Shark Problems

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Was fortunate to see Chris Lowe speak at our school when I was a grad student. He talked about his hammerheads he had in the lagoon at Coconut Is. when he was a grad student at UH.

The fact that they got tan in the shallow water, is an alternative explanation to genetic countershading, seen in many marine organisms. It got him the cover of Nature magazine.

A friend was living on Coconut Is. and gave us a tour. At the time, there was a juvenile hammerhead and juvenile tiger shark in the lagoon. When we walked across the bridge, the tiger swam up to the bridge we were on and rolled over on its side to get a good look at us.

Reactions: jkb and keenfish

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
no shark - but

Occurred on August 24, 2020 / Rio Patras, Greece A young girl on an inflatable unicorn was swept out to sea. When the parents realized she was out of sight, they informed port authorities that contacted the captain of the "Salaminomachos" ferry boat and rescued the child.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Not shark either. This dum dum picked one of the dumbest places to shoot an elephant seal (San Simeon) :loser: (another article shows he got arrested for lighting some kind of explosive behind a building in '17 :loser: )

Gerbich_-Jordan-Peter-smpd-175_175_224_80_c1.jpg

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
4 fatals in Aus this year.

2 either side of where I live.

Encounters are weekly events.

I know more people attacked by white sharks in the last 5 years than have had car crashes.

Risk is relative to where you live and surf.

White sharks are far more of a risk to me and my family than Covid 19.
I spent 4 months Australia mostly around NSW. I had to leave the water twice because of white sharks, one swam right under me surfing the left at maroubra. The other was a fin about 25 yards past the break in the northern beaches. Another time I was suiting up when the shark alarm went off. This was 4 or 5 years ago

• Wow
Reactions: mundus

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
1 on every block wouldnt be enough here

imagne the cost of that damn thing

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Why are shark attacks always labeled "unprovoked?" Is there another category where someone was out swimming and antagonizing a 15ft great white. Ah he kept poking that big white until he let 'em have it.

How many provoked shark attacks are there annually?
My friend had his boat docked at Oceanside Harbour. In the next dock, there were a bunch of big seals. Some were on the dock and some were swimming by the dock.

I wanted to run down the dock screaming and do a cannon bomb next to them to see what they did.

That would be provocative.