Protesting Contests at Your Local

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Years ago, there was a ‘club’ contest at Cardiff Reef that began with the lot being closed from Friday through Sunday (except for those who arrived before first light). No passes were required, no paid parking stubs required. The Swami’s Club got a beach only pass by the State and held their contest. Some of the locals surfed just North of Suck Outs and Suck Outs which is long board unfriendly. There was a lot of noise by the announcer and suggestions that ‘unauthorized’ surfers be run out of the water. Long story short, complaints were filed by a number of parents and adult surfers as to the perceived misconduct by the contest organizers to include threats, etc. All future Swami’s contests required they pay for the privilege of having the water included in their application (required additional lifeguards, a jet ski, etc., and severely restricted the contestants to waves South of Suck Outs at a substantial additional cost to the clubs. Swami’s Club thought it was ‘no problem’ to hold their contests at Cardiff Reef rather than the Swami’s break... not so much. Locals got their breaks back for a few years.
Good story, luckily the waves are usually knee high for their event.

Bout 10+ years ago, they had the contest and the waves were DOH. I paddled during the final snagged a few, but let the contestants have theirs. After the heat was over, the paddle relay contest started. I got cut off by three paddlers on one wave, I took em all out. The best was taking out the Cardiff Club guy. Those knuckleheads didn't ask me to be on their team. :whistle:

Two years ago, NSSA had some sort of makeup event at Ponto. They had no permit, but managed to get the lifeguards on jetskis involved. I heard about big issues on the beach, they threatened to arrest me. The one wave i caught was SOOOO good though. I had waited through two heats, the kid was gonna jump me, but I know how to stop that with a strong bottom turn to board in the face. Lol, he didn't go. The announcer was super pissed off, that's when the threats started.

Last year, they had three contests at Seaside, somehow occuring on the best three swells of the fall. I'm with Ranga, these things suck!

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
One of the worst aspects of surf contest culture I've ever seen is the Wednesday middle school and high school surf team practice sessions at Steamer Lane. The kids get their heads filled with delusions of entitlement. Training grounds for drop-ins.
That crap ruined dawn patrols for me.