Selling My Car on Craigslist. Advice?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
well, I can't help you then, you weirdo hermit
If they could give me an estimate remotely and a reasonable number, then would bang. Otherwise I'm bummed out from driving to 2 dealerships only to get lowballed with the KBB instant offer crap. Oh well

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Posted my car last night. Listed it for $9900, KBB private party has it around $10.5-11k. Looked at some comps on autotrader with a 200 mile radius so I think my price is competitive without lowballing myself.

Already getting inquiries, many of whom seem like they are flippers. Different area codes, texts going right into asking about the Title instead of the car itself, offering cash, etc.

I'm at least smart enough to not accept a check or any other form of payment other than cash, but is there anything else to be aware of? Such as counterfeit cash? Should I meet the buyer to his face at mine or their bank so I know that I am not getting funny money?
Finally- should I be posting a pic of a craigslist hooker for your troubles? :dancing: :sick: :ban:
Go to the bank with the buyer and have him have the bank cut a check or money order. He gives money to the bank, bank gives money to you.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Amtrak goes from SLO to OXD and back. They would probably drive you to the station. I took the train to the valley last year during the first lockdown and the salesman picked me up in a big SUV with full mask protocol. The business class upgrade is always worth the $14 or whatever it is now.

Reactions: grapedrink

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
I tried auto trader and got mostly junk calls several in fact asked if I would finance. I listed it on Facebook Market and got a call in an hour. The next morning he met me with cash. Gone in 12 hours.

Reactions: afoaf

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Put a cute little stuffed animal in the picture, include it in the price and description, make it part of your brand.

Keep a camera rolling and make it clear you're not someone who automatically believes haggling price is part of the game, it is not to your advantage unless you are at least somewhat unscrupulous or generally of shifty character.

Some people think the haggle is textbook buying and selling and they need to try to gain advantage this way. Have them know that you are unwaivering upon a firm price, only you need to know if you'll allow any wiggle room as you see fit and fair. Advantage=you.
1.5% please...

Reactions: afoaf

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Put a cute little stuffed animal in the picture, include it in the price and description, make it part of your brand.

Keep a camera rolling and make it clear you're not someone who automatically believes haggling price is part of the game, it is not to your advantage unless you are at least somewhat unscrupulous or generally of shifty character.

Some people think the haggle is textbook buying and selling and they need to try to gain advantage this way. Have them know that you are unwaivering upon a firm price, only you need to know if you'll allow any wiggle room as you see fit and fair. Advantage=you.
1.5% please...
I read these posts for laughs and yours was today’s winner.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I tried auto trader and got mostly junk calls several in fact asked if I would finance. I listed it on Facebook Market and got a call in an hour. The next morning he met me with cash. Gone in 12 hours.
I feel like old media is the realm of scammers

using technology seems to be a decent first filter for things

facebook market, ebay, next door, etc

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Agree. My second attempt was with SHIFT. They pulled a Fat kid out of his mother’s basement, gave him an iPad and UBERED him out to do an appraisal. After an hour he offered me $4,500 less than I was asking. So I flat refused and he would not negotiate with me. I sent him on his way, so he walked about a hundred feet down the block and sat on the curb for 2 hours waiting for his ride.