Political Meme Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
From someone who lived up in a smorgasbond of insane surf and didn't paddle out once... talk about fleeing! :roflmao:
I checked back through your Community Surf Journal updates and it looks like you're scoring almost daily. Sonoma County is practically Santa Cruz with its combination of conditions and structured breaks - truly the best-kept secret in California. Moving up there was definitely the right decision for you to make. Conversely, I almost daily regret my decision to move out of there back down to SoCal. Now I can't get out of bed without a line of cocaine and when I look in the mirror, my eyes look vacant and hopeless. My wife is thinking of leaving me and taking the kids. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous of you - insanely jealous.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Who said anything about secret? It is damn good though and you were a fool.

Keep getting backpaddled by 11 year olds. :waving:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I checked back through your Community Surf Journal updates and it looks like you're scoring almost daily. Sonoma County is practically Santa Cruz with its combination of conditions and structured breaks - truly the best-kept secret in California. Moving up there was definitely the right decision for you to make. Conversely, I almost daily regret my decision to move out of there back down to SoCal. Now I can't get out of bed without a line of cocaine and when I look in the mirror, my eyes look vacant and hopeless. My wife is thinking of leaving me and taking the kids. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous of you - insanely jealous.
I can't think of any pointbreaks anywhere near the level of PP or Steamer Lane in Sonoma County, but definitely some good reefs.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Shoulder was fucked up for the last 3 months.

Better now and fall is coming.

Orson Welles is surfing more than ifallalot these days.
Understood. We saw a lot of you in the journal during the first two months of this CY then not much after that - you mentioned your shoulder, wind, and little league.

Since it matters to you and you’ve had a year of experience up there, what reasons would a church-going guy with three young kids, a wife, and a demanding private sector STEM job with international travel have for not making the 45 minute drive over to an exposed, notoriously fickle coast after giving it several tries?

BTW there are almost no black people in Sonoma County, much like Orange County. Actually a black guy moved into my neighborhood but he contributed to negative stereotypes because he had violent felony convictions and was an interstate marijuana trafficker.

Anyways, Glad you’re enjoying it so much up there - you seem like a perfect fit for the place and it has its charms for te right type of person.:waving:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Understood. We saw a lot of you in the journal during the first two months of this CY then not much after that - you mentioned your shoulder, wind, and little league.

Since it matters to you and you’ve had a year of experience up there, what reasons would a church-going guy with three young kids, a wife, and a demanding private sector STEM job with international travel have for not making the 45 minute drive over to an exposed, notoriously fickle coast after giving it several tries?

BTW there are almost no black people in Sonoma County, much like Orange County. Actually a black guy moved into my neighborhood but he contributed to negative stereotypes because he had violent felony convictions and was an interstate marijuana trafficker.

Anyways, Glad you’re enjoying it so much up there - you seem like a perfect fit for the place and it has its charms for te right type of person.:waving:
Actually 2 years now. Spring started early this year compared to last - pity. But the preceding fall/winter more than made up for it with waves better than pretty much anything SoCal has offered anywhere in the last 30+ years (90s Star Bar excepted) with generally no more than a handful of people spread out.

Your parameters really aren't that different from mine. It's just a matter of prioritization and commitment, knowing when conditions are good, and to surf not even once up here is hard to wrap one's head around (it sounds like you were fleeing). It's like people who move to Summit County, CO and don't ski/snowboard. Winds are fickle but waves are almost always holding day in day out, maybe too much so at times. On weekends, go early, come back early, and you have the whole rest of the day. Or during the week when you know it's going to be good, take a couple hours off work in the morning, dawn patrol, and be back by 9. Not hard and you can do same on weekends;. You're driving same timeframes if not longer in SoCal to get waves; I regularly drove the hour to Oxnard most of my surfing life so doesn't faze me. Drive is much nicer up here too. Redwoods > Concrete.

