Pros who were "Cancelled"

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I ran into Sage Ericson in the Emma Wood upper lot one afternoon checking the surf. She said she wasn't allowed to surf the Rincon Classic because WSL would let her. Meanwhile Connor, Killian etc are winning the event year after year. It doesn't make too much sense.
The IPS/APS/WSL and the ISA are about control. They don’t want their top athletes diluting the brand by surfing non-sanctioned events. I was pleasantly surprised WSL let John surf the Da Hui Backdoor Shootout. They haven’t in the past. Be interesting to see if they’ll allow John and Kelly to surf the next time the Eddie runs.

Don’t know crap about golf but it seems older surfers do it. The PGA and that new organization backed by Saudi oil money seem to be having that issue.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The IPS/APS/WSL and the ISA are about control. They don’t want their top athletes diluting the brand by surfing non-sanctioned events. I was pleasantly surprised WSL let John surf the Da Hui Backdoor Shootout. They haven’t in the past. Be interesting to see if they’ll allow John and Kelly to surf the next time the Eddie runs.

Don’t know crap about golf but it seems older surfers do it. The PGA and that new organization backed by Saudi oil money seem to be having that issue.
The suits have done this to every pro sports league.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Zekely always acted like a rich kid, over claiming kook. The "national champ" in his ig bio is hilarious. I realized he was very monied a few months ago when Parker Coffin posted from some plush La Jolla joint with him and saw the retreat, early in on La Jolla real estate, deal.. His STAB "I surf with a probation ankle bracelet" schtick was just enough of a draw to get him going on this whole "J.O.B. Poopie crap". Jamie Obrien always got a pass because of his undeniable talent. This guy just does airs in little waves.

Conner and Parker seem like alright guys considering their Oprah & Prince Harry Markle, trips to Tavi since they were in diapers, zip code.

Reactions: menobrah

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
At the time, not pros.
Gerlach was "doing business under the Huntington pier" and was cancelled by the NSSA, worked out pretty good for him.

Then the two guys with fake grades, Ted Robinson and Kelly Gibson? They also seemed to do better without NSSA.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Senor Sopa was implying that Gerr was slinging sacks under the pier as a kid.
Casa mistook "under the pier" as gay talk.

Davo had a problem with the drink

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
zeke :applause2:

love the fact that he is balding rapidly

:roflmao:

It's pretty funny. I actually watch some of his vids cause it's so cheese dick. Like a 15 year old kid from the 909 made surf videos. Pretty classic that the other dudes in the stab highway just make fun of him.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Sounds about right. Guy is seen as so entitled.

I met a CPA a couple months ago whose firm works with a lot of wealthy San Diego families. Was pretty interesting. He said they notice the 2nd generation usually does alright with the money and if not building the fortune, at least maintaining it. The problems usually come with the 3rd generation who squander it with unchecked spending, and terrible investments / business opportunities. He said it’s amazing how quickly they can blow what took the grandparents so long to build up.
I see this all the time with family owned rep firms. Grandpa worked to the grave building up a solid business. Son/Daughter does a good job continuing the growth. 75% of the time, this is where the wheels fall off. Either the grandchild could care less about the business and views it as a never ending cash register or is too lazy to put in the work and sells out to highest bidder. That 25% that successfully carries on the family tradition is a rare breed and usually great to work with.

Reactions: grapedrink