Ryan Burch Surfboards

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Stopped by Hansens and checked out some of Ryan's boards. All very nice but the one cuttlefish in stock was really speaking to me.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Loving my Cuttle lately!!
http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2473459&page=1

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
I don't know Ryan from anyone else, but he appeared to be having fun, doing things his way, with some good folks giving him tips along the way.

as far as i'm concerned, which really doesn't matter anyway, I think it's great. It was predestined anyway, so enjoy it while it lasts.

At least he's actually shaping them....

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
When you're in demand, there comes a point where you can charge market price an chase clients all day and make money, or you can charger higher than market price, live your life and shape some nice boards and make the same or a little less money than charging market price. Good on him, I think all shapers are grossly underpaid.

WarrenC

Michael Peterson status
Nov 30, 2008
being one of the most talented (and interesting imo) surfers in the water today
I simply enjoy watching videos of this guy surfing

when you have claw marks on your shaping bay door from the demand....
you want to ride his boards
you pay the vig.

whether the demand is warranted is merely opinion.

hope this guy buys a Porsche and takes a pic like MR in it and tells everybody to suck it quietly as he smirks a small smile from behind his sunglasses.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
A perspective to consider: a person I've bought a board from does boards on the cheap. A $100+ below what other shapers in his area charge. His boards are good, files from other guys. He finishes the machine cuts and his glassing is really good.

His customers suck. Always trying to get cheaper prices, no loyalty, deposits take forever, full payment takes months, they flake, don't return emails, etc.

You think a guy paying Burch that price is gonna flake, ask for a deal, delay payment?

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
fark would love love love one of these...

I think shapers should charge as much as they dam well please.

Dont like it then make your own surfboard , its not easy!

Kinakeet

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 11, 2004
SD for now
Good kid, very humble, and crazy talented in the bay and on the water. Still doing everything by hand dont know that a clear board costs a 1000. He has a decent little shop in Oside, worth going in to see him and his cohort who is helping with the business. Saw a few of his color and pinlined fishes, his soft cutaways are very nice.

Nov 8, 2016
I am super intrigued to try one of his boards. Does anyone have an actual ride report? I mean the fish of course...

And what would be good options if not that one?

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Sent an email off yesterday hoping to get an asym in June when I'm planning to visit the fair Californian shores, but got a reply the current wait list is 6 months! Hoping I might score a lucky secondhand one closer to the date. Anyway, found these couple of interesting videos recently. Dude's got style for days and seems like a cool cat...

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-OKOf81gtA[/video]

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=66&v=a30d2aHWsXs[/video]

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Ha ha.

Everyone bitches about boards being underpriced and here’s a guy making a unique product (and he doesn’t treat his customers like sh!t, either) and charging what it’s worth (which is what people will pay) and we have a whole thread bitching about that.

Funny.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Duffy said:
Ha ha.

Everyone bitches about boards being underpriced and here’s a guy making a unique product (and he doesn’t treat his customers like sh!t, either) and charging what it’s worth (which is what people will pay) and we have a whole thread bitching about that.

Funny.
I'd pay up! Would love to get my hands on one of his shapes!