OZ Gold Coast February into March

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Wow feeling a range of emotions reading this thread; some good memories being resurrected. Such an amazing place I miss living there dearly. Truly nowhere better.

Reactions: mundus

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
One thing that always struck me about SE QLD/N NSW in easterly trade swells is the sheer number of waves coming through. The constant barrage.
And how easily it barrels.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Yep, on paper, the swells don't look anything special- 8-10 second periods, maybe 11-12 for a really juicy trade swell but it's literally just non-stop waves.
And with the shallow sand, just incredibly steep and hollow.

If you aren't too precious, you just get on the conveyor belt and start picking them off.

Reactions: Aruka and Hazrus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Wow feeling a range of emotions reading this thread; some good memories being resurrected. Such an amazing place I miss living there dearly. Truly nowhere better.
Best place I have ever been as well.truly the "lucky country"

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Ha! no way :roflmao:

Was so hectic between the back wash and the local crew all over it...all the while the takeoff demanding serious commitment. Saw plenty of guys get gobbled up at the top. Saw one guy take a board to the head.

I would have been crazy to attempt to partake.

Got inside two sandy ones, quick ones nothing crazy. Stayed in the zone between the two sets of rocks initially, then moved further down the point with the tide change. Took a licking on a too late too deep air drop too.

My impression is it really allows you to work on your tuberiding technique cause you know it's coming and you can really lock in cause it holds up. You guys are lucky to have so many points that get hollow...so much better than hit or miss beachbreak tube hunting.

Saw some looooong deep ones. And there are so many waves. Was way beyond what I had imagined.
How was the paddle?

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Nothing like seeing and experiencing world class waves in person
Yes.

But this was a whole different intense energy.

I think because of the sheer number of really hollow barrels on offer, and the sheer number of guys pulling in constantly.

And it wasn't even that good.

How was the paddle?
Constantly changing from treadmillish to not bad and back. Depending on the area of the point and whatever the tide was doing.

Reactions: santacruzin

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
The Superbank turned on today around 1230 to my surprise. I'm up on the Gold Coast as I leave tomorrow and had gone down for a swim...ran back to the hotel and grabbed my board. Probably a 2/10 day but enough that Mick and Occy were on it along with a boatload of local kids that were getting nonstop dredging barrels behind the rock.

Words can't really explain the experience. The nonstop barrellage happening constantly before your eyes. Deep, sandy pits. Over and over and over. The first hour is spent just totally immersed sensorially in what is going on in front of you, the thing is just a machine, you can't even believe what is taking place. So many waves. I don't think i have ever been so drawn in by a sober experience in my life. To me it was entirely different than any other surfing experience. It's intense, constant. The colors, lips crashing, the wind blowing, the fun ensuing. Overwhelming I'd say.

I did 3.5 hours on nothing but 2 kiwi. Came back and just sat for a while at the car trying to comprehend it all. Fuck.

Nice end to the trip as the points on the Gold Coast were basically flat my whole time here. Sad as I just managed to get a little taste and now I want more.
You forgot to log in as the sensual writer.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Casa did you get a shot at Kirra? Just looking at the cam now, and it's looking damn good with not many out.

Top 5 wave for me.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Yes.

But this was a whole different intense energy.

I think because of the sheer number of really hollow barrels on offer, and the sheer number of guys pulling in constantly.

And it wasn't even that good.

Constantly changing from treadmillish to not bad and back. Depending on the area of the point and whatever the tide was doing.
You should see if when it is amazing. Ive surfed it on 10/10 days and its such an insane experience. Pretty much nothing like it IMO. The energy is intense especially behind the rock which i have business being near