SF - ideas on where to live?

YeahNo

OTF status
Jan 20, 2017
Kelly's Cove
I wonder how many of you guys I see in the water and have no idea are forumites. Anyone down for a meetup? I literally have no surf friends irl.
I've often thought about this as well. Since I surf solo, I limit my days to 5ft and under at OB for safety. It be great to have some people to surf with. OB group meet at Balboa Theater on Feb 24 for GnarHunters showing of The North Shore :shaka:

Side note, anyone going to Prooflab tomorrow night to hear Britt Merrick and Parker Coffin talk about the new CI boards?

Reactions: Lohena

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
That would be great. I'm in the same boat. Can we start a separate OB group thread or something? Would be cool just to share about OB journeys and equipment reviews. I'm planning to be out there this Fri and Sat.

Anybody else out Sun over MLK weekend? This pic is VFWs. It was brutal, had to climb my leash one wave just to get to surface. View attachment 86058

I was out. Definitely a heavy day. Personally struggled a bit that day which was disappointing. Happens though.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
@Mr Doof Haight-Ashbury right by Buena Vista park. Close enough to get to work when it eventually opens and a ~15min drive to Noreiga. I am completely obsessed with surfing OB, its really tricky and shifty which I love. I've surfed so much in the past two months that I've lost 15lbs... might need to change up my boards...

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Also thanks to everyone who posted in here. Made the move from Canada in May and there has definitely been some ups and downs... The work/surf balance here is awesome. I've never lived in a place where I can surf weekdays, and the role I'm working at has me learning quite a bit.

Hope to see some of you in the water!

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
@afoaf Would love a telecommute but the majority of my work is done at the client's office. I should probably try to push for that on days where I'm not on site.

@Ranga I like to think I'm figuring it out bit by bit! Still an impulsive decision maker when it comes to surf. Passed on a possible promotion last year to "work" at our NZ office for their winter.
what was her name?

Reactions: Yewstreet

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
@Mr Doof Haight-Ashbury right by Buena Vista park. Close enough to get to work when it eventually opens and a ~15min drive to Noreiga. I am completely obsessed with surfing OB, its really tricky and shifty which I love. I've surfed so much in the past two months that I've lost 15lbs... might need to change up my boards...

I hope you moved late enough to benefit from some lower rentals prices.

My wife and I have been shopping around.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1 - Great neighborhood. Had some friends over there, more on the Randall Museum side before they moved. Great "secret" view lines. You need to find the "wild" lime trees for your G and Ts....they are coming into season.

2 - Sometime I think a key to surfing the Beach is having enough board to help paddle to stay in position....oh, and knowing when to kickout.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
2 - Sometime I think a key to surfing the Beach is having enough board to help paddle to stay in position....oh, and knowing when to kickout.
Why do you hate grey-green boxes of death setting up to flare right out the back of you while every ripple in the ocean breaks where your end section did and forces you to duck it all because you decided to come down with that last top turn f--k me this sucked when I was in my 20s why Neptune why what the f--k did I do come on not EVERY wave has a connecting section that constructively interferes and lands with laser-guided precision a foot in front of me some back off through here HOW THE FUCK CAN THERE BE ANOTHER SET WHAT THE ACTUAL F__K AND WHY AND UPON WHOSE ORDERS.....

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
what was her name?
Stent Road :). Sadly I had no kiwi gals to crush on, I might have stayed longer if I did...

I hope you moved late enough to benefit from some lower rentals prices.

My wife and I have been shopping around.
I think I did. ~2600 for a good size 1br, with secure parking and a storage unit. Still a lot of money, but I'm getting on ok. Managing to save and buy most of what I want. Buying new furniture was a huge money sink in the beginning

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
1 - Great neighborhood. Had some friends over there, more on the Randall Museum side before they moved. Great "secret" view lines. You need to find the "wild" lime trees for your G and Ts....they are coming into season.

