Rounded pin tail twins

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Got the Son of Cobra fins and took the 7'4 out for a couple more sessions. Still can't really give the board a proper assessment because only I've ridden it backside at a point break with a really tight pocket. Revelation: midlengths are hard to ride in small, bowly waves.
You need to watch ole log footage pig shape D fin creative ways find trim and barrels on 50lbs boards:shaka:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Been trying to figure this one out myself. Love my 7'0 Howard Mini clone but not in bowly waves so much of any size.

Want some kind of rounded pin twin to use in tighter waves that maintains the glide but isn't such a handful. Thinking something in the mid-6 foot range with a touch more rocker (Album Townshend?) or dropping down to the 5'11-6'0 range and something like the forthcoming CI Twin Pin/Stacey Bullet sort of board.

Revelation: midlengths are hard to ride in small, bowly waves.

Reactions: trifish

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Can't just lean on your front foot to accelerate and then jam the tail to stay tight in the pocket like on a shortboard. Gotta develop some twinkle toes to move around the board and control all that mass quickly.

It's funny to me that big boards are the prescription for beginners and less experienced surfers. These things take a lot of skill and strength to control so that you are actually riding the wave and not the board. On a shortboard (thruster, fish, whatever) you pop up and go.You react quickly and naturally to whatever the wave does. Then again, I learned to surf on a 6'0 Xanadu elf shoe in 1991, so maybe this is my bias.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Been trying to figure this one out myself. Love my 7'0 Howard Mini clone but not in bowly waves so much of any size.

Want some kind of rounded pin twin to use in tighter waves that maintains the glide but isn't such a handful. Thinking something in the mid-6 foot range with a touch more rocker (Album Townshend?) or dropping down to the 5'11-6'0 range and something like the forthcoming CI Twin Pin/Stacey Bullet sort of board.
I imagine the Stacey Bullet having more of that performance/ quick responsive shortboard feel than the Townsend. Something you would surf faster and get in and out of a waves fast on. Would love to try one sometime.

My Townsend even at 6'3", feels like i'm on a bigger board that takes a little more to get moving. Like i usually need to spin it around when sitting in the lineup and start paddling a little earlier to get it up to speed for the wave. Something like I would do on a bigger board, instead of just turning around last second and taking a couple of paddles and dropping in like I do on my shortboards. That being said, it will glide into those more rolly sets outback that I would have to sit closer in for on my shortboards. Love it on bigger waves that form a little slower before standing up that you can glide into some.

In smaller surf I'm not crazy about the townsend because it has that bigger/less reactive feeling even though it catches the waves easily. Same reason I'm usually on a groveler type board instead of a longboard on smaller days. When it starts getting above chest high though it feels really good paddling in, slowing down my surfing some, and gliding down some highlines. Felt too stiff for me at first and was a bit worried, but after playing with some fins its been feeling really great out there. A keeper for sure.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I imagine the Stacey Bullet having more of that performance/ quick responsive shortboard feel than the Townsend. Something you would surf faster and get in and out of a waves fast on. Would love to try one sometime.

My Townsend even at 6'3", feels like i'm on a bigger board that takes a little more to get moving. Like i usually need to spin it around when sitting in the lineup and start paddling a little earlier to get it up to speed for the wave. Something like I would do on a bigger board, instead of just turning around last second and taking a couple of paddles and dropping in like I do on my shortboards. That being said, it will glide into those more rolly sets outback that I would have to sit closer in for on my shortboards. Love it on bigger waves that form a little slower before standing up that you can glide into some.

In smaller surf I'm not crazy about the townsend because it has that bigger/less reactive feeling even though it catches the waves easily. Same reason I'm usually on a groveler type board instead of a longboard on smaller days. When it starts getting above chest high though it feels really good paddling in, slowing down my surfing some, and gliding down some highlines. Felt too stiff for me at first and was a bit worried, but after playing with some fins its been feeling really great out there. A keeper for sure.
What fins you ride? Only tried 2win fins unlimited Strech model so far close to Mr template with cambor tips 5.5"(h) 5.25" (base) I like the drive and glide. And on my AO my size fins up (11") I use True Ames glass twin set same nice drive and glide. My It 2win has more rail at 6'9" easier to control even when feet are in middle.

Reactions: trifish

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
So normally I run CC glass keels in my Xanadu fish & Akila uprights in my Akila Contemp fish. Both feel excellent for me after trying different sets/many sessions.

The Townsend I started off with some CC glass uprights that felt too stiff and had some weird issue about getting hung up near the lip on faces a number of times. Couple sessions later I swapped in some Album uprights and they turned a little better, a little looser, and didnt get hung up at all near the lip. Stuck in my set of Akila uprights and turns loosened up a good bit where I could start doing more on the face easier. Still tighter than I really like but felt like I was moving in the right direction so stuck my set of smaller Machado uprights in that have a lot of flex to them. Loosened the board up a ton and made it more playful like what I was looking for. Its my favorite so far along with the Akila behind it. Still want to try the Amt's since they are so upright though and are in that honeycomb flex before settling.