R.I.P. Surfer Magazine

toPBk

Miki Dora status
Mar 27, 2002
North Pacific Beach, CA
If this is the end- Good By Bitchados!

Finally broke down to the jackbooted ones in March of 2002 and registered... ahh the memories of the pre-registration times - you newer guys think this place is lawless - imagine total anonymity 20 years ago.!

I hope LeeD is looking down from Heaven with a big sh!t eatin' grin - giving us all the finger for our karma.

toPBk OUT:jamon:

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
When I as a kid in Webster Elementary kindergarten, someone came into class and gave the kids free surfer magazines. I have no idea who or why, but I had one of the first issues of surfer mag. It was huge. My imagination was captured. The next day I was standing up on my Hodgman surf mat. The mag was there every step of the way. I remember hustling quarters out of seat cushions and riding my bike to the liquor store. "Is it here yet?" Nope. Back the next day. "Is it here yet?" Then copies started going to the surf shops. "Did you see the new one?" Get thee to the shop.

Thinly veiled drug references, O'Neill "It's always summer on the inside" titties. Obtuse references to who got their ass kicked on the North Shore this year and surfboards. Always the boards. At one point there was a new "design breakthrough" every month. Kid, if you only had one of these, you could really rip! And the next surf movie. Times dates and places. Be there or don't matter. Gatherings of the tribe.

And now, it's all winding down. We've gone from Busting Down the Door to quietly shutting the door. WaveStorms, wave pools, COVID safe surf schools, a WSL that is limping towards obscurity... maybe all is as it should be. It's been a great ride. I wouldn't have wanted to be anyplace else. Everything comes to an end. Somehow I just thought this one would go on just a little longer.

See y'all around. For just a little longer anyway...

:waving:

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
When I as a kid in Webster Elementary kindergarten, someone came into class and gave the kids free surfer magazines. I have no idea who or why, but I had one of the first issues of surfer mag. It was huge. My imagination was captured. The next day I was standing up on my Hodgman surf mat. The mag was there every step of the way. I remember hustling quarters out of seat cushions and riding my bike to the liquor store. "Is it here yet?" Nope. Back the next day. "Is it here yet?" Then copies started going to the surf shops. "Did you see the new one?" Get thee to the shop.

Thinly veiled drug references, O'Neill "It's always summer on the inside" titties. Obtuse references to who got their ass kicked on the North Shore this year and surfboards. Always the boards. At one point there was a new "design breakthrough" every month. Kid, if you only had one of these, you could really rip! And the next surf movie. Times dates and places. Be there or don't matter. Gatherings of the tribe.

And now, it's all winding down. We've gone from Busting Down the Door to quietly shutting the door. WaveStorms, wave pools, COVID safe surf schools, a WSL that is limping towards obscurity... maybe all is as it should be. It's been a great ride. I wouldn't have wanted to be anyplace else. Everything comes to an end. Somehow I just thought this one would go on just a little longer.

OMG.
You sir...:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
I'lll see you at Big Drake's.
Thanks mods, for the forehead slap imodicon. Still waiting for the drunk stumbler.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

F3A35B00-DDC7-4AF6-B7B1-56BFA2D3A4F4.jpeg
I followed these fakas all the way down the rabbit hole to the end of the road.

Thanks for all the bindie material!

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
This feels like a big loss. Surfer has been there all my surfing life. Covered my walls, my school stuff, with cutout pictures. Without it, I would have had no connection to the larger surfing world.

Oct 29, 2012
This is another testament to the failure of capitalism. As soon as American Media bought the title the writing was on the wall. They borrowed money to purchase, immediately paid out the standing capital to themselves as though they had earned it, then couldn’t service the debt because there were no reserves. Ive been through several of these things where corporate “money managers” bought going concerns, then raped them for their own short term benefit. When the staff got th ax I guarantee some corporate shill ad he temerity to say “€we had to make some tough decisions“, which is corporate speak for, We decided that the best way to wring the las drop of money out of this business is to screw you.”

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
It's crazy the end is near considering how popular surfing is but millenials don't buy mags.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
This is another testament to the failure of capitalism. As soon as American Media bought the title the writing was on the wall. They borrowed money to purchase, immediately paid out the standing capital to themselves as though they had earned it, then couldn’t service the debt because there were no reserves. Ive been through several of these things where corporate “money managers” bought going concerns, then raped them for their own short term benefit. When the staff got th ax I guarantee some corporate shill ad he temerity to say “€we had to make some tough decisions“, which is corporate speak for, We decided that the best way to wring the las drop of money out of this business is to screw you.”
Pay the man....

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Surfing used to be a fringe thing to do, even in coastal southern California. Even in the Emerald City, an "island" of 1.5 square miles, you'd think everybody surfed. But no, only a few of us did. It was like a special thing we all had in common, so what if we were tribal and couldn't stand each other sometimes. Even though we had our own mags (the now dead -er and -ing), the family scene and parents were definitely NOT part of the picture, as surfing was kind of a subversive thing to do. (BTW the waves suck there - close out city. Not worth the drive)

Somewhere along the line pro surfing hits the big time, surfing goes mainstream and now everybody surfs. Every single damn family has half a dozen Costco boards and a day surfing at <insert easily accessible lineup here> has turned into a nice family day at the beach, complete with tents, popups, minivans, moms, kids, friends, beach wagons, fat dads, and gallons of sunscreen. This is the scene at my local, thanks in no small measure to a cam and EZ parking. I love the beach life but its popularity has sucked the "special" right out of it. The only real places left are the ones that are hard to get to or are really rocky or fickle or are otherwise not a good family destination. It's enough to make a guy think about quitting the ocean and moving to the mountains to ski pow and fish for trout.

Then I see Truth's thread about him and his daughter in Indo. Everything is made righteous and pure again, and the stoke comes flooding back. All is not lost.

I think I'll start diving at _____ reef, which is hard to get to and where no families or students ever go, and wait for those few magic winter days.