Protesting Contests at Your Local

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
That video came out during the pre social media internet outrage days.

You can bet there would be serious consequences to something like that in today's world where people freak out over viral videos. Sponsors aren't cool with people on the payroll beating up helpless people. Surfing is tame in today's smart phone world.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
That video came out during the pre social media internet outrage days.

You can bet there would be serious consequences to something like that in today's world where people freak out over viral videos. Sponsors aren't cool with people on the payroll beating up helpless people. Surfing is tame in today's smart phone world.
Solid truth right there. Nowadays it would be all over the news with random celebrities twitter feeds decrying it to tune of headlines of "Chrissy Teigen claps back at WSL" or similar BS.

Plus, if Instagram was around then, everyone would have encouraged Kala to keep up the beating so they had time to take multiple selfies (one pose just isn't enough) with that in the background.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I think fighting is a lot less prevalent now on the North Shore. No one wants to get charged with a serious crime.

Look at the guy who dunked a kid at V-Land a few years back and got charged with murder. I think the charges were dropped. But, do you want to be the guy who has a murder charge associated with your name when someone googles you?

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
We have SEAL Team 6 here. Kind of a good idea (and a good general rule) not to phuck with anyone in the water, bc you just don't know who they are and what they know. Kala wouldn't last long . . . Swim Test!

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
There are two retired SEAL team guys on the North Shore now, and a few Army Rangers. You would probably have to spit in their face to get them to fight you.I have a feeling they know full well that when that switch flips, it doesn't flip back easy.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
As my local is usually the most shapely (and oftentimes the only) rideable wave for twenty miles in either direction, it's the preferred contest/event venue for every burgeoning surf charity, t-shirt vendor, cause, etc. It's besieged with surf parents screaming at kids from the shorebreak at least once a month year-round, and every weekend from July-October. This certainly isn't the highest and best use of a highly trafficked public resource, but the recreational surfer has no voice. I hate sounding like a curmudgeon, but jeez, when's enough enough?

Anyone ever staged a protest to take a break back? I really need to move, but poor life choices mean I'm stuck here for another 5 years at least.
Go to your city council.
Put together your argument for why this city/county/state resource needs to be accessible to all, not just those who pay to play. Most cities with popular contest sites have some sort of regulations on frequency of events, but "I want to surf MY spot when I want to" probably won't be sufficient.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
...This certainly isn't the highest and best use of a highly trafficked public resource, but the recreational surfer has no voice. I hate sounding like a curmudgeon, but jeez, when's enough enough? ...
Work with your local county and establish ground rules. This is what Peter Cole and the Surfrider Foundation did for the North Shore of Oahu. I know, mostly pro contests, but got some decent ideas.
North Shore surf contest rules

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
As my local is usually the most shapely (and oftentimes the only) rideable wave for twenty miles in either direction, it's the preferred contest/event venue

Our own erBB charger, Truth, after traveling far to his new remote slice of paradise, currently has to contend with a several day WSL event. Saw it LIVE on Youtube yesterday. Would like to hear his thoughts.

Last edited:

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
How should we react when the "go fund me" pledge drive comes for the North Shore enforcers later in life. "Save the wolfpack because somebody has an aneurysm from too much meth and needs our help"

Spend your days laying around a beach, "protecting" a reef that is doing fine on its own.

How robust do you think their 401k are?

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
When your county/city govt issues a paid for permit??? Pleasure Point Santa Cruz. There is a contest permit almost every week these days.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Contests here are all county approved. Permit process. Environmental impact. Money.

Grease the appropriate palms.

Oct 29, 2012
The reason there is no more Mavericks is that the organizers couldn't figure out how to make money off it. Every surf contest is essentially a business activity. There are organizers and operators who aim to make money off of it. And of course, if it's a pro contest, the pros make money off it. Amateur contests? Farm teams for pro contests.

In Santa Cruz, the application form that must be submitted to Parks and Rec says right on it that the permit gives the holder the right to control access to the contest area on land, but not in the water. Organizers put up misleading signs at the access points to try to keep non contestants from entering the water, but they're bogus and toothless.

One of the worst aspects of surf contest culture I've ever seen is the Wednesday middle school and high school surf team practice sessions at Steamer Lane. The kids get their heads filled with delusions of entitlement. Training grounds for drop-ins.

The one good thing about contests is that it gathers all the contest types in one location for a day or two. And that's the best thing about the pro tour. It takes the pro-quality surfers out of local lineups and sends them off to haunt lineups around the world for much of the year.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
When your county/city govt issues a paid for permit??? Pleasure Point Santa Cruz. There is a contest permit almost every week these days.

The East Side has rules about when you can have events at the point and how often. No back to back days at one spot, for instance.

If the system isn't working for you, gather support and go tell your reps what would be better.

Or.

Cry on a message board. I heard that it's helpful