Pyzel Ghost?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
wwhisperer said:
White Ghost 2.0

Is Pyzy going to bring back Cabell speed line theory?
Weren't Cabell's boards high nose rocker/low tail rocker downrailers? I can only hope to match his speed, but this is definitely a different animal :)

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Thing looks great. That nose rocker looks really gradual with very little flip although it could be the angle.

I would definitely like to try one.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi --- glad you guys are stoked on the looks of the Ghost! It's really an all-around good board, with more thought towards good/better waves and juice, but it still has a lot of performance feel to it as well. It definitely has a thinner rail for the thickness, to keep it sensitive, but the rolled deck and fuller front end keep all the good paddle power in there. I have been riding a couple different lengths here in Hawaii, a 6-1 and a 6-5 and have been really stoked on the extra paddle, plus they turn on a dime when you step your foot back onto the tail. I actually just made the first squash tail version of one for JJF, since he has really been liking his 6-0, 6-2 and 6-4 Ghosts that I made him recently. He rode the 6-2 during the Volcom pipe contest and did a few of the most impressive looking turns of the event --before he lost :( Don't be afraid to go thick on these, because they don't ride thick (in my opinion).

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Pyzel said:
Hi --- glad you guys are stoked on the looks of the Ghost! It's really an all-around good board, with more thought towards good/better waves and juice, but it still has a lot of performance feel to it as well. It definitely has a thinner rail for the thickness, to keep it sensitive, but the rolled deck and fuller front end keep all the good paddle power in there. I have been riding a couple different lengths here in Hawaii, a 6-1 and a 6-5 and have been really stoked on the extra paddle, plus they turn on a dime when you step your foot back onto the tail. I actually just made the first squash tail version of one for JJF, since he has really been liking his 6-0, 6-2 and 6-4 Ghosts that I made him recently. He rode the 6-2 during the Volcom pipe contest and did a few of the most impressive looking turns of the event --before he lost :( Don't be afraid to go thick on these, because they don't ride thick (in my opinion).
Cheers, Jon :cheers:
Hoping to baptise mine on Thursday in solid, down the line rights.
Re what you said about wider tails and shorter lengths, I was actually plotting a 6'1 swallow tail as a standard shortboard for non epic days at our reefs/points.

Dec 20, 2015
Hi Jon and everyone, how would this board differ from, say, a Lost Rock-Up? They seem similar in intent but I haven't seen a Ghost close-up to compare.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
chubbwubb said:
Hi Jon and everyone, how would this board differ from, say, a Lost Rock-Up? They seem similar in intent but I haven't seen a Ghost close-up to compare.
Not quite the Rock Up, but here are (in the comments section) some good photos for comparison with Lost Tube Pig and Lost Round Up:

http://www.realwatersports.com/surfing/surfboards/pyzel-surfboards/ghost

Dec 20, 2015
Maz said:
Not quite the Rock Up, but here are (in the comments section) some good photos for comparison with Lost Tube Pig and Lost Round Up:

http://www.realwatersports.com/surfing/surfboards/pyzel-surfboards/ghost
Thanks!

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
Thinking of getting one of these for well overhead hollow stuff. Riding 6'0 28.9L Pyzel 74 and a 5'11 Pyzalien 30L. I'm 6'0 175. I'm weirded out by how wide they are. Thinking the 6'1 should suit as a sort of step up? Or just dead on my normal volume at a 6'0. Anybody ridden one?

guilhermelv

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 4, 2010
Sick one Maz !
Whenever I retire my current step up I'm gonna probably order a Ghost :facelick:

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I don't know exactly what the Rock-up is like, only seen them in photos. I don't try to copy any other people's boards, but I do see that many of us shapers are thinking along similar lines with the designs we come up with.

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
Reply much appreciated from the man himself! Love your boards. Try others but always seem to be back on a Pyzel - they just work. I'd love to order a custom and maybe will but probably would go stock for now. I'm sure you did the stock dims for good reason! What would you recommend for reef and beachies overhead to 2.5x overhead out of the stock boards based on my current quiver and weight? Cheers!

Dec 20, 2015
Pyzel said:
I don't know exactly what the Rock-up is like, only seen them in photos. I don't try to copy any other people's boards, but I do see that many of us shapers are thinking along similar lines with the designs we come up with.
No worries, Jon, thanks for the reply! I do have a Rock-Up (original version with the more pulled-in tail, 6'0, thick and flat deck, tapered rails, low entry) that is basically a bit too "gunny" so I was shopping around for something just a bit looser for the waves I can ride. Ghost looks pretty sweet... I'll head down to Santa Cruz soon and see if I can check one out!

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
FWIW, do not fear volume or width on the Ghost.

I can't yet do a proper review, as I only got three pathetic waves on it this morning, but I was so desperate to feel it out.

Mine is a stock 6'3 (34.??L), and it somehow feels lower volume than my 6'0 Pyzalien (32.5L). Paddled into waves easily, though.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Maz said:

I can't yet do a proper review, as I only got three pathetic waves on it this morning, but I was so desperate to feel it out.

Mine is a stock 6'3 (34.??L), and it somehow feels lower volume than my 6'0 Pyzalien (32.5L). Paddled into waves easily, though.
The Pyzalien has a super full rail for it's thickness and the Ghost has a pretty slim rail relative to center thickness of board to help keep it bitey and sensitive in faster moving waves.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
DroppingOn said:
Reply much appreciated from the man himself! Love your boards. Try others but always seem to be back on a Pyzel - they just work. I'd love to order a custom and maybe will but probably would go stock for now. I'm sure you did the stock dims for good reason! What would you recommend for reef and beachies overhead to 2.5x overhead out of the stock boards based on my current quiver and weight? Cheers!
Good to hear the boards work well :)
I think you would be good with the stock 6'1'' or 6'2'' , or order a custom if you are scared of the width. I like a narrower board myself, so I get it, but I also don't know what your normal board widths are.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Pyzel said:
Maz said:

The Pyzalien has a super full rail for it's thickness and the Ghost has a pretty slim rail relative to center thickness of board to help keep it bitey and sensitive in faster moving waves.
Yep, and just to clarify, I wasn't complaining about a lack of buoyancy, just trying to explain the different feel. I find that stubby boards feel corky and can be dunked for no paddle take offs, while more refined boards of similar volume react so differently.

The Ghost felt silky and smooth, and seemed to be a good paddler. Waiting for proper waves.