Pyzel Ghost?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Quick update: I may be falling in love with my Ghost.

I've now surfed it 5 or 6 times in solid but messy waves; well overhead to near 2xHH with lots of grunt, but onshore.
Sticks late take offs, holds in solidly off the bottom, carves smoothly and squarely off the top. Silky and smooth still comes to mind. Feels very similar to my Bourton Reef Swallow - and that's a good thing.

Have ridden it as a thruster with medium AMs, but will try it as a quad when I get cleaner waves. Btw, what quad rears would complement my AMs? Carvers?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Another update:
Finally surfed the Ghost in proper waves, bigger than I thought it would handle, actually.

I'm so much better on my forehand than backhand (and I'm not great on my forehand), but today was a solo session in 12ft++ faces at a very ledgy left point, an hour from any help/civilisation. I was surfing very conservatively, intent on making all my waves and not get caught inside, as the place is littered with rock pinnacles.

The Ghost got me into the waves so smoothly and easily, and held solidly off the bottom even when my feet were too far forward. I rode it as a quad, with down the line speed being a good thing; this waves throws out some mammoth sections. I never got to go square off the bottom or straight up, but did some long, fast bottom turns and pretty hard carves off the top. The board felt great.

I may have pushed the size envelope a little on the Ghost today, but most definitely not the performance envelope :)

For now, we're very good friends, but more to come.

Reactions: SlowGuy

pssbrah

OTF status
Mar 9, 2017
Maz said:
Another update:
Finally surfed the Ghost in proper waves, bigger than I thought it would handle, actually.

I'm so much better on my forehand than backhand (and I'm not great on my forehand), but today was a solo session in 12ft++ faces at a very ledgy left point, an hour from any help/civilisation. I was surfing very conservatively, intent on making all my waves and not get caught inside, as the place is littered with rock pinnacles.

The Ghost got me into the waves so smoothly and easily, and held solidly off the bottom even when my feet were too far forward. I rode it as a quad, with down the line speed being a good thing; this waves throws out some mammoth sections. I never got to go square off the bottom or straight up, but did some long, fast bottom turns and pretty hard carves off the top. The board felt great.

I may have pushed the size envelope a little on the Ghost today, but most definitely not the performance envelope :)

That sounds sick. I still cant decide if I want a compact step up or traditional.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Maz said:
Another update:

Yeah Maz :jam_on:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Maz said:
Another update:

I'm so much better on my forehand than backhand (and I'm not great on my forehand), but today was a solo session in 12ft++ faces at a very ledgy left point, an hour from any help/civilisation. ... .
Sounds great Maz :jam_on: if a little hairy!

Is your board the standard advertised dims on the pyzel au site? i.e 6' 3" x 20" x 2 3/4"

My armchair assessment of those dims is that on a shortboard 20" would normally be pushing the limits of a single concave to remain stable in juice, but your height of 6' 1" means what is wide to me is more manageable to you, plus the ghost has a narrow tail which would help stability and the double concave in the tail will help a little too. So I guess paddling in to the beasts on a shortboard would be the main challenge rather than the stability when riding? 2 3/4" is a sensible thickness for handling step up conditions. By stability I mean not throwing the rider around while travelling at high speed over the inevitable bumps which always occur in juice even in good wind conditions.

guilhermelv

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 4, 2010
Sounds great Maz! :cheers:
Thats about the same wave range I've ridden my Short Cut and at the time I was also surprised by how well the board worked. Jon is the man :jam_on:

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Mr J, those were my (slight) fears as well, but it is a relatively shallow single which crucially goes into a double through the fins.

Mine is a stock 6'3. I thought of going slightly narrower, but two things held me off: Jon probably knows his design best, and it could have meant a longer turnaround time. And yes, with my reasonable height and huge feet I have good leverage and generally like boards around 19.5 to 20".

Really, the only thing not thoroughbred step up about the Ghost is the slight extra width. Rails are very low, the tail is pulled in, and it is nicely (aggressively?) foiled. It feels less buoyant than my 6'0 Pyzalien, as all the volume is concentrated around its core. Rails feel like they belong on a 2 3/8".

And Gui, you're right. Jon definitely knows what he's doing.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Maz, how far up the board does the double go? Also Tanner described it as a double inside a single which means if a straight edge was placed across the double region of the board, the straight edge would rest on edges with a bit of a gap between the straight edge and the stringer? Is this the situation on your board?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Well, it's not all beer and skittles. I had a reality check this afternoon on the Ghost - a total shocker.

Raced out after work on a very high tide (not good) and a dropping swell, hoping to just catch a few nice rights at my local. Very clean conditions, and I was dying to do a few good bottom turns and a layback hacks. First wave was good, but my timing felt a bit off. The rest I surfed like a complete kook, and the board felt like it had a sweet spot the size of a pinhead.

