Palm Springs Surf Club

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Oh jeez ..... this reminds me a lot of the early nineties when climbing gyms started ..... people complaining about having to pay to go climbing .... quality of the routes ... etc. etc. The biggest problem i ran into is encountering people who learned to climb in a gym venturing outdoors to a real climbing spot thinking the two were equivalent and they knew what they were doing. I can foresee the same thing eventually happening with wave pools .... people learn in the pool over time get bored and decide to head to a real surfing spot thinking they know everything they need to know. What could go wrong?
don't need to know how to duckdive in a pool...I remember there being an article about one of the guys who worked at Slaters Pool learning how to surf there and becoming a competent surfer. Wonder if he surfs in the ocean now?

Reactions: flyinraptr

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Oh jeez ..... this reminds me a lot of the early nineties when climbing gyms started ..... people complaining about having to pay to go climbing .... quality of the routes ... etc. etc. The biggest problem i ran into is encountering people who learned to climb in a gym venturing outdoors to a real climbing spot thinking the two were equivalent and they knew what they were doing. I can foresee the same thing eventually happening with wave pools .... people learn in the pool over time get bored and decide to head to a real surfing spot thinking they know everything they need to know. What could go wrong?
probably very little actually, provided they don’t just jump in at Pipe or something.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Alright we've established @menobrah is out - he has $5k to go to G-Land but not $500 for two hours in the pool, @casa_mugrienta is already going by himself and probably won't again, @CutnSnip is a probably, @silentbutdeadly is in, @ReForest is in, @Hdip is a maybe if he's not foiling, @Drumsurf is in

Also don't assume success on a chest-high wavepool barrel means you should paddle out at Pipe.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Alright we've established @Hdip is a maybe if he's not foiling,
HAH! true statement. I actually really love the idea of wavepools. The biggest problem with surfing is there aren't enough waves for the amount of surfers in the water. (why foiling is so appealing, I don't have to deal with surfers) But at $200 for an hour (and I have to take my son too remember) so now we're at $400. I'm basically priced out. Maybe it'll be cheaper next year in the summer. I do want to surf it.

Edit: Speaking of kids. Would you rather spend $400 to take kids to a wavepool for 1 hour, or Disneyland for all day? I don't understand the pricing of wavepools. (think about how kids view it, not how you an adult who hates crowds views it)

Reactions: Havoc

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
HAH! true statement. I actually really love the idea of wavepools. The biggest problem with surfing is there aren't enough waves for the amount of surfers in the water. (why foiling is so appealing, I don't have to deal with surfers) But at $200 for an hour (and I have to take my son too remember) so now we're at $400. I'm basically priced out. Maybe it'll be cheaper next year in the summer. I do want to surf it.

Edit: Speaking of kids. Would you rather spend $400 to take kids to a wavepool for 1 hour, or Disneyland for all day? I don't understand the pricing of wavepools. (think about how kids view it, not how you an adult who hates crowds views it)
Wavepool for an hour, easily. I actually just took the kids to Disneyland b/c a relative gave us tickets. 95% of your time at Disneyland will be spent standing in line. Back in the day, the park was somewhat fantastical, now it's just kitsch and dated. The kids don't talk about it but do talk about going to the beach all the time. I'd regret taking them to Disneyland at full price.

Looks like the wave pool price is $100-$200 per person per hour depending on skill level, so double that for your kid. IDK if your son wants an advanced wave - mine sure wouldn't.

I'm looking at it this way - I might surf for an hour, take a break, then surf for another one and head back. This will amount to a full day with driving and dealign with equipment. At the end, though, I'll feel like I've accomplished something besides giving Disney my money.

Reactions: ReForest and SD_Dan

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Reactions: ReForest and sdsrfr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Alright we've established @menobrah is out - he has $5k to go to G-Land but not $500 for two hours in the pool, @casa_mugrienta is already going by himself and probably won't again, @CutnSnip is a probably, @silentbutdeadly is in, @ReForest is in, @Hdip is a maybe if he's not foiling, @Drumsurf is in

Also don't assume success on a chest-high wavepool barrel means you should paddle out at Pipe.
No need for surf etiquette in a pool right? You've got a guaranteed spot in the lineup and a wave with your name on it ... bought and paid for ... no need to look if someone is coming down the line when taking off .... no worries about getting in someone's line paddling back out .... most likely will occur at a local spot near you ... HB, Lowers, Sano ... it will be awesome!!!!! LOL

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
TL/DR

The pool looks fun.
Palm Springs can be very enjoyable for the whole family.
Beats golfing by a fuccking mile.

If I was in the area, I'd be checking reservations.
I would consider going to Palm Springs more now that it is open.

I reckon the chances that the Oceanside pool gets moving again are higher now. Unfortunately.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’d bang at least once if I could get a rez.

the convenience for folks in Southern California is unreal and the happy wife aspect of Palm Springs is there too. I have family in La Quinta so even child care is sorted out while mom and dad go have their respective fun.

ill take a wave pool in Palm Springs vs Snowboarding in Big Bear any day.

i do wonder how many bookings are already made in advance for a year or so. smart to take as many no-interest loans as they can.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Sounds like I need to call them and see about a group reservation. What wave are we surfing first? I'm willing to put down a deposit, though I'm reminded of when @Subway tried to reserve something for you all and his good deed did not go unpunished.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Sounds like I need to call them and see about a group reservation. What wave are we surfing first? I'm willing to put down a deposit, though I'm reminded of when @Subway tried to reserve something for you all and his good deed did not go unpunished.

It's on the website, I posted the prices on page 2 maybe. Different days have different prices, but in January it's about $6000 for an hour, 12 surfers recommended, 24 max. Non surfers pay $20 to get in the doors. Even if you max it at 24 I'm priced out at the moment.

EDIT: oh and something like $480 in fee's on top of that $6000 price.

• Wow
Reactions: ReForest

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
It's on the website, I posted the prices on page 2 maybe. Different days have different prices, but in January it's about $6000 for an hour, 12 surfers recommended, 24 max. Non surfers pay $20 to get in the doors. Even if you max it at 24 I'm priced out at the moment.

EDIT: oh and something like $480 in fee's on top of that $6000 price.
6k an hour? no way. Waco was 10k for a whole day. Either way lets go surfing but not if 24 people are coming :foreheadslap:

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Looks like they’re holding for private bookings. Lol.

sounds like normal reservations are a loss leader, private is where they earn their buck back with exclusive modes not available a la cart.

Reactions: PRCD