Refinance now??

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
So parkTeric or 2surf said that 15 year loans are usually lower interest rates, maybe 1.75 is a stretch, but 2% on a 15 year loan should be doable right?

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
What am I missing when it comes to fees?

If you close a lower rate than the loan with no fees then you pay less interest over time. The minimal closing fees eventually have a break even point. I've ran the calculation every which way and don't understand the argument of no fees.
I remember talking to you last year. It all depends on the person's scenario. Lets say you owe $500k on your existing mortgage and you have two options(THIS IS JUST a HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO)

OPTION 1: $500k with 1 point cost for 2.5%, which will bump your loan amount up to $505k if you bake into your loan. Monthly principal and interest payment would be $1995 on $505k loan amount

OPTION 2: $500k with zero points/zero fees for 2.625% loan amount. Loan balance stays at $505k. Payment is $2008 on $500k loan amount.

OPTION 2 is $13 more per month than Option 1. Option 1's breakeven point is $5000/13 equals 384 months(more than the life of the loan). Hence, Option 2 is a better move than OPTION 1. Average sales-oriented loan officers will try to sell you on OPTION 1 using the interest rate as the dangling carrot bait. Hope this makes sense.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
So parkTeric or 2surf said that 15 year loans are usually lower interest rates, maybe 1.75 is a stretch, but 2% on a 15 year loan should be doable right?
Depending on loan amount, LTV, property type, Credit...15 year fixed should be high 1's to low 2's

Reactions: Subway

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
If you want, I’ll intro you to my mortgage banker I worked last month. She got me what I think was a good rate and I think all the fees I paid were all that recording tax and title fee stuff
Not major bank, but a true lender, not a broker

Reactions: Subway

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I remember talking to you last year. It all depends on the person's scenario. Lets say you owe $500k on your existing mortgage and you have two options(THIS IS JUST a HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO)

OPTION 1: $500k with 1 point cost for 2.5%, which will bump your loan amount up to $505k if you bake into your loan. Monthly principal and interest payment would be $1995 on $505k loan amount

OPTION 2: $500k with zero points/zero fees for 2.625% loan amount. Loan balance stays at $505k. Payment is $2008 on $500k loan amount.

OPTION 2 is $13 more per month than Option 1. Option 1's breakeven point is $5000/13 equals 384 months(more than the life of the loan). Hence, Option 2 is a better move than OPTION 1. Average sales-oriented loan officers will try to sell you on OPTION 1 using the interest rate as the dangling carrot bait. Hope this makes sense.
I don't understand. Don't you need to consider total interest paid over the life of the loan? The breakeven isn't just how long it takes to recoup the fees. After 10 years of payments the borrower in your example pays $5K less in interest with the 2.5% loan which is the true breakeven for the two loans. Paying $13 more per month results in the borrower paying more interest over the loan. That is what I do not understand. Why is that beneficial?

Using your hypothetical example, the 2.625% no fee borrower pays ~$10K more in interest over the life of the loan. You still come out ahead if you pay $5500 to the 2.5% loan. Obviously, if you refi before 10 years then the borrower doesn't win.

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
I don't understand. Don't you need to consider total interest paid over the life of the loan? The breakeven isn't just how long it takes to recoup the fees. After 10 years of payments the borrower in your example pays $5K less in interest with the 2.5% loan which is the true breakeven for the two loans. Paying $13 more per month results in the borrower paying more interest over the loan. That is what I do not understand. Why is that beneficial?

Using your hypothetical example, the 2.625% no fee borrower pays ~$10K more in interest over the life of the loan. You still come out ahead if you pay $5500 to the 2.5% loan. Obviously, if you refi before 10 years then the borrower doesn't win.

In this rate market, your recoup time should be zero. We used to say 2 years is the max recoup time. The difference interest paid over a 30 year span is $9600, which is nothing over 360 months. Plus, you're writing off that mortgage interest on your taxes anyway.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
In this rate market, your recoup time should be zero. We used to say 2 years is the max recoup time. The difference interest paid over a 30 year span is $9600, which is nothing over 360 months. Plus, you're writing off that mortgage interest on your taxes anyway.
Let’s say you’re 10 years into a mortgage
And refi for a 30 year
That’s 10 more years of interest
Doesn’t that play into it and make it more complex math?

Reactions: Mr Doof

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
This is about what is most beneficial to the borrower. I don't see how paying more interest to the bank is a better deal.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
This is about what is most beneficial to the borrower. I don't see how paying more interest to the bank is a better deal.
Cause you’re paying nothing out of pocket and if you calculate interest it basically becomes even.

And like he said interest is written off.

It’s all completely dependent on market, how long you keep, and other variables

Reactions: parkiteric

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
Let’s say you’re 10 years into a mortgage
And refi for a 30 year
That’s 10 more years of interest
Doesn’t that play into it and make it more complex math?
No you can pay off your 30 year mortgage in 10 years or less if you want to. Conventional fixed mortgages have no prepayment penalty. The days of subprime loans pre 2008 are long gone.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Cause you’re paying nothing out of pocket and if you calculate interest it basically becomes even.

And like he said interest is written off.

It’s all completely dependent on market, how long you keep, and other variables
Nothing gets paid out of pocket either way. It gets rolled into the loan.

$5K is not even. The end result is the bank wins and you lose when you take the higher interest no fee loan.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
$5K in fees is absurd no matter what kind of creative math you use. Keep shopping around if that's what's offered.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
$5K in fees is absurd no matter what kind of creative math you use. Keep shopping around if that's what's offered.
Yes. But you have to shop around and do the math. Don't listen to what someone selling you a mortgage tells you. Do the analysis yourself.

I was quoted 2.625% no fees or 2.5% with $3500 in fees. The breakeven for 2.5% with fees is just over 4 years in terms of interest paid + fees. That doesn't even account for the extra $43 per month that I would be paying for 2.625%.

Reactions: Mr Doof

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yes. But you have to shop around and do the math. Don't listen to what someone selling you a mortgage tells you. Do the analysis yourself.

I was quoted 2.625% no fees or 2.5% with $3500 in fees. The breakeven for 2.5% with fees is just over 4 years in terms of interest paid + fees. That doesn't even account for the extra $43 per month that I would be paying for 2.625%.
I agree that the rates over time can cancel that out. What I'm getting at is that in this competitive market, you can probably get both a very low rate and none-to-minimal fees.

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010

Ask your financial advisor and present him these two exact scenarios. 100% guarantee he/she will say take OPTION 2.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Ask your financial advisor and present him these two exact scenarios. 100% guarantee he/she will say take OPTION 2.
There is no chance any competent financial advisor would ever tell you to go for a higher payment and pay more in interest over the life of the loan to avoid fees. The math doesn't make sense.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
There is no chance any competent financial advisor would ever tell you to go for a higher payment and pay more in interest over the life of the loan to avoid fees. The math doesn't make sense.
Cause a majority of people don’t stay 10 years.

Further- investing that 5000 with dollar cost averaging of an extra 10 dollars over 10 years leaves you way better