R.I.P. Surfer Magazine

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
so the last issue is a political marxist statement. morans. why not put that tom curren cutback at backdoor pipe as a goodbye issue.
It really is a thoughtless way to close.

58 years of content.

Wanderlust.

Iconic images that are burned into our brains and charted the course of many of our lives for better or worse.

Ending with an... endorsement for POTUSA.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Unlikely the editorial staff knew it was their final issue, IMO. While they surely had an idea their mag was not a profit center for their owner, they would've been the last to know. I worked in corpo strategy/finance for years and once the decision is made by the executives that it's no longer a worthwhile venture to support, an announcement is made to the production/operations (in this case, editorial) staff that the company/department is being shut down. Depending on the type of business, it's usually it's effectively immediately- like "thank you for your hard work, gather your things, and leave"- not plan your final issue. Certainly this would be the scenario when a magazine title is folded by a media conglomerate /private equity owner. Maybe it's self-important, but magazine editors always like to think their issues are a reflection of the current times to their readers. Whether we agree/disagree with their stance, they were surely trying to cover/reflect the extraordinary current political/cultural/social moment to their readers (it would almost be strange not to acknowledge it at all), with the assumption the next cover would probably have another tropical barrel on it.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
My theory is that Ziff needed a losing business for tax purposes, so at the suggestion of his wife, he bought the WSL.

This photo says it all about where surfing is headed. Three of the best surfers in the world, with a serial rapist movie mogul, and a billionaire who bought himself the 'waterman of the year' award.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
My theory is that Ziff needed a losing business for tax purposes, so at the suggestion of his wife, he bought the WSL.

This photo says it all about where surfing is headed.

You could throw Trumb, Epsteen, jizzlane, and fallwell in that group and not much would be different.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house

This photo says it all about where surfing is headed.

nice shoes, slater! and medina is wearing his mom’s pants. at least harvey weinstein has learned the lesson of “slimming black”.

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Talk about out with a whimper. In college going through journalism classes we were told that magazines and newspapers were going to go away. This is a long time ago. I really tried to support the print version of er the last decade. But every time I bought one there was nothing there. Ads, a few pictures and largely nothing. The old mags you could entertain yourself for hours. The last few Surfer mags I got, I was done with them inside of 20 minutes. Just vapid. Like a lot of things now.

The whole thing makes me sad. It's the end of an era. I mean we knew it was already over, but this is the last nail in the coffin. It's official.

Is Tracks magazine still going?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Talk about out with a whimper. In college going through journalism classes we were told that magazines and newspapers were going to go away. This is a long time ago. I really tried to support the print version of er the last decade. But every time I bought one there was nothing there. Ads, a few pictures and largely nothing. The old mags you could entertain yourself for hours. The last few Surfer mags I got, I was done with them inside of 20 minutes. Just vapid. Like a lot of things now.

The whole thing makes me sad. It's the end of an era. I mean we knew it was already over, but this is the last nail in the coffin. It's official.

Is Tracks magazine still going?
That’s not a very progressive attitude.:shameonyou:

Jeez, less than four years ago it had never been a better time to live in America.

I bought my first surfboard from money I saved from a paper route. How are groms gonna pay for their first surfboard now? Then there’s the backpack loaded with wetsuits, leashes, fins, wax, changing towel, ebike...

:nana:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That’s not a very progressive attitude.:shameonyou:

Jeez, less than four years ago it had never been a better time to live in America.

I bought my first surfboard from money I saved from a paper route. How are groms gonna pay for their first surfboard now? Then there’s the backpack loaded with wetsuits, leashes, fins, wax, changing towel, ebike...

:nana:
Duh. The groms now are all influencers by the age of 12 and get paid five figures for the ads on their youtube videos of toy unboxing and reviews.

So how is this BB still here?

Are we dead and don't know it?
Purgatory.