Pipe lifeguard gives haole kooks a beat it order

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
If I'm following the dialogue correctly, these guys had already been told by another LG not to paddle out. If you've already been warned once and you disregarded the person who is responsible for your safety, it's naturally going the change the approach from the LG.
If that LG has to affect a rescue on those guys and increase his exposure to life threatening conditions because of their stupidity, he's justified in being terse. If for no other reason than to get their attention and encourage them to grasp the seriousness of the situation.
Besides choking them out, I'm not sure what else he could've done. You can try to convince them without triggering their egos by asking about their swimming ability and ocean experience, but who has time for that? It's not really the place for a socratic dialogue.

Also it's fun watching kooks get chewed. We should encourage this.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
True they didn't look pipeline ready, but that's no excuse for being a nazi dick. I would have gone out just to spite the dude. What is he gonna do, arrest you? :nana: On the other hand, I'm too over-the-hill and not pipe-ready myself.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I think he acted fine.

people understand when they are doing something wrong when tone matches the severity of a situation in a much better way vs being mr nice guy.

I deal with clueless people unknowingly walking themselves into very dangerous situations sometimes daily. You’d be surprised how a sharper response like the lifeguard gave deters the herd mentality to follow another into a dangerous situation.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I think he acted fine.

people understand when they are doing something wrong when tone matches the severity of a situation in a much better way vs being mr nice guy.

I deal with clueless people unknowingly walking themselves into very dangerous situations sometimes daily. You’d be surprised how a sharper response like the lifeguard gave deters the herd mentality to follow another into a dangerous situation.
The stern part fine.

It’s after when he starts lipping at the dudes which is what some are taking issue with

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
The stern part fine.

It’s after when he starts lipping at the dudes which is what some are taking issue with
It was hard to hear but sounds like kid was giving him lip back.

Their proper response should have been “yes sir”.

he walked in heated and them, being in the wrong, giving lip back does nothing to diffuse the situation.

if someone gave me lip when I was steering them out of a dangerous situation I would and have acted the same.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
True they didn't look pipeline ready, but that's no excuse for being a nazi dick. I would have gone out just to spite the dude. What is he gonna do, arrest you? :nana: On the other hand, I'm too over-the-hill and not pipe-ready myself.
What'll he do? Not save you. Actually, he still would since he'd get blamed for that too.

You can be stern and still do it in a tactful manner that makes others realize the severity of their actions.
He pwn3d 'em good. They were back-talking software developers. Don't make me have to come over there and teach you how to talk to them. It's not like he took their boards and broke them.

I'm stumped why you guys are taking the side of the Ho'ales (sp?) or whatever you call them.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
i was an accidental LG on the NS once - guy broke his arm and out he went
in the rip at Lanis....i went in and called 911 and the pro-LG's came and jet-ski
saved him. good thing cause he was foooked...:bricks:

• Wow
Reactions: GromsDad

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I'm stumped why you guys are taking the side of the Ho'ales (sp?) or whatever you call them.
Lifeguards are public servants. I guess I just expect them to be professional.

How would people feel if a Police or Firefighter spoke to someone that way?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
He was. Those haoles didn't know anything beyond typing. Neither looked like swimmers. Both were weaklings. One time, I saved a weakling who tried to fight me when I got him to the beach and asked him if he'd been drinking (he had been). You don't understand how weaklings act because you aren't one. This is what cops, firefighters, and the EMS have to deal with.

I'd feel pretty good. If you give respect, you get respect. You and I have no problems with this.

At the very least, this lifeguard should be given the benefit of the doubt.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location

You are required by law to obey the orders of a police officer or a firefighter. You are not required by law to obey the orders of a lifeguard.

Hawaii lifeguards, however, are the designated primary first responders for the shoreline to one mile out to sea. So if you get in trouble, they are required to make a reasonable attempt at a rescue. They take their jobs seriously. They are not going to watch you drown.

So when they tell you don’t go out and you ignore them, they get testy. They want to go home to their families too. So let’s give them as much room to get angry as, say, just hypothetically… you would if someone continually walked their dog past your house. ;)

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Long Beach lifeguards take the opposite approach. As soon as it’s chest high or bigger, civilians are only allowed into knee deep water and they enforce the hell out of it. Kind of draconian but I get it. People drown in Long Beach all year round, and it’s usually non swimmers who wade out onto the sandbar and then drown the minute their feet can’t touch sand.