No traffic, lots of good Mexican food, chill vibes, kids are thriving, generally cooler weather, insanely better surf, closer snowboarding, less stress, yeah, it's one of the better decisions of my life. There's downsides to be sure but they don't even scrape the upsides.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Actually 2 years now. Spring started early this year compared to last - pity. But the preceding fall/winter more than made up for it with waves better than pretty much anything SoCal has offered anywhere in the last 30+ years (90s Star Bar excepted) with generally no more than a handful of people spread out.
There's definitely more juice up there.
Your parameters really aren't that different from mine.
You moved up there with a baby then had two more? You travel 25% internationally? Most of your surf journal entries are on Saturday or Sunday. Do you attend church on Sunday?
It's just a matter of prioritization and commitment, knowing when conditions are good, and to surf not even once up here is hard to wrap one's head around (it sounds like you were fleeing).
You assumed I never surfed but I did. After so many trips, it quickly fell off my list of priorities. Were surfing my first priority, I would've stayed where I was since I worked at a spot people try to sneak into before I moved up there. The career opportunity was >>> the surfing. I can't imagine failing to capitalize on it the way I did.

It's like people who move to Summit County, CO and don't ski/snowboard.
I could see if you said Santa Cruz. Most people in Sonoma County mountain bike for fun. There are very few surfers. The guys I know who grew up in Petaluma leave the county when they want to score. Most who stick with it up there really seem to embrace the "Man vs. the Sea" ethos. A lot of your posts describe wind, weather, and beatings. There is no question you are gnarlier than me.

Winds are fickle but waves are almost always holding day in day out, maybe too much so at times. On weekends, go early, come back early, and you have the whole rest of the day. Or during the week when you know it's going to be good, take a couple hours off work in the morning, dawn patrol, and be back by 9. Not hard and you can do same on weekends;. You're driving same timeframes if not longer in SoCal to get waves; I regularly drove the hour to Oxnard most of my surfing life so doesn't faze me. Drive is much nicer up here too. Redwoods > Concrete.
I've never driven this far. It's always been less than half an hour, usually less than 15 minutes. I couldn't handle this carbon footprint. Seething rn:

No traffic, lots of good Mexican food, chill vibes, kids are thriving, generally cooler weather, insanely better surf, closer snowboarding, less stress, yeah, it's one of the better decisions of my life. There's downsides to be sure but they don't even scrape the upsides.
(y)

Back to memes (we hit paydirt today):

Last edited:
Reactions: grapedrink

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
There's definitely more juice up there.
Good thing is that there is almost always a wave. Bad thing is that it can be too much of a good thing.

You moved up there with a baby then had two more? You travel 25% internationally? Most of your surf journal entries are on Saturday or Sunday. Do you attend church on Sunday?
Two young kids. Travel but only regional, not always near the coast. As far as Saturdays/Sundays, you're right; I should surf during the week more often. I still have 2 1/2 weeks of PTO, even after all that camping this summer. If rain tapers off enough, Tuesday morning could be fun.

Heavy pass on being shackled to the interior church. The one under the open sky feels better for the soul. Even so, you can make time if you want to. Tacit that hall passes come at a heavy price at times but these things can be swung, especially when in proper need of mental health breaks. To be noted that past certain age, you can't just not surf for 5 months and still retain surf muscle/cardio.

You assumed I never surfed but I did. After so many trips, it quickly fell off my list of priorities. Were surfing my first priority, I would've stayed where I was since I worked at a spot people try to sneak into before I moved up there. The career opportunity was >>> the surfing. I can't imagine failing to capitalize on it the way I did.
Nah, that was your statement before that you never surfed up here, which I found crazy/lame. But as you said, that was your priority. Mine is skewed more towards surfing and doing extensive outdoor family activities. Lot of other obligations but surfing remains; kids are gradually getting into it too which is even better.

I could see if you said Santa Cruz. Most people in Sonoma County mountain bike for fun. There are very few surfers. The guys I know who grew up in Petaluma leave the county when they want to score. Most who stick with it up there really seem to embrace the "Man vs. the Sea" ethos. A lot of your posts describe wind, weather, and beatings. There is no question you are gnarlier than me.
The lack of surfers is something I like. It's what I grew up with surfing Oxnard before it got overrun. I've been to Santa Cruz - way too hectic. The draw towards mountain biking is subtle but powerful. I feel it.

I am not taking your bait there. The ocean would only beat me harder.

I've never driven this far. It's always been less than half an hour, usually less than 15 minutes. I couldn't handle this carbon footprint.
I had a couple spots near my house but generally the trek north was on. B5F and his brothers were kind enough not to beat me up.

Reactions: grapedrink
Status
Not open for further replies.