Pyzel Ghost?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Aruka said:
Maz said:
Aruka said:
Hey maz, any chance you could get nose/tail width measurements off your Ghost? I'm tempted to order one of these but would probably have to go custom.
Hey bud
No problem, except I'm in Europe at the mo, so won't be until late April :-/
My guess would be 12 1/4" nose, 14 1/4" tail. WP right at centre, or maybe an inch ahead. Very foiled tail.
This of course just a wild guess at 20000 km distance.
JJFs 6'2 went quite well, wouldn't you say?!?!
Haha, yeah it went for him alright I reckon!

Those numbers sound good.

Hey bud.

Sorry for the delay, but forgot all about those measurements. Life and all that...

Anyhoo, I wasn't far off. Nose is 12 1/2", tail 14 1/4", on my stock 6'3 x 20".

Aug 16, 2012
Have a stock 6'2 coming soon. What fins are recommended for the ghost? Will be future box

I'm 6ft 180 will ride in East coast hurricane surf/Puerto Rico/Central America.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
That Ghost was looking really good under JJF's feet at Jbay. Handled some of the smaller, inside waves better than I thought it would have. Entry rocker was surprisingly low, from the looks of it.

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
Feels fantastic under arm and I would have walked away with a 6'1 if they had stock at Pyzel. The 6'2 felt like a boat and the 6'0 would be sick if I was surfing on the North Shore all the time. It's got a fantastic foil. Shape is to die for.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
nat_blvd said:
Have a stock 6'2 coming soon. What fins are recommended for the ghost? Will be future box

I'm 6ft 180 will ride in East coast hurricane surf/Puerto Rico/Central America.
Hey mate,

I'm a little taller and ride the 6'3. Frontside I like medium AM thruster. Backhand, medium AM quad. With such a narrow tail, I'm not sure you need bigger fins, but I will give AM Large a go.

Good luck with yours. It is a magic board.

Oh, and DroppingOn. It feels boaty under the arm but doesn't surf like it at all. All the meat is in the middle, and the rails and tail are so finely foiled that it rides like a skinnier board.

Aug 16, 2012
Thanks Maz for the fin suggestion and reassurance. I was between the 6'1 and 6'2" and was steered towards the larger volume by the shop I ordered from

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Maz said:
Aruka said:
Maz said:
Aruka said:
Hey maz, any chance you could get nose/tail width measurements off your Ghost? I'm tempted to order one of these but would probably have to go custom.
Hey bud
My guess would be 12 1/4" nose, 14 1/4" tail. WP right at centre, or maybe an inch ahead. Very foiled tail.

Hey bud.

Sorry for the delay, but forgot all about those measurements. Life and all that...

That's one narrow tail.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
kool-aid said:
Maz said:
Aruka said:
Maz said:
Aruka said:
Hey bud

Hey bud.

That's one narrow tail.
For a 6' 3" a bit narrow for HPSB, but not "extremely narrow". For a 6' 3" step up maybe on the narrow end of the step up range, but not very narrow. As I mentioned in a previous post, this board seems to be aimed at the step up wave range and the only slightly unusual thing is the width of 20" which is rather wide for step up. So my assessment was that there are a number of features that keep the 20" width under control (tail concaves) as a step up and a tail on the narrow side of the normal range is one of them. However, thats just my personal assessment, everyone has their own normal ranges.

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
Jon, make a step down version with a thumb tail for weaker normal person waves! Fuller rails, thumb tail - Pyzel Phantom?

guilhermelv

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 4, 2010
DroppingOn said:
Jon, make a step down version with a thumb tail for weaker normal person waves! Fuller rails, thumb tail - Pyzel Phantom?
Short Cut - the rails are still foiled though...
Maybe the Nugget?

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
gui said:
DroppingOn said:
Short Cut - the rails are still foiled though...
Maybe the Nugget?
Short cut isn't really a step down though. Nugget round tail I suppose if you got it stretched out a tiny bit could be comparable to a QK, Meat cleaver etc. It felt a fair bit less performance when I fondled one but it was a nice board. Very wide nose. If you got one "sported" up a bit it could be that I suppose!

guilhermelv

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 4, 2010
Yeah I felt the same way about the Nugget - specially the nose.
Maybe a blend of them would be the call :shrug:

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
The Phantom sounds just right. Sign me up.
I have a 5'10 Nugget swallow, and it's a completely different beast; fat, chunky rails, wide nose. It's my groveler to ok waves bort.

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
I've been eying the ghost for a little while. After recently snapping a board, I think it's time. Would a 6'2 stock be appropriate for me (6'2, 165-170 pounds, 22 y/o)?

Need a board for barreling beach break (overhead+, longer period & meaty) with an occasional wall for longer drawn out turns, i think this is the one?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
shakajawea said:
I've been eying the ghost for a little while. After recently snapping a board, I think it's time. Would a 6'2 stock be appropriate for me (6'2, 165-170 pounds, 22 y/o)?

Need a board for barreling beach break (overhead+, longer period & meaty) with an occasional wall for longer drawn out turns, i think this is the one?
Sounds very reasonable to me. I'm an inch shorter, 5 pounds heavier, and 31 years older (ahem, cough!) and on a 6'3. I don't often get to surf good beach break waves, but it goes great in unpredictable and powerful reefs.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Happy update.

After the most dismal winter of surf in Wellington's history, surfing my nugget 95% of the time, and my Byrning Spears deep six on the few good days, I finally had a good surf at my local yesterday on the Ghost.

15kt onshore at first, but a powerful swell, and waves very peeling nicely down the point/reef. The Ghost felt so fast and responsive, full of sizzle and with none of the small sweet spot issues I had riding it one day as a quad. It picked up speed instantly, and I felt I could move quite a bit up and down the board and still feel in the right place.

Put your foot on the pad and the thing turns very hard. Whoa.

Next step is Indo in a week's time. High hopes

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Hope you score, Maz.

Just listened to the Surf Splendor podcast with Pyzel. It made me want to ride some of his boards.