RIP Mikala Jones

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Sad to hear. RIP. Possibly most barreled surfer of all time.

I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often. I’ve taken fins to the chest neck area at dreading Kirra and thought I cut something.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Sad to hear. RIP. Possibly most barreled surfer of all time.

I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often. I’ve taken fins to the chest neck area at dreading Kirra and thought I cut something.
truly awful. i've taken fins to the face twice, still have the scars, an inch either way either time would have been a very different outcome. everybody probably has a fin story, this is the worst imagineable. RIP and condolences to the family.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
RIP Mikala. Way too young.

Severed femoral artery in his groin and suffered massive blood loss.

View attachment 158090
This is fucking terrible.

I can attest to the femoral artery. When I was 25 I had to go for an emergency angiogram. When they punctured my femoral artery to insert the probe I felt blood splashing my feet with my pulse. It was fucking gnarly. After the procedure I had a large ICU nurse applying pressure to my groin for well over an hour. Have to think that severing that artery anywhere outside the confines of a location where immediate care is available is bad fvcking news.

• Wow
Reactions: r32 and john4surf

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Heard about this last night and didn’t want to believe it. Mikala was one of the good ones - a fantastic surfer and person. I think there was a Hawaii family staying with him right now. I just can’t believe this.

why does it seem like all the great people die and there are so many assholes who have nine lives? Fvck this

Aug 9, 2015
Besides CPR every surfer should know how to use a tourniquet- especially when you are far away from emergency medical care.

For the prices people are paying all the boats and surf camps should have trained EMTs On the crew.

I keep two of these in my travel first aid kit.

While I agree people should have a tourniquet, it is not going to stop a fatality from a severed femoral artery in a remote location. There is a wild story of a pro mountain biker who had a crash (possibly in the canaries?) and compound fractured his pelvis. Severed artery. He literally reached in the wound immediately after the crash and and clamped the artery shut with his hand until the heli rescue arrived. He survived.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Honestly if stab is right and he severed his femoral at his groin he didn't make it to the boat alive. You could have that injury 50ft from shore at flat waimea bay with five of the best life guards in the world watching you and still be just as dead.

RIP
True dat. A friend of mine got cut to the groin cat Nexpa and another friend that’s an ER nurse saved his life. It happened coming in at the licuadora and he got to him fast, stopped the bleeding and off to Lázaro.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Was it definitely a fun gash - broken femur could have resulted in this too :(
Terrible news, RIP.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Very sad to hear of Mikala’s passing.I remember when his Folks would bring the kids down to Ala Moana in a blue Volkswagen van and cut them loose to ride Bowls at Ala Moana. It was the days with Ben in the water, the boys from Papakolea, Liddle, Buttons, Sombrano, Eric Parker (Fireman, RIP) Fun times in that parking lot which produced many outstanding surfers from many different eras. Prayers and condolences to the Jones Ohana.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
People see all these glorious big tube pics in Indo - insane waves but people forget if you get hurt out here you are screwed -

I surfed w him in a very remote spot - a big right tube. -

my friend broke his leg and it took him 12 hours to get to a hospital. ----- thats when you realize you are really in a bad spot bc you are in a 3rd world country

Mikala was fully committed to his quest

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
RIP Mikala...gnarly way to go.
30 years ago was surfing on North Stradbroke island (car ferry and fast cat access). A pair of grom brothers that were surfing there without their parents came up to the campsite with one of them that had blood pouring out of a huge open, gouge in the front of his thigh. Initially I thought he'd been bitten by a shark.
The tail of his board had hit him in the thigh and broken off as a result. I wrapped a towel around his thigh and we jumped into my 4WD and bolted over to the medical centre near the ferry stop.
Local nurse was in attendance of some old lady and casual as hell, told us to wait, despite my protestations to the seriousness of the kid's wound.
Eventually when she had done with the old girl she took him into the treatment room and you should have seen her face change the moment she unwrapped the towel. Thankfully hadn't hit his femoral or would have been a different story. Luckily the fast cat was about to leave and I got him onto it and off he went.
Was walking along the riverside in Brisbane city a year or two later and the kid must have recognised me. His parents came up and thanked me. Apparently he'd had to undergo emergency surgery and a couple of operations later to repair the wounds but was good.
This kind of thing happening in a remote location is such a heavy situation.

Last edited: