Ryan Burch Surfboards

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
jkb said:
If waxy didn't order so many damn boards, I probably would have had it sooner :rolleyes:
Lol! Yeah...over that last few years I’ve gotten into the habit of ordering a couple boards from Ryan whenever I pick up new ones

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
waxurDyl said:
jkb said:
If waxy didn't order so many damn boards, I probably would have had it sooner :rolleyes:
Lol! Yeah...over that last few years I’ve gotten into the habit of ordering a couple boards from Ryan whenever I pick up new ones
Haha, this thought had also crossed my mind. Get in a nice sync n rotation...

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
He was on tavarua same time as us. nicest guy, had about 9 of his boards with him, set them up at the beach bar for a little photo shoot. Had time to talk shop with some of the guests (even my wife, who, much to her credit actually, jumped right in asking for explanations behind the asym, the pickle forking etc.)

and watching him surf OH to DOH cloudbreak was a treat

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
subway said:
He was on tavarua same time as us. nicest guy, had about 9 of his boards with him, set them up at the beach bar for a little photo shoot. Had time to talk shop with some of the guests (even my wife, who, much to her credit actually, jumped right in asking for explanations behind the asym, the pickle forking etc.)

and watching him surf OH to DOH cloudbreak was a treat
You tempted to order one?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
not really. I'm a lifelong short boarder of competent but by no means extraordinary abilities, i think the exotic shapes would be wasted on me. they certainly look cool but i just don't know if i'm the kind of surfer that would benefit from their attributes.

But i have been meaning to order a couple new DK thrusters, so maybe now is the time. Burchy told me his bay is right next to DK's, which was a fun little coincidence.

gbarsby3

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 15, 2012
I have a new 5'7 squit that is a bit too big for me if anyone is interested.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
subway said:
not really. I'm a lifelong short boarder of competent but by no means extraordinary abilities, i think the exotic shapes would be wasted on me. they certainly look cool but i just don't know if i'm the kind of surfer that would benefit from their attributes.

But i have been meaning to order a couple new DK thrusters, so maybe now is the time. Burchy told me his bay is right next to DK's, which was a fun little coincidence.
I honestly don't think you have to be an extraordinary surfer to feel the benefits. I'm not.

I think an intermediate surfer might actually benefit from trying a board like this because heelside turns are easier and more effortless. Especially in small, pockety surf.

Not that I'm trying to sell you on it. If it's not your thing, it's not your thing.

Albums new bullet model looks like a fun asym as well.

http://instagr.am/p/BxvzioRAQS0/

Aug 11, 2015
subway said:
I'm a competent surfer but will never be a ripper, and I find the exotic and alternative shapes suit my surfing much better than HP shortboard. I've always had at least 1 HP thruster in my quiver but it has never been the board I rip the most. I think I'm just not good enough for these kind of boards. I make harder, faster, better turns on Tomos, on a Fling, even on a GG retro fish than on a HP thruster...

Aug 11, 2015
What i'm trying to say is... I think you have to be a ripper to fully use and benefit form a HP thruster. Generating speed and pretty much everything else is harder and less forgiving on a HP thruster than on most more alternative shapes. At least for me. Could be just me, though...

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I'm with ya in that camp too, brother! Anything alternate does it for me and my skills! Or lack thereof...

Reactions: ZeeHawk

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I guess it depends on what defines a ripper. this morning's dawn patrol was about waist high, but off shore and peaky and absurdly fun for the size. even at 200# and 40 years old, i can crack a few lips, float some close outs, get the board vertical on the occasional turn even in tiny waves. and all of that happens easier/better/faster on my thruster. granted its a custom board with more volume than average, but riding it in short steep beach break is noticeably more fun and effective as opposed to a swordfish and BKQ, or whatever.

But of course I've never tried one of Burch's pickleback asyms, so i can't comment on that. But when I need a board that turns on a dime, can hold an edge on a vertical dumping face, etc, it's HPSB FTW