Pyzel Pyzalien

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
a lil bit of a hijack, but considering a Red Tiger XL - what say the erbb - too much overlap with my beloved Pyzalien 2 XL?
I bet it overlaps so you should def give it a go!:D
Shop offloaded my dims before I could grab one.

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
I went shorter wider for a groveler pyzalien and it didn’t work as good as the original daily driver stock one…

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
P2 range is amazing. Haven't ridden mine all summer though.
My 6'1 is pretty flogged. Need to replace it.
Was gonna offload my XTR P2 but got annoyed with all the tire kickers.
Nothin worse then selling boards on craigs.
It'll stay in the quiver for winter.

Reactions: Aruka
Mar 11, 2023
Just picked one up the other day and am loving it so far. From small weak waves to some head high runners this board is crazy fun and versatile. Been playing with fin set ups and was just wondering what have other people liked?

Reactions: emmohl80

Makoman

OTF status
Jun 23, 2003
North East
I am still very much dialing in but I seem to prefer more upright fins vs. rake. Loved it with pivot vapor cores, went well with both med & large Pyzel set. Two days ago at a down the line 4-6ft reef with some real push I used AM2 and seemed too out of control. Definitely could be user issue as I was pushing my comfort zone on a 5’10 in some juice.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Going to try performer L in mine. Didn’t like the IFT fin I tried years ago but figured I’d give it one more shot. My normal AM L felt ok but not quite right.

Jul 1, 2009
Interesting fin experiences. I find my P2 has a good combo of built-in drive, hold, and pivot as-is so doesn't require a specific fin preference to compensate/accommodate board design features. So for me fin choice depends on which part of the combo I want to accentuate.

I'm on the cusp of S vs M fin sizes and in HPSBs would usually gravitate to og FCS YUs or M sides and S center. P2 is drivey as-is so the larger sides not needed and actually feel sticky off the top.

H2 med thruster, Captain Fin Dane Small thruster = top-to-bottom and on-rail surfing. Performer S also work.

Quads are also fun, more flowy. speedy and drifty off the top. either performer quads or H2 fronts and TW quad rears.

CF twin especial + trailer great combo for rip bowls.

Currently running this Canadian tuxedo setup. so far so good.

IMG-20230819-WA0003.jpg

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
We need some waves again so I can dust mine off after this crappy summer. I liked thruster (JJF L sides and M trailer), but tried it as a quad (JJF L sides, 3.75 rears) and preferred that- but then I usually prefer quad.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
I've legit never ridden mine as a quad. Second one I didn't even get quads boxes on it.
May try some Hayden rears if I can find them.

Reactions: daave

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
Anyone know if the Pyzalien sizes up well? I’d rather go with a slightly longer one with regular dims as opposed to the thicker XL version.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I preferred as quad, but worked fine as thruster.

Every fin combo I tried worked well- never had that in a SB before.

Currently running McCallum quads and it's really drivey, positive set-up which I very much enjoy.

Every once in a while, if you aren't really in control of water flow through the fins (in transition between turns for eg) it can feel a bit tracky.

Reactions: Pyzelsurfboards

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Anyone know if the Pyzalien sizes up well? I’d rather go with a slightly longer one with regular dims as opposed to the thicker XL version.
Should. It's loose for its length.

Reactions: jwd
Mar 11, 2023
So far I’ve only used it as a quad. On smaller days I run the fronts from the Machado thruster set and rears QD2 3.75 and found it had good drive/looseness. That’s my go to set up on my Bobby Quad.

But as it gets bigger (HH+) I find that set up starts to feel a little stuck at the top of the wave. So I’ve been playing with the OG Rasta quads and that made it feel faster and more responsive.

I typically ride medium fins (I weigh 160) but have been wanting to experiment with large fins, especially in the thruster realm.

Reactions: sdsrfr