1. I will have to check those out. Surprisingly there are lime trees on the property I live on

2. Thinking long and hard about getting something 7'0+. I definitely got greedy last week and tried to drive through a hollow one when I was deep. I was gifted a nice rail to the head for my efforts

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Stent Road :). Sadly I had no kiwi gals to crush on, I might have stayed longer if I did...

I think I did. ~2600 for a good size 1br, with secure parking and a storage unit. Still a lot of money, but I'm getting on ok. Managing to save and buy most of what I want. Buying new furniture was a huge money sink in the beginning

Yikes. We're paying ~2900 for a really awesome top floor/6 unit 2 BR with living room in Russian Hill. We're grandfathered in on a 10 year old, rent controlled lease. No parking no storage (stingy building managers). The Master Tenant moved out last year and stayed on the lease for us to avoid the apt going up to Market Value (3800-4500 at the time). Now she wants to get off of the lease so we've been shopping around. There is certainly more available now, but our spot is hard to beat. The Mrs. wants something different with parking (she's been here 7 years), I want our landlords to agree to keep the rent at a similar price as it is now and transfer Master Tenant status to us.

I hate moving.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
1. I will have to check those out. Surprisingly there are lime trees on the property I live on

2. Thinking long and hard about getting something 7'0+. I definitely got greedy last week and tried to drive through a hollow one when I was deep. I was gifted a nice rail to the head for my efforts
I have an older 6'10" CI step up I'm about to put on CL. I'll let it go for cheap

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Yikes. We're paying ~2900 for a really awesome top floor/6 unit 2 BR with living room in Russian Hill. We're grandfathered in on a 10 year old, rent controlled lease. No parking no storage (stingy building managers). The Master Tenant moved out last year and stayed on the lease for us to avoid the apt going up to Market Value (3800-4500 at the time). Now she wants to get off of the lease so we've been shopping around. There is certainly more available now, but our spot is hard to beat. The Mrs. wants something different with parking (she's been here 7 years), I want our landlords to agree to keep the rent at a similar price as it is now and transfer Master Tenant status to us.

I hate moving.
Ah that is a real good setup. I always thought Id be fine with street parking until my back windshield got smashed for an old surf watch and my ear plugs.. the peace of mind I have now is nice. I hear you on moving. I drove down in my cramped little car from Canada which wasnt the most pleasant of drives

I have an older 6'10" CI step up I'm about to put on CL. I'll let it go for cheap
Ooo usually I would be interested, but I think there might be too much overlap with the 6'8 rusty blackbird I have now!

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Ah that is a real good setup. I always thought Id be fine with street parking until my back windshield got smashed for an old surf watch and my ear plugs.. the peace of mind I have now is nice. I hear you on moving. I drove down in my cramped little car from Canada which wasnt the most pleasant of drives

Ooo usually I would be interested, but I think there might be too much overlap with the 6'8 rusty blackbird I have now!

I'd refer a move that was constricted to a hatchback. Ours will be full on "pack it all up" style.

Lots of break ins currently. Our street is getting lit up.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Just upgraded to a 3 bedroom house on 9th Avenue and Ortega with a garage, washer dryer, and next door to a nice park for my son. All thanks to the wife's generous salary. Same price we were paying for a two bedroom flat on the noisy and dirty corner of 25th and Balboa. The well-meaning owners didn't know what the hell they were doing when they bought this 100 year old house, and they have had to make a lot of expensive repairs since we moved in (rodent control, plumbing, electrical). They basically refinished the floors, put new countertops and vanities in, upgraded the appliances and put it on the market. We took it because the price was so good and we liked the space and location. Luckily, they are committed to doing things the right way and making us satisfied, but holy sh!t we are beta testing this house while they learn how to be landlords.

Also, OP: Time to get some lumber!

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
According to the news, rent prices in SF have dropped 33%. If that is actually true is a whole nother story.
I think Studio's in SOMA in those new luxury buildings are around $2,100... but dang, I imagine that would be a spooky place to live now haha