Selling My Car on Craigslist. Advice?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Posted my car last night. Listed it for $9900, KBB private party has it around $10.5-11k. Looked at some comps on autotrader with a 200 mile radius so I think my price is competitive without lowballing myself.

Already getting inquiries, many of whom seem like they are flippers. Different area codes, texts going right into asking about the Title instead of the car itself, offering cash, etc.

I'm at least smart enough to not accept a check or any other form of payment other than cash, but is there anything else to be aware of? Such as counterfeit cash? Should I meet the buyer to his face at mine or their bank so I know that I am not getting funny money?
Finally- should I be posting a pic of a craigslist hooker for your troubles? :dancing: :sick: :ban:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I accepted only cash when I did this. Everything else can be counterfeited. A lot of banks don't have that much cash so you'll have to go to several if you decide to meet the guy there to watch him get cash. I didn't. The guy I sold my car to had to go to several banks to get $15k.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
we've brought my step son 3 cars off Craigslist (don't ask). Certified bank check is the way to go. Then call the bank and verify.

Meet up in public places.

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
Not suggesting you do this, but could Venmo work in a situation like this? I know PayPal skims quite a bit off higher dollar amounts.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
1 Cash exchange in a public place
2 Bring the DMV transfer forms releasing your from title with a stamped envelope so you can mail it ASAP after taking the cash
This. had someone never send in the title. Make them do it on the spot.

I also never cancel plans nor go out of my way to sell goods at the request of the buyer.

If they are serious they will meet on your terms.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Cool, I like the idea of them coming my bank, depositing/cashing, then handing over the goods.

On that note, anyone got an craigslist meatup stories? :dancing:

Thanks all!

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
On that note, anyone got an craigslist meatup stories? :dancing:
Went to sell a longboard and this guy pulls out a handheld FLIR camera and starts scanning the board. He then tells me it looks like it got wet at some point. Well ya, it's a surfboard. Then he tells me it has a different heat signature from the black asphalt. Then he finds a scratch on the board. Then he told me he didn't want it and won't be purchasing it.

Sold the board the next day for asking price.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Went to sell a longboard and this guy pulls out a handheld FLIR camera and starts scanning the board. He then tells me it looks like it got wet at some point. Well ya, it's a surfboard. Then he tells me it has a different heat signature from the black asphalt. Then he finds a scratch on the board. Then he told me he didn't want it and won't be purchasing it.

Sold the board the next day for asking price.
Not the kind of meat up story I was hoping to here, but alright, still a cool story :shaka: The people you meet from Craiglist are a special breed

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Not the kind of meat up story I was hoping to here, but alright, still a cool story :shaka: The people you meet from Craiglist are a special breed
did you try CarMax...?

selling is super easy, price competitive, low risk

Reactions: keenfish

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Still trying to sell mine a month later, so I'm not the guy to ask.

Just be prepared for lowballs and scams.

The "type your vin into my website link" one was a new one..

• Wow
Reactions: grapedrink

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Just give them your bank account information so they can wire you the money. :drowning:
Not car related - a luthier in AUS gave me his BofA account # for a custom order and I deposited ~4k into his account at the bank. Is that not legal?

Car related - I sold mine last Spring and wasn't too concerned about check etc. I would have required we go to their bank before signing over the title and letting him drive away.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I could try that. The KBB instant offers were a joke at $6k.
I encourage you to give it a shot

it is super fast and painless

I got a fair price

I referred a friend and they also had positive feedback