SF - ideas on where to live?

YeahNo

OTF status
Jan 20, 2017
Kelly's Cove
Outer sunset is mostly family/residential, not much for activities except during the summer when everyone from the east bay/valley goes to the beach to cool off.
And they all leave their trash every-fucking-where. Those entitled little fuck wits. I pull so much trash out of the water and off the beach. I really don't understand the mentality of someone who thinks it's OK to leave a giant pile of trash on the beach.

Also, for those of you locals that know Bob Wise, you might have heard that he was beaten to within an inch of his life a few months ago. I've been told he's doing better and on the road to recovery.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
And they all leave their trash every-fucking-where. Those entitled little fook wits. I pull so much trash out of the water and off the beach. I really don't understand the mentality of someone who thinks it's OK to leave a giant pile of trash on the beach.

Also, for those of you locals that know Bob Wise, you might have heard that he was beaten to within an inch of his life a few months ago. I've been told he's doing better and on the road to recovery.
Didn't hear that story, what happened? Was that part of why the shop closed?

• Wow
Reactions: Mr Doof

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I talked to him back in September/October they decided on closing the shop because online stores made it not profitable to keep their store open. Wise was a specialized shop that sold only surfboards/wetsuits and accessories, no clothes and touristy trinkets. They didn't want to get into bikini selling just to make rent. Maybe the increase in homeless/crime in the area might have contributed too.

YeahNo

OTF status
Jan 20, 2017
Kelly's Cove
I talked to him back in September/October they decided on closing the shop because online stores made it not profitable to keep their store open. Wise was a specialized shop that sold only surfboards/wetsuits and accessories, no clothes and touristy trinkets. They didn't want to get into bikini selling just to make rent. Maybe the increase in homeless/crime in the area might have contributed too.
Neither crime, nor the homeless was the issue, the rent just skyrocketed.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Get ready to work harder for everything. Parking, rent, waves. For some it's worth the cost and for some it's not. Also, invest in your quiver. No such thing as a two or three board quiver up here. You'll need everything from a groveler to an 8'6 if you plan to surf OB year-round. Then again, we don't need anyone else in the lineup when it's 8-10 feet and offshore, so maybe just keep your groveler, squash, and step-up.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Stupid assumption.

Reactions: MathDebater

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
It's not an assumption. He says it on the website as well. "increasing online and direct sales from manufacturershave destroyed the business we once enjoyed."

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
Ha! I avoid 19th AVE like the plague. At almost all times there are better options such as the great, or sunset. It's not that bad once you get past sloat going north, but that stretch getting off 280 north to stonestown is torture. Of course I'm ruined by growing up at 44th and Ulloa in the 60's and 70's. You used to be able to drive anywhere in town in 15 minutes.

I resemble that remark :mad:

It always amazes me that you can drive 19th street during the seemingly worst times of the day and it will still move fairly smoothly. Urban planners could learn a thing or 2 from that.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Where in SF is your office? How flexible are your hours? How do you feel about commuting on public transportation?

Small differences can result in big lifestyle impacts in SF.

From a lifestyle perspective and definitely a surfing perspective I strongly prefer the outer sunset. The closer to the beach the better. But that comes at some costs around the commute.

I'd stongly recommend against going the studio / 1br route.

Much better to find a nice room for rent in a location of your choice that is month to month so you're not tied down but there's a lot of upsides. Less money, roommates could be cool etc. If it's not your jam, no worries, you can always slide out.

DM me if you have any questions. I've spent 75% of my life in SF. I also have a 1BR for rent a 3BR for rent and a 2BR coming up for rent...

5'10 - 6'3 will work fine up to a little bit overhead depending on your skill.

Bob closed the shop bc the landlord would raise the rent 5K every five years. That and it just didn't make sense to compete anymore.

Last edited:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Just about anywhere in the city gets you pretty easy access to OB. I lived in Cole Valley for a number of years and it was a 10 min drive early Sat and Sun morning. Sunset and Richmond are closer but early enough you can get to OB from any neighborhood. Guessing your job precludes dawn patrol on weekdays so that's probably not a discussion point. San Jose gets you much closer to Santa Cruz and better conditions in general. Just worse conditions for everything else compared to SF.

From someone who moved to the east bay, abandon all hope if you go this route. Weekends are still fine but weekdays are...difficult.
That 10 min drive is now more like 30 fyi. Traffic game has totally changed.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
It's not an assumption. He says it on the website as well. "increasing online and direct sales from manufacturershave destroyed the business we once enjoyed."
are you dumb?do I have to tell you that this is your assumption?
'Maybe the increase in homeless/crime in the area might have contributed too.'

