Shark Problems

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I would try to get behind the ban, but only if we do every other possible thing to repair the oceans. Fix all the runoff, for starters. The ozone issues, the dumping, septic systems, re-establish all the breeding/nesting grounds etc. Never gonna happen. I think the temperature and pH levels are gonna end everything as we know it anyway, maybe not in my lifetime, but probably the next.
Sad.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I don't care about the human/chomp/sharkbite thing. I'm down with fixing the imbalance. Sea lions are about at carrying capacity. In some CA coastlines white populations are over carrying capacity. Pelagic fish we eat mostly aren't. Putting MPAs in place doesn't really help pelagic fish, especially with some countries sending out fleets of boats to comb the ocean with 12 mile long drift nets.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I don't care about the human/chomp/sharkbite thing. I'm down with fixing the imbalance. Sea lions are about at carrying capacity. In some CA coastlines white populations are over carrying capacity. Pelagic fish we eat mostly aren't. Putting MPAs in place doesn't really help pelagic fish, especially with some countries sending out fleets of boats to comb the ocean with 12 mile long drift nets.

That's what I'm saying. We're slaying the chain in the open water, and protecting everything near shore. What do we think is going to happen.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I agree that we are decimating pelagic populations. However, the argument that white sharks are coming nearshore to hunt b/c pelagic populations are scarce is not the only reason for attacks.

White sharks naturally hunt nearshore, too (that's where they find marine mammals like pinnipeds who have to be nearshore to rest). Whites transition from strict fish eaters to marine mammals around 10' in length. Even juveniles are hunting rays/skates nearshore.

Sea lions are about at carrying capacity. In some CA coastlines white populations are over carrying capacity.
Where are you getting these data?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I'm not going to post link after link and hour long videos like some threads. Check out Dr Chris Lowe's longer presentation at Cabrillo Aquarium on YT for a good overview. It's about 6 years old.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Australian waters have concurrently seen a steady and signifi- cant rise in previously depleted megafauna populations that are known to be preferred prey items of large sharks, such as white sharks and tiger sharks. Humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) populations on Australia's east coast have shown one of the highest
growth rates for any mammalian population (Bruce et al., 2014) with an annual rate of increase of 10.6% from 1987 to 2004 (Noad, 2011), and New Zealand fur seal (Arctocephalus forsteri) populations have increased at a rate of 10e15% over the past 20 years (Campbell et al., 2014). These populations have recovered from previous overexploitation to a point where they are now thought to be reaching their theoretical reproductive limit and maximum car- rying capacities (Bruce et al., 2014; Campbell et al., 2014). Sprivulis (2014) strongly associated the rise in unprovoked bites from white sharks in WA to the concurrent increase in humpback whale pop- ulation. Increases in New Zealand fur seal populations were also correlated with the rise of unprovoked shark bite in WA (McPhee, 2014). Marine mammals have been shown to be a major prey source for large adult white sharks (Fallows et al., 2013; Kim et al., 2012; Klimley et al., 2001; Long and Jones, 1996) and Klimley et al. (2001) states that hunting strategies of white shark are fine-tuned to the life history of pinnipeds. Bruce et al. (2006)

Reactions: Havoc

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
From 2014 Paper published by Prof. Daryl McPhee.
Why are shark attacks always labeled "unprovoked?" Is there another category where someone was out swimming and antagonizing a 15ft great white. Ah he kept poking that big white until he let 'em have it.

How many provoked shark attacks are there annually?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Why are shark attacks always labeled "unprovoked?" Is there another category where someone was out swimming and antagonizing a 15ft great white. Ah he kept poking that big white until he let 'em have it.

How many provoked shark attacks are there annually?
“Unprovoked attacks” are defined as incidents where an attack on a live human occurs in the shark's natural habitat with no human provocation of the shark. “Provoked attacks” occur when a human initiates interaction with a shark in some way.Jan 22, 2020

Unprovoked Attacks: 64
Provoked Attacks: 41
Boat Attacks: 12
No assignment could be made: 9

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
TL/DR

Is there a data chart comparing the % of catching Covid vs getting bit by a shark?
Is there a "just wear the sharks wear a mask" joke yet?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
TL/DR

Is there a data chart comparing the % of catching Covid vs getting bit by a shark?
Is there a "just wear the sharks wear a mask" joke yet?
Come to think of it, I did see more sharks/rays yesterday (mostly shovelnoses) than I did see people wearing masks.