Pipe lifeguard gives haole kooks a beat it order

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
.I'm sure everyone involved is a little more mature today.
It's hard to beat a lifeguard in a pissing match when they are on the job, but people try every day.
That's how we're built and conditioned

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
When I look at this stuff, I think about outcomes and methods.

Was he effective? Yes. The guys didn't go in the water.

Could he have been more efficient and still be effective? Yes.

Efficiency is important for longetivty.

In the short term, it don't matter.
Yea and the last part where he starts into the two guys after it’s already done is the issue

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I'm not going to speculate on this one but he could have just pointed up the beach towards Sunset and told them to go surf Monster Mush or Kammieland?
Or if he really wanted to eff them up go surf backyards or Velzy?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
CA has some really good lifeguards, especially places like Zuma. But if that went down in CA he'd probably get flamed on nexdoor by a bunch of morons and then fired or asked to "resign". That's the nice thing about that video. Nothing egregious, but it's his house and his rules.

Reactions: keenfish

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Which makes me think there’s more to the story…

Would love to see the full length video.
No doubt it plays out like a Greek tragedy, with the Apollonian and Dionysian drives, so different from each other, go side by side, mostly in open discord and opposition, always provoking each other to new, stronger births, in order to perpetuate in themselves the struggle of opposites which is only apparently bridged over by the common word 'art'; until, finally, by a wonderful act of Hellenic 'will,' they seem to pair up and in this pairing, at last, produce Attic Tragedy, which is as much a Dionysian as an Apollonian artwork.

• Haha

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
CA has some really good lifeguards, especially places like Zuma. But if that went down in CA he'd probably get flamed on nexdoor by a bunch of morons and then fired or asked to "resign". That's the nice thing about that video. Nothing egregious, but it's his house and his rules.
We should think about who’s going to want to serve the public in a panopticon in an era of cancel culture. As a public servant such as a cop or lifeguard, it seems much more likely to be punished in the court of public opinion and later by Karen the DA for doing something rather than not doing something. All the incentives point towards not intervening in a lot of cases. These jobs will therefore attract people who want to punch a clock and wait until incidents take care of themselves then mop up after the action is over.

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
We should think about who’s going to want to serve the public in a panopticon in an era of cancel culture. As a public servant such as a cop or lifeguard, it seems much more likely to be punished in the court of public opinion and later by Karen the DA for doing something rather than not doing something. All the incentives point towards not intervening in a lot of cases. These jobs will therefore attract people who want to punch a clock and wait until incidents take care of themselves then mop up after the action is over.
True, but this wont last forever. People are starting to get fed up with the nonsense. Even the liberal mayor of San Fransisco is refunding the police in an attempt to unfvck the situation there.
The silent majority is starting to speak up.

Reactions: PJ and keenfish

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I used to valet cars with that lifeguard 15-20 years ago. He's a mellow, humble guy, so for him to be talking combative like that, there has to be something that happened before. I was actually laughing the first time I saw that cause I've never heard him sound like that. Like @Firebird said, it sounds like they got warned already by another lifeguard or serious surfer and were gonna ignore it and go out any way. Or maybe they ignored his first warning. He probably snapped after seeing that and rode the ATV back down there to sound them. Kinda explains why it sounds personal too.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
True, but this wont last forever. People are starting to get fed up with the nonsense. Even the liberal mayor of San Fransisco is refunding the police in an attempt to unfvck the situation there.
The silent majority is starting to speak up.
I have a bunch of friends who are cops and deputies. Refunding is going to do jack. The damage is done.

Reactions: john4surf

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
I got sounded by the lifeguards at Pipeline once. I just ignored them, it was my second year in Hawaii. I just sat wide and enjoyed the show. I remember Ronnie Burns and a teenage Kainoa McGee getting the good ones. I did get one wave that pushed wide.

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
i was an accidental LG on the NS once - guy broke his arm and out he went
in the rip at Lanis....i went in and called 911 and the pro-LG's came and jet-ski
saved him. good thing cause he was foooked...:bricks:
I've assisted/rescued at least a dozen people on the North Shore over the past 30 years. Most were from the Laniakea or Jocko's area in the days before they had Lifeguard towers there. I probably should of helped the SUP guy this morning who broke his leash and was swimming in the rip. He wasn't requesting help so I went back to the line-up. A little while later a surfer came out a said that he was requesting a rescue from the other SUP guy.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Seems fine to me. I'd be mad too if i was the one who would have to go risk myself to save them.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
So many of these videos don't tell the whole story - I think the episode is usually at least halfway over by the time the camera bearer decides to start filming. I can't draw any conclusion from most of them.

Reactions: Chocki and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
So many of these videos don't tell the whole story - I think the episode is usually at least halfway over by the time the camera bearer decides to start filming. I can't draw any conclusion from most of them.
The physiognomy of the haoles tells the whole story.