I was surfing it as a quad again - AM medium fronts and plastic Performer rears. This combo went like a dream on big lefts, but not today. That day I felt like I could stand pretty much wherever and the board would still drive and turn, while today I couldn't do anything right.

I hope and think that it was just me being useless - the glorious life of a middle aged kook - but will try it again as a thruster when I next get the chance in good rights. If any of you have some good quad rear suggestions to go with the AM fronts, please do pipe up.

Mr J, FYI the stringer is about 3mm low in front of front fins, and maybe 1mm in front of rears, then double to very shallow spiral vee. The inset double starts a good ways in front of front fins.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Maz said:
Mr J, FYI the stringer is about 3mm low in front of front fins, and maybe 1mm in front of rears, then double to very shallow spiral vee. The inset double starts a good ways in front of front fins.
That goes a long way to explain why it works well as a step up despite its width and the simple advertised description of single to double. There is actually more going on than "single to double". Double inside single gives a reactive concaved board with more stability than a single concave or a single to double where the double is mainly in the fin area. The CI Flyer II was a double inside single and handled good size despite moderate width.

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
Maz said:
Well, it's not all beer and skittles. I had a reality check this afternoon on the Ghost - a total shocker.

Raced out after work on a very high tide (not good) and a dropping swell, hoping to just catch a few nice rights at my local. Very clean conditions, and I was dying to do a few good bottom turns and a layback hacks. First wave was good, but my timing felt a bit off. The rest I surfed like a complete kook, and the board felt like it had a sweet spot the size of a pinhead.

I was surfing it as a quad again - AM medium fronts and plastic Performer rears. This combo went like a dream on big lefts, but not today. That day I felt like I could stand pretty much wherever and the board would still drive and turn, while today I couldn't do anything right.

I hope and think that it was just me being useless - the glorious life of a middle aged kook - but will try it again as a thruster when I next get the chance in good rights. If any of you have some good quad rear suggestions to go with the AM fronts, please do pipe up.

I've had this happen before. I dare say it could be the waves. Sometimes a board feels like banging the hottest chick you could ever imagine, and sometimes it's like being inside a diseased transvestite hooker - in reality it might just be an uncomfortable bed.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Greg Griffin said:
"shallow spiral vee"

What is "Spiral" about a double concave ?

Is this a typical "Buzzword" that Parmenter mentions in his article ?
Fwiw, how I understand the terminology: double concave - stringer lower than or same height as rails. Spiral vee - concave vee panels, the stringer sitting proud of rails. How are these things described in the GG universe?

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Mctavish used this term to describe the transition of wide roll to narrow Vee in his boards

"A Spiral effect " is what he said

And it truly was . Wide curve spiraling down to a small curve - Vee

There is nothing 'Spiral" in double concaves but the term has been used for them for a very long time .

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Hey maz, any chance you could get nose/tail width measurements off your Ghost? I'm tempted to order one of these but would probably have to go custom.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Aruka said:
Hey maz, any chance you could get nose/tail width measurements off your Ghost? I'm tempted to order one of these but would probably have to go custom.
Hey bud
No problem, except I'm in Europe at the mo, so won't be until late April :-/
My guess would be 12 1/4" nose, 14 1/4" tail. WP right at centre, or maybe an inch ahead. Very foiled tail.
This of course just a wild guess at 20000 km distance.
JJFs 6'2 went quite well, wouldn't you say?!?!

wwhisperer

Nep status
Mar 8, 2012
If you missed it...
Commentary is a bit cheesy
62 Ghost
R3H6
http://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/244837/drug-aware-margaret-river-pro-round-three-heat-6
R4H2
http://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/244950/drug-aware-margaret-river-pro-round-four-heat-2

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
wwhisperer said:
If you missed it...
Commentary is a bit cheesy
62 Ghost
R3H6
http://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/244837/drug-aware-margaret-river-pro-round-three-heat-6
R4H2
http://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/244950/drug-aware-margaret-river-pro-round-four-heat-2
Thanks! had missed it and this saves me searching. Also on youtube https://youtu.be/RbdwTvlIYNc

It's a surf comp and not a surf art film with music, so I found the commentary did add to it.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Maz said:
Aruka said:
Hey bud
No problem, except I'm in Europe at the mo, so won't be until late April :-/
My guess would be 12 1/4" nose, 14 1/4" tail. WP right at centre, or maybe an inch ahead. Very foiled tail.
This of course just a wild guess at 20000 km distance.
JJFs 6'2 went quite well, wouldn't you say?!?!
Haha, yeah it went for him alright I reckon!

Those numbers sound good.