OZ Gold Coast February into March

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Can't speak for the Gold Coast but Aussie Steve from Cronulla (Truth knows him from Nias) rates Southern NSW in April, like Ulladulla to Victoria border zone.

Maybe Feb-Mar still good weather and start of swell season in Tassie?

Good luck!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
"A surfer visiting my neck of the woods can expect a lot. It breaks almost every day of the year. During the cyclone season it pumps for weeks, often six-to-eight-foot barrels from Snapper all the way through to Kirra…incredible. But the waves are consistently two to three-foot, clean and glassy. You can surf all day every day if you want at either Snapper, Kirra or D-Bah. You don’t even worry about the tides, just head out whenever you feel like it. There’s waves behind the rock for the experts and great cruiser waves at Rainbow and Greenmount for novices. It really does have something for everyone, no matter your ability. Even when it’s onshore, there are still plenty of surfable waves on offer."

Fact or fiction?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Thats true.

It's incredibly consistent during Feb/Mar.

If you had a car and drove between the Gold Coast and Ballina (about a hundred miles) you would be scoring fun to great surf every day in bath warm water.

This area is more consistent then, South Coast (Ulladulla) better from April-May onwards. Lots of slab reefs.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Thats true.

It's incredibly consistent during Feb/Mar.

If you had a car and drove between the Gold Coast and Ballina (about a hundred miles) you would be scoring fun to great surf every day in bath warm water.

This area is more consistent then, South Coast (Ulladulla) better from April-May onwards. Lots of slab reefs.
OK I'm sold.

Booking tix now. 3 week trip.

Europcar looking like the best deal for cars...3000km included. Hmm.

Advice on how to score the cheapest lodging and what to look for? I'm not hard to please. Just prefer places w/out lots of rodents/noise/disruptive activites.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Hmmmmm.......accom tends to be expensive in Aus.

You've got air Bn b- you could try and find a modest price one as base and work from there.

Caravan parks have self contained cabins that are fine, if basic.

Pitching a tent would be cheapest but a Ball ache in the rain.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
While I would love to surf the Gold Coast, the pictures and videos showing that crowd stop me from going. Is it possible for an outsider to get waves on the peak?

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Yes absolutely and high chance of scoring absolutely pumping waves. If the Gold Coast is small you can drive south between the Gold Coast and ballina is going to have something for sure.

also snapper and dbah are the most talked about but there’s plenty of other point breaks and scattered beach breaks with something for everyone from empty and sharky to crowded as it gets.

• Love
Reactions: CCKeith

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
got a book by Nat Young guide to surfing aus's east coast can send u at no charge.nobody know that coast better than nat

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
got a book by Nat Young guide to surfing aus's east coast can send u at no charge.nobody know that coast better than nat
Looks like it was written in the early 80s so I'm guessing things have changed since then but appreciate the offer.

@freeride76 @ULUSURFER if I'm sticking in the North NSW + Gold Coast area what would I expect as far as travel speeds by car/traffic? I'm trying to figure out if finding a single home base to explore out of for the weeks there is a good idea.

If I stayed south of the Gold Coast is it easy/quick to drive in to surf? Or lots of traffic and parking hassles?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Nah, it's easy.
There's a new highway runs from the Gold Coast down through NSW- and the Goldy points are right at the bottom of the Coast- easy to stay just south of the Gold Coast and drive.

The Gold Coast itself has pretty gnarly traffic- but nothing too bad.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
OK I'm sold.
Moogsies you seem pretty well-traveled. You've been to Seth Efrikeh, Cannery, Nor Chore, all over Latin America, up and down the coasts of Merka...

Have you not found the casa moogsies goldilocks just right honey hole zone, or is this more a curiosity/travel component where you've got wells you'd go back to, but you want to see what other places have to offer?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Northern NSW is my favorite stretch of coast anywhere, sub tropical, more than enough surf, fishing and not completely suburbanized or this might have changed.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Moogsies you seem pretty well-traveled. You've been to Seth Efrikeh, Cannery, Nor Chore, all over Latin America, up and down the coasts of Merka...

Have you not found the casa moogsies goldilocks just right honey hole zone, or is this more a curiosity/travel component where you've got wells you'd go back to, but you want to see what other places have to offer?
Honey hole zone for me is South Africa, been twice and would return - travel time is just so damn long though.

The summer after I first stood up on a surfboard I ended up stuck in the middle of nowhere living on a gravel road surrounded by cornfields...geographically and physically think Children of the Corn...as a gift in the mail came The Green Iguana which became my sole connection to my novice standup experience, then another gift, Bunyip Dreaming...Occy and Munga became Gods to be emulated, Celibate Rifles, Ed Kuepper, and Vanilla Chainsaws in my head ripping the driveway doing cutbacks and tailslides on my skate... People at school thought/knew I was living in a very confused fantasy as a 7 year old in a bumfuck "town" of 400 :roflmao: Hate to say it but these videos were probably one of the biggest influences in shaping my life's path, so been dreaming about this trip for about 30 years. At this point I'm also thinking towards where we will hopefully make our eventual escape from the USA, as well as retirement.

We had tix purchased around COVID but obviously that was derailed, so maybe it works out this time.

I'll say I haven't been this excited in a very, very long time.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I surfed really fun A-B grade point surf yesterday- in the morning I went out slightly too high tide and surfed it by myself - later it was crowded but easy to get waves. The crowd eased off late in the day.
This morning was close to all-time pumping OH blue warm water and a moderate crowd.
I had a great surf.

You won't get set waves behind the rock at Snapper but you'll get shitt tons down the end section and that's where best tubes are.

Other points you'll get sets if you are patient but there are usually heaps of waves- it's not long period groundswell with long waits for sets.
There's a lot of waves coming through.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Looks like it was written in the early 80s so I'm guessing things have changed since then but appreciate the offer.

@freeride76 @ULUSURFER if I'm sticking in the North NSW + Gold Coast area what would I expect as far as travel speeds by car/traffic? I'm trying to figure out if finding a single home base to explore out of for the weeks there is a good idea.

If I stayed south of the Gold Coast is it easy/quick to drive in to surf? Or lots of traffic and parking hassles?
Do not stay north of Miami/burleigh area. Only reason to go to the Gold Coast proper is to go surf at south straddie. very easy to get around on the m1 motorway from northern nsw. I think you should stay beach front in cooly or kirra if you can afford it. You can walk to snapper/dbah/kirra and you won’t have to drive much.

parking in cooly when it’s pumping is jacked. Some people just park in handicap and accept the fines. Burleigh and currumbin alley suck to park too. if you are surfing snapper you should park down near green mount or kirra because you will always end your session there anyways.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I'd respectfully disagree there- I like to park on the road to D-bah near Jack Evans boat harbour when I surf Superbank.
Nice little quiet parks in the shade- I take a cut lunch and chill in between laps - have a nap under a shady tree.

Walk behind D-bah and jump off behind the rock - nice chill walk back after a sesh.

It just feels like a little oasis- you're already in a zen mind-state before you paddle out.
Ready to strike like a cobra.

• Love