SF - ideas on where to live?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
here's a lovely parking space available for only $100k...

https://abc7news.com/5896007/
SAN FRANCISCO -- One hundred thousand dollars can get you a house in many places across the U.S. In San Francisco, the only listing for $100,000 is a parking spot, and the agent says he's getting calls.

"One block from the ballpark and one block from the Embarcadero so it's not only a good place to park your car, and to park your money," said Bill Williams with Compass Real Estate.

The parking spot is located in the South Beach neighborhood one of the most coveted areas in the city.

"I had a picture of it and everything and my phone was ringing off the hook. Because people thought $100,000 for property in San Francisco they were clamoring for that," said Williams.

The average parking price around the area is $15.

According to Williams they got a verbal offer for $90,000 but his clients didn't take it.

"It's all driven by supply and demand. We're surrounded by blocks of multimillion-dollar properties and they came with one parking space," said Williams.

JLW

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 7, 2004
I've lived in San francisco for about 12 years.

1. $2,200-$3,000 is about right for a 1 bedroom in a second-tier neighborhood. Generally speaking, the further you get from downtown, the cheaper rents get. You can find 2 bedrooms for around $3-4k in second tier neighborhoods. Outer Sunset, Outer Parkside, and Outer Richmond are all tier 2 neighborhoods that should be within the budget you mentioned for a 1 bedroom, or even a cheap 2 bedroom.

2. Ocean Beach is unforgiving and brutal. I've surfed here for 12 years. I average around 12 sessions a month, but I make it a point to lower my standards, and drive outside of the city to surf a lot. I also have a very flexible schedule (unlimited paid time off for my job) and I make it a point not to set up work meetings during ideal surf times. Not everyone has this flexibility.

3. You have to ask yourself how important surfing is to your life. That will ultimately determine where you live in the city. There are so many days where it turns on for a few short hours and it's not in the forecast. In fact, many of the days that say "poor" on surfline end up being pretty good, and many of the days that say "fair to good" are actually garbage. Ocean Beach does get good pretty regularly, but you really need to be dedicated to checking it in person....It's a spot that's very difficult to forecast. It does not reward people who only check the surfline cams occasionally. Anytime surfline reports fair to good conditions, especially on a weekend, Ocean Beach is kind of a zoo. I avoid those days.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
if you're under 30, live in the city, it's a blast. Take advantage of what the city offers. You only live once and you have the rest of your life to live in the suburbs. I lived in Lower Haight , Russian Hill, Lower Pac. Heights all great for the city experience. Unless you plan to dawn patrol before work, I wouldn't base your neighborhood on surf. If you are, then Richmond or Sunset is best bet. If you have a car, just plan to drive for surf anyway.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
if you're under 30, go surfing
fixed

When you're over 30 you'll wish you hadn't blown a bunch of time and money partying, chasing ass, and living in some high rent dirty city and instead spent your time in places like Indo, Australia, and ZAF going surfing.

You can NEVER get that time back again and you'll develop surf skills that will last a lifetime.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
To each his own! I’m so glad I got to do those things, travel, live in other countries while I was young and didn’t have responsibilities to anyone but myself. Can’t do that stuff once you have a family and a mortgage. There’s no better place to be single than a big city. I had fun.

OBSurvivor

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 25, 2013
if you're under 30, live in the city, it's a blast. Take advantage of what the city offers. You only live once and you have the rest of your life to live in the suburbs.
Couldn't agree more. Life's crazy you never know you could only be there for a couple years then onto a new city. Take advantage. Ride a bike to explore the city too. Walk & take public trans to get around. During my time there , felt amazing to abandon the car all week and just drive on the weekends to surf.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I loved inner and outer sunset

16th/Rivera
48th/Lawton
Sloat/Great Highway

when the surf is not good there are some really good hills you
can bomb, timing the light at Sunset to connect all the way down
to lower GH

easy access to Pacifica/Montara/HMB and you can get in to the
city pretty easily on the Judah or Taraval lines