Rounded pin tail twins

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Still want to try the Amt's since they are so upright though and are in that honeycomb flex before settling.
you should try some of the other captain fin sets other than the CC uprights. The NPJ set comes to mind.

amt set is an interesting one and has a lot more cant than any of my other twin sets.

if you can find them, the upright album Gemini set by TA may be a good fit as well.

Reactions: chilly1 and trifish

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
More cant more carve, good combo here. I was just putting my AMT next to other templates last night, the template alone just looked more right and wasn't even considering the cant.
Been trying to free up my Townsend as well and so far-
EN- good but limiting
G-10 MC- stiff like tight skateboard trucks
Mayhem Twins- pretty good, kinda stiff
AMT- next up

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Thought I was pushing the limits on my little 5’7 yesterday. Solid 8ft+ tropical reef that breaks out far and relatively wide playing field. I just didn’t feel like waxing up my shortboard. But damn was I wrong. Thing absolutely flew. Paddles good and small enough to charge through the white water on the inside.

11D298BF-74A2-4D17-BE3E-2E74F66FD8D2.jpeg

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
@sdsrfr @chilly1 , I actually got my AMT set in today, just haven't had a chance to try them. They are definitely more upright. Noticeably more cant like you guys are saying, kinda reminds me of the cant on my solus set. The Gemini fins look interesting also. Snapped a quick pic when I had my twin sets out comparing them if anybody is wondering about some of these roughly side by side.

Attachments

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
@sdsrfr @chilly1 , I actually got my AMT set in today, just haven't had a chance to try them. They are definitely more upright. Noticeably more cant like you guys are saying, kinda reminds me of the cant on my solus set. The Gemini fins look interesting also. Snapped a quick pic when I had my twin sets out comparing them if anybody is wondering about some of these roughly side by side.
How do you like an upright set like the CI compared to keels? Do the uprights feel noticeably looser?

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
How do you like an upright set like the CI compared to keels? Do the uprights feel noticeably looser?
Haven't gotten a chance to try the CI's in my Townsend yet, but past experiences I would say keels have always offered me noticeably more drive & stability, where uprights would give me noticeably more pivot/rotation. I love keels on my short fishes with a big swallow tail. The extra stabilization/drive feels good with the short length for me. On a longer rounded pintail I think keels are just to much stiffness for me with the added hold from the pintail and extra length also. At least a fuller keel template is for me.

Also noticed Akila's upright pushes the fin placement up higher compared to something like the uprights from Christenson. Probably why I feel more pivot from them also in comparison.

nada2looz

OTF status
Mar 16, 2016
was cleaning out a drawer and found these old slides of my late uncle's favorite boards and thought of this thread. i was never allowed to ride these but he did give me my first board, a mccoy twin (yew!). i'd guess these were shaped in '80 or '81. sexy as hell. rip uncle ron!

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Here's my 7'4 Son of Cobra. Kind of a fun-gun outline.

Hard to show the concave, but it is a very deep single to double through the fins, to the point that the bottom edge has a pronounced lip from several inches above the fins all the way back through the tail.

Note to GG: Fins made for the board!

Lot of lift and looseness off the tail. Been testing it in some fast shoulder to head high beach break. Need to get it on a larger wall.

IMG-2553.jpg

IMG-2551.jpg

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Here's my 7'4 Son of Cobra. Kind of a fun-gun outline.

Hard to show the concave, but it is a very deep single to double through the fins, to the point that the bottom edge has a pronounced lip from several inches above the fins all the way back through the tail.

Note to GG: Fins made for the board!

Lot of lift and looseness off the tail. Been testing it in some fast shoulder to head high beach break. Need to get it on a larger wall.

View attachment 107071

View attachment 107072
Nice. Definitely looks like it would favor overhead waves.

Reactions: bluengreen