's fvcking sharks?

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
A lot of people are down with taggin' sharks.
Duh.
These are dolphins, but one thing leads to another, we needn't split hairs.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Bull Sharks are statistically the most fatal to humans.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
4 fatals in Aus this year.

2 either side of where I live.

Encounters are weekly events.

I know more people attacked by white sharks in the last 5 years than have had car crashes.

Risk is relative to where you live and surf.

White sharks are far more of a risk to me and my family than Covid 19.

Reactions: Havoc and mundus

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
visited the wonderful country of OZ for surf multiple times 70's/90's.
though dumb luck my shark timing was pretty good.

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
No:

2019 at a glance: The worldwide total of unprovoked shark attacks was significantly lower than average.

Consistent with long-term trends, the United States experienced the most unprovoked shark attacks in 2019, with 41 confirmed cases. This is higher than the 32 incidents that occurred in the U.S. in 2018. The 41 cases represent 64% of the worldwide total. This is an increase from 2018 when 48% of the worldwide unprovoked attacks occurred in the U.S.

Following normal trends, Florida had the most unprovoked attacks in the U.S.

For decades, Florida has topped global charts in the number of shark attacks, and this trend continued in 2019. Florida’s 21 cases represent 51% of the U.S. total and 33% of unprovoked attacks worldwide. However, the state saw a significant drop from its most recent five-year annual average of 32 incidents.

from Univ of Florida: link

Edit: sorry, you said dying:
LocalityTotalFatal
USA410
Australia110
Bahama Islands21
Canary Islands10
Caribbean Islands10
Cuba10
French Polynesia10
Guam10
Israel10
Mexico10
New Caledonia10
Republic of South Africa10
Réunion Island11
Worldwide642
We had a fatal great white attack on Cape Cod last year and another one this year in Maine.
As the saying goes, "There are lies, damned lies and statistics."

ocean7847

Miki Dora status
Jun 23, 2004
the Injured Reserve
so, after overfishing the oceans - commercial and recreational - we now need to get involved in trying to cull down an ocean predator because they're affecting humans' ability to try and scrape any fish off the bottom of the rapidly emptying barrel that is the ocean? how about we impose a total ban on commercial and recreational fishing for like 20 years to give the environment a chance to bounce back and balance out? no? ok.

makes TOTAL sense.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
^^ agree with that.

Only problem I would have with sharks is if one was attacking me and trying to eat me. Otherwise, it ain't no problem I should be involved in. How about staying out of the water if you are scared or worried?

Reactions: CutnSnip

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
so, after overfishing the oceans - commercial and recreational - we now need to get involved in trying to cull down an ocean predator because they're affecting humans' ability to try and scrape any fish off the bottom of the rapidly emptying barrel that is the ocean? how about we impose a total ban on commercial and recreational fishing for like 20 years to give the environment a chance to bounce back and balance out? no? ok.

makes TOTAL sense.
It makes sense until it doesn't. Not sure if you're only talking about USA either. Ban anything and it opens up organized crime, black markets, etc etc. Scraping fish off the bottom in USA and drifting are also nearly a thing of the past. If you're talking global, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Reactions: Havoc