Rounded pin tail twins

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I need a crutch that I can still put on rail. Felt it up in the shop today. Nice and balanced foil. Definitely has a good top end. Just hoping it will go in small waves too.
My 7-7 trims great in small waves . Think of it as a pointy longboard. But head high to overhead, when you have a bit of face? Like carving butter, giant slalom skiing, like California Screaming. :applause2:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
You have the Son of Cobra? Man, you make it sound like a good choice. I like that it's not too eggy, but still 21.5 wide and two fins will give it some serious glide, methinks.

I don't pick up a lot of #midlengths, but I handled a few today. I was surprised by how bladey they were. Guild Omelet felt like the rail on a 2 1/4 HPSB. Weird. This one actually had a meatier rail than many, but not fat. Reminded me of the rail on my 6'8 Blackbird, which is a good thing.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
That cobra looks nice. looks like what I’m looking for too. Something for smaller gutless surf but also a paddling beast for when it gets big. Would that describe it?

xmesa what’s the dims?

Reactions: xmesa

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
You have the Son of Cobra? Man, you make it sound like a good choice. I like that it's not too eggy, but still 21.5 wide and two fins will give it some serious glide, methinks.

I don't pick up a lot of #midlengths, but I handled a few today. I was surprised by how bladey they were. Guild Omelet felt like the rail on a 2 1/4 HPSB. Weird. This one actually had a meatier rail than many, but not fat. Reminded me of the rail on my 6'8 Blackbird, which is a good thing.
That SOC looks so fun. You should definitely pull the trigger! I've been curious about his boards for a while now.
I think most likely will go with a 6'8-7'0 album Townsend later this year or next. It seems to have glowing erBB reviews for the conditions I'd use it for (crowd killer on sm/average waves).

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
What are the beamish rifle ranger supposed to do?

Last edited:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Okay. Pulled the trigger this morning on the Son of Cobra and took her immediately out for the maiden voyage. Mollusk didn't have the Son of Cobra fins, which are an MR-style template with 8 degrees of cant to account for the extreme concave running through the fins, so I threw in my McCallum keels. Not ideal, but hey.

Paddled out to some crumbly, shoulder to head high outer bar. Bluebird mid morning, no one out on the bar. Board had plenty of glide and paddle power and was pleasantly responsive, even with 50L of volume and a set of keels. Took a highline on my first wave and cut back to the white wash. Plenty of drive, hold and glide. Next wave, I took the drop straight so I could stomp the tail and push hard through a bottom turn. Instead of engaging in a positive way and driving off the bottom and on to the shoulder, the board was little fluttery/ wobbly. Definitely felt like some weird turbulence running through those concaves, and the volume in the front of the board felt a little out of control, like someone grabbed the nose and was shaking it around while I was trying to turn. Weird. Could of been my technique or the fins, not sure. Felt like the board wanted to be turned from a little in front of the fins instead of right over them.

Found myself on a bowly inside bar with the crowd. Board handled surprisingly well in the tighter pocket. Was able fade to bottom turn and crank a couple top turns. Interesting to feel so much swing weight combined with the skate and drift of a twin fin.

Overall, stocked. I've been recovering from a bad back, and I felt like I could surf this board more or less like it wanted to be surfed despite my limited mobility. Will get the Cobra fins and report back.

Last edited: