Pyzel Pyzalien

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Wanting to get a P2 for slightly-better-than-average to above average San Diego waves (let's say what Surfline tends to call 3-4ft up to what they call 4-6ft around here). My normal volume falls about half way between the 5'10" P2 and the 5'11" P2. For this model, is it better to size a bit bigger or a bit smaller? Or is it very flexible and can work well going either direction?
Should be a great boar for what you want. I use it same in those conditions in SD. I’ve tried a few Pyzels and this is my fave SB of his.
Don’t think that inch in length will make a huge difference (tho that’s not what she said!). I think it’s the rocker and foam distribution that make it versatile. Personally, if sticking to stoke dims, I’d go with the longer one to maximize upper range.
@tedshred5 can also comment on the P2 in local waves.

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Agree with that. I'm 6ft 175ish. I've already had a Pyzalien 5'10.5 19,5 2,38 30.8L that I loved. Got used to less volume and went 5'9 19.5 2.38 30.2L to try it smaller. Ends up I liked the bigger one way more. Both the original pyzaliens, not p2 though.

Reactions: delmartian

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
I had the original Pyzalien in PU. If I got another for so cal I would probably go for an XTR or similar lighter construction and maybe go for the XL chunkier dims. When I had the standard I kind of wished it was a little floatier.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Wanting to get a P2 for slightly-better-than-average to above average San Diego waves (let's say what Surfline tends to call 3-4ft up to what they call 4-6ft around here). My normal volume falls about half way between the 5'10" P2 and the 5'11" P2. For this model, is it better to size a bit bigger or a bit smaller? Or is it very flexible and can work well going either direction?
yah that range is exactly what I got my P2 for. I'm 5'10 190#, mine is a 5'11 x 19.87 x 2.56 XL dims. I think I could've easily gone with the 6'1 x 19.75 x 2.56 normal dims which is about the same volume. I don't think you can go wrong with the longer size, esp in our area, 4-6' waves still tend to be on the softer side.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Stock p2 5'10" is only 1/8"- width and only 1/16"- less in thickness then 5'11" with volume difference minium would go 5'11" for better wave board.

Reactions: delmartian

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
It's got a big range and a big sweet spot, and I think you can size up or down without too much drama.

(My first one (P1) was 6'0, and the current one (P2) is a 6'3. Big fan of both, but I surf mostly long point waves and am old, so bigger is better.)

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
It's got a big range and a big sweet spot, and I think you can size up or down without too much drama.

(My first one (P1) was 6'0, and the current one (P2) is a 6'3. Big fan of both, but I surf mostly long point waves and am old, so bigger is better.)
Got this puppy today based almost entirely on your non-stop shilling of this surfing board. You've set the bar high! Hope it lives up to the hype

Attachments

Reactions: MathDebater

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I have nothing but good things to say about it- super user friendly SB with an enormous range and very fin agnostic.
Only had it out for one session but already it feels epic. About head high and it was taking me down the line with beautiful speed. Now I'm curious to find out what it's upper range is like. But I totally agree with you. Based on one session anyways it seems to be an awesome board

Reactions: Aruka

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
a lil bit of a hijack, but considering a Red Tiger XL - what say the erbb - too much overlap with my beloved Pyzalien 2 XL?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
What makes a board fin agnostic........or fin specific for that matter?
God question- I guess a design that seems to work good to great with a wide range of fins vs a design that seems more specific about what fins feel good.

eg, my Ghost just felt terrible as a quad-, so, so bad I never went there again.

I haven't answered your question well, others might chime in.

Maybe it's a rocker curve thing?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
In my experience well balanced boards without any extreme design elements are usually the ones that work with a wide variety of fins.

Most of my favorite boards have been ones that worked with lots of different sets.

I dont often like 5 fin boards equally as both a thruster and quad though. I think they are usually optimized for one or the other.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Now I'm curious to find out what it's upper range is like.
For me on my 6'2", it's about 6' Hawaiian Haleiwa/Jockos/Rocky Point, and that range is capped more by the amount of water moving and the woes of paddling a 6'2" around North Shore rip currents than the board maxing out on a wave. I also had a real hard time with it in grinding backside head and a half Coronado barrels, but that's a function of me not being very good at late drops into grinding backside barrels. If you had a nice smooth day at a reef with a super consistent takeoff spot you could probably push it towards triple overhead before it really started to redline.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
For me on my 6'2", it's about 6' Hawaiian Haleiwa/Jockos/Rocky Point, and that range is capped more by the amount of water moving and the woes of paddling a 6'2" around North Shore rip currents than the board maxing out on a wave. I also had a real hard time with it in grinding backside head and a half Coronado barrels, but that's a function of me not being very good at late drops into grinding backside barrels. If you had a nice smooth day at a reef with a super consistent takeoff spot you could probably push it towards triple overhead before it really started to redline.
Well sh!t, that's good to hear. If it can hold in nicely when it's doh then I'm sold.
I was looking for a board to buy in heavy glassed varial and have forever as my travel board, and it looks like this one might be it.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
This is about as big as I ride mine - and in clean conditions only. My legs are not strong enough to control a small board in bigger, bumpy waves.

And I just wanted to bump this pic to the top. Nice one, Jon.

Shadow and P2 have very similar rocker through front half of the boards, but Shadow has close to 1/4" MORE rocker through the back half (when measuring a 6'0'') . P2 is still probably the best overall DD/HPSB that I have made. Can handle many sizes of waves --View attachment 132663 This photo is me on a 5'8" P2 (I am 5'9'')

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
This is about as big as I ride mine - and in clean conditions only. My legs are not strong enough to control a small board in bigger, bumpy waves.

And I just wanted to bump this pic to the top. Nice one, Jon.
Sick pic! Same for me, unless I massively fuck up my surf planning for the day then that's the biggest I'm ever riding a shortboard in.

I have a round tail shadow and it feels like it might have a bit higher top end than the P2, but the Shadow doesn't carry quite as much speed either. Yin and Yang