Ryan Burch Surfboards

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
waxurDyl said:
ChaseTMP said:
Board looks sick. I dig the color. I'd love to try waxurDyl's (goofy version) since he's in the S. Bay. Never met the guy and not sure if an Awayco amount of $ would sway him for a few hours on it.
Dude....Anytime! Shoot me a PM. I’ve got a few to choose from, these are the latest Fork additions to my Burch quiver

Much appreciated! I’ll definitely take you up on the offer next time I see the East SB channel winds predicted to kick up some windswell.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Just got my grubby little hands on this thing. It feels really nice. Lighter than I was anticipating.

Here's what the fins look like. All flat foiled, which I'm relieved. I was worried the rear fin might have the dreaded 70/30 foil or even worse, 50/50.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
very cool. Burch's boards always look great.

those fork noses look kinda deadly like now you can poke both eyes out at once. just kidding but for real how sharp are those tips?

not your average boring thruster.

hope she goes well for you jkb!

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Aruka said:
very cool. Burch's boards always look great.

those fork noses look kinda deadly like now you can poke both eyes out at once. just kidding but for real how sharp are those tips?

not your average boring thruster.

hope she goes well for you jkb!
Thanks Aruka!

They are sharp, but the way I figure it.......I think it's probably safer than one pointy nose.

Some very smart people before us have already showed us how to deal with this scenario.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Maiden voyage on the asym this morning and it felt really good.

Had a couple of frontside hits that were nice and sharp.

Only had one weird moment. I was pumping down the line on my second wave and went for a cutback. Shifted my weight to my heels and the pivot was so fast and tight, it caught me off guard. After that, I knew what to expect and all other cutbacks felt great. Turns are extremely quick and nimble without any loss of speed. Some would probably find it too sensitive or call it twitchy even, but I love boards that can pivot on a dime and maintain speed. This one does it very well.

The PU construction surprised me in the sense that I thought I would notice a difference in flex when I came out of a bottom turn or hit the lip off the top, but nothing felt different in that department.

Paddling wasn't the boards strong suit........ today at least. I didn't have any issues catching waves, but paddling through the line-up felt a little sluggish at times. The last board I paddled was a 12' Bark Prone Paddleboard, so maybe I have a little bit of residual muscle memory from that experience. I'll have to see what I think during my next session.

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
I've ridden the fish with the sidecuts. I know the dude who runs his biz pretty well and we've swapped boards on several occasions. I'll preface this by saying I typically hate all things retro. Generally just old outdated designs that are retro for a reason.

I jumped onto the board fish off a small wave shortboard with that mindset. Turns out the board was a blast. turned like a shortboard but had the speed of a fish. Didn't track the way a lot of retro fishes do, was very pivoty and you could actually push on it and put it on rail without it feeling like it was constantly going to slip out.

I've actually wanted to pick one up second hand since then but I can't justify spending 800-1000 for a board that I wouldn't ride all the time and when I can get a small wave shortboard from Mayhem that more or less does the same thing. However, if I was a board collector like a lot of the guys on here or money was no issue I would definitely grab one and would probably end up riding it all the time.

They're amazing boards and surf very non-fish like and are much more rippable than you'd expect. On the other hand they're also pretty forgiving in that they generate their own speed. While I was surfing it I remember thinking how it was definitely way easier to do a full speed roundhouse on that than a normal shortboard. Pretty much the perfect board if you surf any kind of lined up mushy wave like a reef or point.

Fredtool

Nep status
Jan 31, 2014
Florida

Seems to me I recall Jim Philips (Jim the Genius) saying he had worked with Ryan?? Also mentioned Zack Flores in the same breath, IIRC, as an up and coming prot�g�.[/quote]
Doghouse said:
"Just curious....where does he fit on the shaping tree?
Who's his mentor
I believe his main influence has been Carl Ekstrom, I did hear the Phillips had helped him as well as Rich Pavel and like a great many other notable Shapers around San Diego, Skip Frye.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
deforest said:
Sounds awesome JKB. Waves were fun today! How did the fins feel?
The fins felt really good and went great.

Plenty of drive and lots of pivot.

No reason to change them at all.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Havoc4k said:
jkb said:
deforest said:
Sounds awesome JKB. Waves were fun today! How did the fins feel?
The fins felt really good and went great.

Plenty of drive and lots of pivot.

No reason to change them at all.
nice ride report jkb. so do u wear joggers or skinny jeans with your tye dye shirt?
Skinny jeans, duh.

I borrow them from my sister.

Joggers are gay.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
jkb said:
My asym is done. Haven't picked it up yet, but I've been sent pictures. Excited to get my hands on it!

Oh, man! That's just dreamy! How long were you waiting from order to being told it's done?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Goodfish said:
Oh, man! That's just dreamy! How long were you waiting from order to being told it's done?
Thanks man! It's an epic bort. So effortless to surf.

The wait was 6 months.

Exactly what I was quoted.

If waxy didn't order so many damn boards, I probably would have had it sooner :rolleyes:

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
jkb said:
Goodfish said:

The wait was 6 months.

If waxy didn't order so many damn boards, I probably would have had it sooner :rolleyes:
Those are my thoughts exactly! I guess I'll be seeing my sweet dreams around October time...

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Goodfish said:
jkb said:
Goodfish said:

The wait was 6 months.

Those are my thoughts exactly! I guess I'll be seeing my sweet dreams around October time...
Halfway there! Just try and forget about it for a while.

This thread won't be helping that. lol