Pyzel Pyzalien

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
what dims did you get?
it was someone’s custom XL, thicker n wider than stock 5’11. I’m thinking it will be a good step up from my chunky Gremlin swallowtail (underrated & versatile for SoCal IMO)… and an easier transition coming from my usual fishy twins.
Edit: 5’11 x 20 x 2 11/16

Reactions: MathDebater

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
thanks for the feedback, bros. It's a factory blem boar (couple tiny repaired dings) on a decent discount, in dims that seemed perfect for me, and they were willing to add quad boxes...
so I pulled the trigger. Merry Xmas to me.
Stocked to give it a go in the new year, given all the positive reviews here and my previous experience on pyzels.
:shaka:
Thanks for the support! We are always trying to give everyone the best service as possible and I am stoked to hear that my crew said yes to adding your quad boxes!!

Mar 15, 2022
Happy New Year! I plan on picking a Pyzalien 2 this week and have a few questions about the dims and how you are sizing them.

I am almost 50 years old, 5'9 and 170#s and surf mostly North County SD beach breaks. I like a little extra foam. My intention is that this is the board I will be surfing most of the time.

I do have a pretty basic knowledge of surfboard design and I feel like I am getting too deep in the weeds on these dims but I figured I would throw this question out there regarding the Pyzalien 2 and the Pyzalien 2 xl.

At first I was considering the stock 6'2 x 20 x 2 5/8 at 34.9L then I saw the XL at 6'0 x 20 1/8 x 2 5/8 at 34.1L. In my mind the difference between the volume of the two is negligible. I am not sure I would notice it. However the length and rail line may have a bigger impact.

What would I gain/lose by going with one over the other? Or would it be so minimal since I am not a top tier surfer honing my skills and boards on perfect waves day in and day out that I wouldn't notice (which is what I think).

Additionally what are the thoughts on this as a travel board? I am going to Indonesia in a year and was considering this as one of the boards to take with me.

Reactions: MathDebater

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Happy New Year! I plan on picking a Pyzalien 2 this week and have a few questions about the dims and how you are sizing them.

I am almost 50 years old, 5'9 and 170#s and surf mostly North County SD beach breaks. I like a little extra foam. My intention is that this is the board I will be surfing most of the time.

I do have a pretty basic knowledge of surfboard design and I feel like I am getting too deep in the weeds on these dims but I figured I would throw this question out there regarding the Pyzalien 2 and the Pyzalien 2 xl.

At first I was considering the stock 6'2 x 20 x 2 5/8 at 34.9L then I saw the XL at 6'0 x 20 1/8 x 2 5/8 at 34.1L. In my mind the difference between the volume of the two is negligible. I am not sure I would notice it. However the length and rail line may have a bigger impact.

What would I gain/lose by going with one over the other? Or would it be so minimal since I am not a top tier surfer honing my skills and boards on perfect waves day in and day out that I wouldn't notice (which is what I think).

Additionally what are the thoughts on this as a travel board? I am going to Indonesia in a year and was considering this as one of the boards to take with me.
Do the rails feel different? Depending on how you surf, or want to surf, that can make a big difference. I know I felt up some Aliens at one surf shop. I remember specifically a 6-2. It felt big... voluminous. I was at another shop sometime later and another 6-2 felt just right. Not sure if the first was an XL. I wasn't aware at the time of the two different models. But rail volume translates to "skimming dish" vs "plank on edge," fat rails will feel more fishy, good for fatter waves, thinner rails allow you to get on edge easier, carve, good for hollower waves.

I don't knwo much about North SD beaches. Surfed Ponto once, Beacons once. Both seemed more of a fat wave compared to the South Bay closeouts I'm used to.

Reactions: OsideBum

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

I'd echo Maz on getting the 6'0 XL. FWIW I've got 1" height and 20 lbs on you, and I got the 5'11 XL which feels great to me. I could've gained a little bit of paddle power if I were to have grabbed a 6'0 XL but the 5'11 has worked really well so far - I've surfed it 5 out of the last 7 days in the swell we've gotten in central/north SD beach and reef breaks. I also think it would be a great travel board.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002

I would take the 6'2" over the 6'0" exactly for the rail line impact if you want a travel board for really good waves. The board is loose enough that the added length isn't a detriment, but I noticed on my 6'1" that I could have used an extra couple of inches of rail driving it through hollow backside waves at Pavones.

For daily driving in NCSD, the shorter board is probably fine and maybe better.

May 4, 2017
San Diego
Wanting to get a P2 for slightly-better-than-average to above average San Diego waves (let's say what Surfline tends to call 3-4ft up to what they call 4-6ft around here). My normal volume falls about half way between the 5'10" P2 and the 5'11" P2. For this model, is it better to size a bit bigger or a bit smaller? Or is it very flexible and can work well going either direction?