Meanwhile, they allow the surfers to go out and surf good waves where they would otherwise be blackballed by the lifeguard zones. They understand the difference between a drunken out of shape moron nearly drowning in knee deep water versus surfers who, for the most part, are at least capable of staying afloat and not drowning in chest high surf. Of course this is no parallel to the pipeline incident. But our lifeguards do certainly pay attention even to the surfers once it gets overhead or bigger- they will not hesitate to tell beginners to not paddle out, and there are enough lieutenants around to back up any teenaged lifeguard getting sh!t from some entitled adult beginner who just bought a soft top at Unsound and can’t wait to go shred the hurricane swell he’s been following to try surfing for the first time

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You are required by law to obey the orders of a police officer or a firefighter. You are not required by law to obey the orders of a lifeguard.

Hawaii lifeguards, however, are the designated primary first responders for the shoreline to one mile out to sea. So if you get in trouble, they are required to make a reasonable attempt at a rescue. They take their jobs seriously. They are not going to watch you drown.

So when they tell you don’t go out and you ignore them, they get testy. They want to go home to their families too. So let’s give them as much room to get angry as, say, just hypothetically… you would if someone continually walked their dog past your house. ;)
Bingo.

Lifeguards also deal with cockpit resource mgmt. In other words, there were other people on the beach besides these two haoles. For all we know, 4 year old Jenny was just starting to be swept out into a rip while her mom selfies for her slore friends. This lifeguard, therefore, doesn't want a drawn-out explanation from these computer janitors about their thought process. He also doesn't want to be told "It's cool" like he was in the wrong. They should've just apologized which would've confirmed that they heard and understood him rather than back-talk him like ego-wounded dweebs.

Long Beach lifeguards take the opposite approach. As soon as it’s chest high or bigger, civilians are only allowed into knee deep water and they enforce the hell out of it. Kind of draconian but I get it. People drown in Long Beach all year round, and it’s usually non swimmers who wade out onto the sandbar and then drown the minute their feet can’t touch sand.
That's gay as hell. NY sounds like hell. I realize I'm in a glass house as a Californian.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009

Not in my old neighborhood. Ocean rescue always made their authority very clear to visitors:

ac.jpg

Reactions: PJ

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC

If I come in to your neighborhood to evacuate residents ahead of the fire front, and you decide that you're going to stay and attempt to protect your home with a garden hose in the face of 50' flame lengths, I'll feel 100% justified in letting you know how I feel about it when I have to come back in to your neighborhood to rescue you when things go to sh!t.
I'll still be professional, but my tone will escalate.
I made a professional evaluation based years of experience and training that the current conditions dictate it was no longer safe for you to stay. And now that things have become critical, my crew has to come back into your neighborhood to rescue you? After I've told you to evacuate? With the unpredictability of the fire behavior that has become much more threatening to me and my crew? We all have wives and kids expecting us to come home. I already executed my responsibility by advising you to evacuate. Now I have to take extraordinary measures to rescue you at the risk of my life and the lives of my crew members? We'll do it, but I reserve the right to let you know what a foolish decision you've made.

How is this situation any different?

After 24 years in the fire service, I'll still put myself in harm's way for the welfare of the public, but I'm looking to minimize risk. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If I have to light some kook up with a stern approach to avoid having to put my life at risk because they didn't listen the first time when I was being diplomatic.........I'll do it.
Good for this NS Lifeguard. He is a hero and a stud. Best of the best.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
They shouldn’t have needed to be told more than once. They shouldn’t have needed to be told the first time but kids these days...

I can see that job being as momentarily asshole puckering as anything on the planet.

Reactions: PRCD

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
If I come in to your neighborhood to evacuate residents ahead of the fire front, and you decide that you're going to stay and attempt to protect your home with a garden hose in the face of 50' flame lengths, I'll feel 100% justified in letting you know how I feel about it when I have to come back in to your neighborhood to rescue you when things go to sh!t.
I'll still be professional, but my tone will escalate.
I made a professional evaluation based years of experience and training that the current conditions dictate it was no longer safe for you to stay. And now that things have become critical, my crew has to come back into your neighborhood to rescue you? After I've told you to evacuate? With the unpredictability of the fire behavior that has become much more threatening to me and my crew? We all have wives and kids expecting us to come home. I already executed my responsibility by advising you to evacuate. Now I have to take extraordinary measures to rescue you at the risk of my life and the lives of my crew members? We'll do it, but I reserve the right to let you know what a foolish decision you've made.

How is this situation any different?

After 24 years in the fire service, I'll still put myself in harm's way for the welfare of the public, but I'm looking to minimize risk. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If I have to light some kook up with a stern approach to avoid having to put my life at risk because they didn't listen the first time when I was being diplomatic.........I'll do it.
Good for this NS Lifeguard. He is a hero and a stud. Best of the best.
doesn't refusing an evac order means you're on your own, by default? that there will be no one to come back for you, if things go south for you?

have chosen to disregard several GTFO orders over the years from imminent hurricanes and always did so with the understanding that there will be no emergency services available after last call.