RIP Mikala Jones

perfect_wave

OTF status
Dec 5, 2002
Besides CPR every surfer should know how to use a tourniquet- especially when you are far away from emergency medical care.

For the prices people are paying all the boats and surf camps should have trained EMTs On the crew.

I keep two of these in my travel first aid kit.

Sorry, a tourniquet would do nothing for a 10 cm wound and a severed femoral artery higher up than the leg, which this injury reportedly was. You would need an immediate vascular clamp or someone trained to apply pressure (if injury was low enough), and even then I’m not sure a person could survive this injury outside the hospital.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Sorry, a tourniquet would do nothing for a 10 cm wound and a severed femoral artery higher up than the leg, which this injury reportedly was. You would need an immediate vascular clamp or someone trained to apply pressure (if injury was low enough), and even then I’m not sure a person could survive this injury outside the hospital.
Unfortunately you’re right. It’s scary to think about an injury that severe could happen to anyone surfing and there’s little you can do about it if it does.

Reactions: tacos

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
heartbreaking. I don’t dwell much on risk while surfing, but it’s injuries like this, and maybe broken backs and necks, that pop up in my head more often than drowning or sharks

I think there was a discussion years ago about sharp fins. I might sand mine down. I’ve seen a lot of bloody fin wounds. Even on a shin or a foot they bleed like crazy. F-ing terrible.

how many of us are super lucky to still be alive? Rip

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
The dude was a legend. Sad to hear about his passing, but respect to the life he lived.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
F-ing Terrible!!! Horrible way to go....Does anyone sand their fins down to make them a little duller?
Duller? No, sharper and more flex? Yes.

:shrug:

Screenshot_2023-07-10_122905.jpg
Screenshot_2023-07-10_123009.jpg

We are all mortal here, as Mr. Mojorisin once told us, "noone here gets out alive!".

R.I.P. Mikala, may you enjoy chilling Bin Tangs with the other great one up there surely awaiting your arrival.

Mr. Bickerton will surely receive you with open arms Mikala.
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
This is just so sad...surfing is dangerous, waves with power, sharp things we ride..ya just never know. I've had stitches. My good friend and locally famous Northcoast surfer Greg G had his femoral artery punctured at HTs in the Ments. His travel partner and solid no hesitation knows what to do guy JT immediately stuck his hand in there and stopped the bleeding and saved Greg's life. Ironic thing is JT later died of cancer, Greg is still charging.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Truly horrible. RIP.

I had a close call when I was 17. Did a backside floater and during reentry the backwash blew up under me, flipping my board upside down. The nose of the board got stuck in the sand and I landed on my fin right in my groin area. Went to the ER and doc said I missed my femeral by a couple millimeters (luckily didn't lose a nut either). Took 18 stitches inside and out to close it up. Didn't think much of it back then cause when you're 17 you think you're invincible, but hearing this story really gave me chills.

• Wow
Reactions: diro

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
Never really thought of this. Is there a "safest way" to exit a barrel in which you will not be coming out of? I've had barrels clamp on me all the time and never actually thought about it. Not really aware of a best practice I guess. Eject into the wall of the wave? Any real barrel hunter's advice here?

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
F-ing Terrible!!! Horrible way to go....Does anyone sand their fins down to make them a little duller?
Sand the trailing edge of your fins and avoid G10 like the plague.

Probably would not have made a difference for Mikala. But it’s a good rule of thumb, especially for the average joe who would notice no difference in performance.

Last edited:

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
So awful. Watching some of the video of cats charging heavy Greenbush and Skeleton Bay I always think about what happens if you have a really catastrophic injury like this. A femoral puncture of course, is just about the worst even if you're amidst civilization. But still....