Pyzel Mini Padillac

Mar 25, 2009
Yeah man. Cmon guys. Tail pads for guns? Nooooooo
Ehhh you could make at least two copies of the mini-padillac I just ordered out of Nate Nate's gun lol. Also, big-huev surfborting legend Pete Mel seems to be a champion of the gun tail/deck pad:

Make of that useless piece of trivia what you will :-D

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
for those with Mini Padis - if I were trying to tune a custom one for big but slopey Southern California wintertime waves with lots of water moving, would you increase width or thickness at stock sizes or both?

Reactions: j_mac

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
for those with Mini Padis - if I were trying to tune a custom one for big but slopey Southern California wintertime waves with lots of water moving, would you increase width or thickness at stock sizes or both?
Not sure i like the mini padi for slopey.
it seems tuned for more curve in the face (pulled, foiled tail, rocker etc).
Personal preference of course but I would think of other choices for those conditions.
But if you were customizing I would probably go thicker not wider.

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
Not sure i like the mini padi for slopey.
it seems tuned for more curve in the face (pulled, foiled tail, rocker etc).
Personal preference of course but I would think of other choices for those conditions.
But if you were customizing I would probably go thicker not wider.
Or... go wider on a custom (regular) padillac.
I could see that being fun at big and slopey if you were committed to the padi DNA (See above Portugal guy)

Last edited:
Reactions: tedshred5

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Anyone tried custom ordering a mini Padillac with a round tail? Know they are probably only offered in swallows for a reason (both performance and maybe to distinguish from a Ghost) but that narrow swallow looks like it would be a little limiting if the wave gave you a little face to play with rather than just gunning for the barrel.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
I just realized that I still owe a short ride report on mine. I'm 6'2 about 195, MP is 6'7 x 20 x 2 7/8. Waited forever to take it for its maiden voyage....The first two or three sessions were a bit underwhelming to be honest. The board felt a bit stiff and slow. Surfed it with dhd m thruster, then dhd m quad. I figured that I might have bitten off more than I can chew and just don't surf the waves that do the board justice. Then I changed the dhd quad rears for reactor quad rears and gave it another go. Kinda mind blowing how different the board felt. The paddle power and confidence on late takeoffs was always there, but now the board feels way more nimble and agile; it's easier to work with flatter sections of the wave too. I probably did some of the biggest, most powerful carves of my life. Stoked. Have yet to get barreled on it though, was mostly surfing it in powerful, but not exactly hollow points.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
For those of you that have surfed/own both, how does the Mini Padi rocker compare to the Ghost? Having a good look at a 7'0 Tank the other day at the points made me think of the differences between Ghost (Pro), Tank and Mini Padi.

Jon @Pyzelsurfboards if you should read this, I'm particularly curious about the comparison between a longer Ghost and Mini Padi, say ~7'0. Would aim for ~20" width, so either Ghost Pro or a slimmer MP. Board would be for powerful, but not super hollow, waves like this:

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
For those of you that have surfed/own both, how does the Mini Padi rocker compare to the Ghost? Having a good look at a 7'0 Tank the other day at the points made me think of the differences between Ghost (Pro), Tank and Mini Padi.

Jon @Pyzelsurfboards if you should read this, I'm particularly curious about the comparison between a longer Ghost and Mini Padi, say ~7'0. Would aim for ~20" width, so either Ghost Pro or a slimmer MP. Board would be for powerful, but not super hollow, waves like this:

I have a 6'2 ghost and a 6'7 MP. Transition between boards feels really seamless, not sure what that says about the rocker. If you order the same width and thickness I'd guess MP is more bladed out in the tail and has thinner rails, but more beef under the chest.
I prefer the ghost as thruster, MP as quad.

If you have photoshop, paint.net or something you could build the boards ik your dims here and compare them with little effort.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Anyone tried custom ordering a mini Padillac with a round tail? Know they are probably only offered in swallows for a reason (both performance and maybe to distinguish from a Ghost) but that narrow swallow looks like it would be a little limiting if the wave gave you a little face to play with rather than just gunning for the barrel.
Custom order anything you want! Our team have just been stoked on the swallow tails, but round tails have always worked great too.

Reactions: money4coffeeman

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I just realized that I still owe a short ride report on mine. I'm 6'2 about 195, MP is 6'7 x 20 x 2 7/8. Waited forever to take it for its maiden voyage....The first two or three sessions were a bit underwhelming to be honest. The board felt a bit stiff and slow. Surfed it with dhd m thruster, then dhd m quad. I figured that I might have bitten off more than I can chew and just don't surf the waves that do the board justice. Then I changed the dhd quad rears for reactor quad rears and gave it another go. Kinda mind blowing how different the board felt. The paddle power and confidence on late takeoffs was always there, but now the board feels way more nimble and agile; it's easier to work with flatter sections of the wave too. I probably did some of the biggest, most powerful carves of my life. Stoked. Have yet to get barreled on it though, was mostly surfing it in powerful, but not exactly hollow points.
that is sick! I always ride much smaller fins then my normal quads in my MP. I even use some JJF Smalls for fronts and then a 4'' upright set of trailers. Makes the boards work much as you describe!

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

That looks fun!!
The most basic differences between Ghost and MP
MP has bit less tail rocker and a fair bit more entry rocker (even though the beak makes it look flatter)
MP has narrower back 1/2 and a tiny bit wider nose .
both have similar bottom contours.
Overall I would just say that the MP feels a bit more "gunny" than the Ghost at same size.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
You're a good man, Jon. Thanks a lot.

"Overall I would just say that the MP feels a bit more "gunny" than the Ghost at same size." And that is exactly the kind of info I was after. A longer Ghost it is.

Last edited:

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
That looks fun!!
The most basic differences between Ghost and MP
MP has bit less tail rocker and a fair bit more entry rocker (even though the beak makes it look flatter)
MP has narrower back 1/2 and a tiny bit wider nose .
both have similar bottom contours.
Overall I would just say that the MP feels a bit more "gunny" than the Ghost at same size.
Really cool for you to chime in here and on this design forum in general.
Even if it's not really u, but chatGPT or whatever ;) it's still making lots of sense!
"Magic 8 ball... which fins should I use in my mini padillac???"...
Feels like that sometimes to us civilians lost in the weeds....
Thanks for the clarification and guidance!

Last edited:
Reactions: urchined and Maz

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Really cool for you to chime in here and on this design forum in general.
Even if it's not really u, but chatGPT or whatever ;) it's still making lots of sense!
"Magic 8 ball... which fins should I use in my mini padillac???"...
Feels like that sometimes to us civilians lost in the weeds....
Thanks for the clarification and guidance!
Haha! You guys and your fin questions!!! There is no concise answer to that since everyone is different size/weight/ability/tastes. It's like asking what is the best kind of ice cream! If there is one bit of advice I could give it is ride smaller fins than you would in a smaller wave quad, since you will most likely be in bigger, faster waves and you want the boards to be loose, not tight