There has definitely been an increase in homelessness in the Sunset not so much in the Richmond. why not blame the greedy landlord instead of dumping on the down and out?

He made the business decisions he made such as, selling Chinese popouts and moving to that building. A lot of people advised against it. And eventually, his plan didn't work out.

The homeless and crime are much more prevalent for Mollusk and Aqua.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I wonder how many of you guys I see in the water and have no idea are forumites. Anyone down for a meetup? I literally have no surf friends irl.

Reactions: Lohena

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
are you dumb?do I have to tell you that this is your assumption?
'Maybe the increase in homeless/crime in the area might have contributed too.'

There has definitely been an increase in homelessness in the Sunset not so much in the Richmond. why not blame the greedy landlord instead of dumping on the down and out?

He made the business decisions he made such as, selling Chinese popouts and moving to that building. A lot of people advised against it. And eventually, his plan didn't work out.

The homeless and crime are much more prevalent for Mollusk and Aqua.
I was referencing the other comment about him getting mugged. I probably should have been more explicit and use caps when saying 'maybe'. There are allot more homeless now in that area, especially the van lifers and their sewage they let drain out into street parking lot. The san francisco treat as we call it. Although I am a little jealous of the dude who set up his glamping tent on the cliff.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink
Jul 8, 2008
That 10 min drive is now more like 30 fyi. Traffic game has totally changed.
I made the jump across the bay back in 2011 and that's what I've heard. Whenever I visit the old neighborhoods it doesn't seem much as changed. But yeah I don't live there. And when I do get out to OB I avoid the city altogether..280-John Daly Blvd-great highway-Pacheco-hide anything not bolted down in the car.

Jul 8, 2008
Off topic..back in Oct I was in the water with an old timer who surfed OB back in the 80's. Their idea of a forecast was looking out the window and paddling out. I asked what happened on particularly heavy days..like how did you know if it was going to get bigger when you're already out there?

'sometimes it got bigger, sometimes it didn't. sometimes you could get back in. sometimes you couldn't.'

Man we suck these days.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
I wonder how many of you guys I see in the water and have no idea are forumites. Anyone down for a meetup? I literally have no surf friends irl.
That would be great. Can we start a separate OB group thread or something? Would be cool just to share about OB journeys and equipment reviews. I'm planning to be out there this Fri and Sat.

Anybody else out Sun over MLK weekend? This pic is VFWs. It was brutal, had to climb my leash one wave just to get to surface. 1809E707-7222-4444-9A65-54816EF8532E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr J

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I made the jump across the bay back in 2011 and that's what I've heard. Whenever I visit the old neighborhoods it doesn't seem much as changed. But yeah I don't live there. And when I do get out to OB I avoid the city altogether..280-John Daly Blvd-great highway-Pacheco-hide anything not bolted down in the car.
Ahh my bad, misread the neighborhood. Yeah going that direction is still pretty quick but going back into the city is a complete joke.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Ha! I avoid 19th AVE like the plague. At almost all times there are better options such as the great, or sunset. It's not that bad once you get past sloat going north, but that stretch getting off 280 north to stonestown is torture. Of course I'm ruined by growing up at 44th and Ulloa in the 60's and 70's. You used to be able to drive anywhere in town in 15 minutes.
Not trying to flex my SF traffic avoiding skills by any means. I don’t doubt there are better routes, and for locals their needs and standards may differ from mine.

I’m speaking from the perspective of a traveling sales rep that has to get from the Central Coast to Sonoma County usually at least once, but sometimes 2+ times a month. I take 280/19th 80% of the time. I’ve driven thru 19th ave at what should be atrocious times with very few hassles. Meanwhile, that same time of day on 101, 580, 880, 80, 680, Bay Bridge, San Rafael/Novato, and probably a dozen other places in the greater bay/SV area are light years worse.

I get stuck more in Prunedale than I do going thru/around the bay. Even driving across Santa Rosa I will end up stopping at more lights than I do on 19th, because the urban planners have to actually do their job in SF. Most other cities, not so much.

Reactions: RemyXO

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
I would suggest Dog Patch or Potrero hill area. Dog Patch is all newly rebuilt and nice, you can muni quickly to work no need for a car. I doubt you will want to walk from your apartment down to OB if you did live in Richmond or Outer Sunset. OB parking is easy to find during Fall-Spring months.
I would suggest PH only if you don't mind very steep hills, and the parking is a bit treacherous. IMO if you want to surf you have to live in the Sunset. One thing about PH is that you can get out of town fast, however.

I guess I'd go into living in SF with the mentality that I'm not really going to save any money but will have fun, catch waves and explore all the good things that Northern/Central California has to offer while trying to ignore/avoid/or even help the bad.