RIP Mikala Jones

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
Condolences to M J's family, many friends, and fans.

A few years ago in NB a surfer wiped out, and as his board reached the max. stretch, a swimmer got next to the cord and died after the board rebounded back and a fin cut his throat. I get nervous when I see fly away pullouts in radical conditions like the 'Chopes event.

• Wow
Reactions: $kully and brukuns

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
heartbreaking. I don’t dwell much on risk while surfing, but it’s injuries like this, and maybe broken backs and necks, that pop up in my head more often than drowning or sharks

I think there was a discussion years ago about sharp fins. I might sand mine down. I’ve seen a lot of bloody fin wounds. Even on a shin or a foot they bleed like crazy. F-ing terrible.

how many of us are super lucky to still be alive? Rip
twenty plus years ago when I first landed in California I was up in Santa Cruz with anotherhigh school friend who drove cross country with us and ended up heading north cause he didn’t like LA. We borrowed his roommates board and paddled out in trunks in cold ass water like total kooks. He paddled for one wave and went over the falls. Said he banged his foot on his board and it hurt but didn’t make much mention of it. We lasted maybe 10min longer in the cold water before we agreed it was stupid and we should get out. As we walked up on to the sand I noticed blood everywhere and he had a huge gash across the top of his foot and up the front of his ankle. Apparently the water was so cold he had no idea. He ended up with something like 20 stitches.

Jun 29, 2017
twenty plus years ago when I first landed in California I was up in Santa Cruz with anotherhigh school friend who drove cross country with us and ended up heading north cause he didn’t like LA. We borrowed his roommates board and paddled out in trunks in cold ass water like total kooks. He paddled for one wave and went over the falls. Said he banged his foot on his board and it hurt but didn’t make much mention of it. We lasted maybe 10min longer in the cold water before we agreed it was stupid and we should get out. As we walked up on to the sand I noticed blood everywhere and he had a huge gash across the top of his foot and up the front of his ankle. Apparently the water was so cold he had no idea. He ended up with something like 20 stitches.
Cool story bro…nobody cares! RIP THREAD TO HONOR TO A LEGEND and you are still that guy!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I have seen Mikala pull into some huge barrels over the past 30+ years while checking NS spots and making excuses or while being in the water with him and paddling furiously away from the ones he was seeking. We are about the same age and he was one of the guys I saw surfing when we were groms and realized I’d never be a pro or even close. Guy was a mad man when it came to huge pits. Like big scary barrels…. He’d be right there, deep, head down and falling out of the sky into them.

Hearing about his fatal Injury just shows that you never know when it’s your time, he’d been doing it for 30+ years and then a nightmare happens on a random morning in the Mentawais. Carpe Diem.

Last edited:

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
heartbreaking. I don’t dwell much on risk while surfing, but it’s injuries like this, and maybe broken backs and necks, that pop up in my head more often than drowning or sharks

I think there was a discussion years ago about sharp fins. I might sand mine down. I’ve seen a lot of bloody fin wounds. Even on a shin or a foot they bleed like crazy. F-ing terrible.

how many of us are super lucky to still be alive? Rip
I'm sanding mine down. Undoubtedly, that will not affect my performance one jot.

Reactions: Sam_K

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
My first trip to the Ments in 2001, we had the biggest swell to hit in 5 years or so. We had a Hawaiian on our boat charging the biggest bombs, sitting outside of everyone. On a small, HH day, he got one that pinched on him, took a fin to the calf. Some toothless guide from another boat sewed him up w the suture kit my EMT buddy brought. When he got home, he said he needed surgery to remove the dead tissue and was in a hip cast for a couple of weeks.

I once told Greg Griffin that his fins scared me. He didn't like hearing that.

Condolences to the Joneses.

• Wow
Reactions: JDJ and r32

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Would these have saved him? Whenever something like this happens, or when I get a minor cut (like I just did recently on the back of my heel while spinning around for a wave), I think about these, but then themoment passes...

Any ride reports?

Reactions: JDJ and mundus

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Would these have saved him? Whenever something like this happens, or when I get a minor cut (like I just did recently on the back of my heel while spinning around for a wave), I think about these, but then themoment passes...

Any ride reports?

Here is what I did the one set that came through my house. They'd be OK for kids or people who wouldn't know any better. They are significantly less rigid than a set of the least expensive FCS plastic fins. The light gray ones shops sometimes give away with boards. They work well for this purpose.

1689280223971.png

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Here is what I did the one set that came through my house. They'd be OK for kids or people who wouldn't know any better. They are significantly less rigid than a set of the least expensive FCS plastic fins. The light gray ones shops sometimes give away with boards. They work well for this purpose.

View attachment 158333
Their website shows the fins you have as "Powerflex." There is another line called "Performance" with "a rigid core." Anybody try the rigid ones?

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
So sad. He seemed like such a neat guy. Wonder where it happened? I know hes a regular foot in the land of the lefts. Seems like the most horrific tube wipeouts usually occur backhand.

Reactions: r32 and mundus

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
So sad. He seemed like such a neat guy. Wonder where it happened? I know hes a regular foot in the land of the lefts. Seems like the most horrific tube wipeouts usually occur backhand.
That's a good point. Backside to the tube seems easier to wipeout and go over the falls.