Old Man Groveler

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Picked up my longboard two days ago and had a talk with the shaper about grovelers. He immediately said "Get a Flash Drive! Completely addictive and goes like lightning in absolute junk."

This is a 5'9 he had a pdf of. Ultra flat rocker, chined rails, vee out the moon tail. Maybe for next summer.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Any recommendations for me to learn more about chined rails. I saw something on e on YouTube but lost it. Who's really working on some chined rails I can look up?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Re chines, the shaper said they let him to do a single concave for speed and quick get up and go, while allowing the board to go rail to rail easily.

Also, earlier iterations of this board had a much wider, straighter tail, but he'd had to go asym in order to not have to move rear foot around. This late pulled in tail let the rear foot stay put, but board still had drive from straighter outline in front of fins (quad was the winner).

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Ben Aipa used to do them (along with many others) and now Duke is doing them on some boards like Retropete mentioned. His wrecking ball looks pretty trippy when you see one in person. I remember Duke mentioning some of his dads ideas coming from hydroplane speed boats which have a similar design. My takeaways were it causes added lift under the bevel, less drag from water shearing off the bevel instead of wrapping around, while also reducing planning width which allows it to go rail to rail like a more narrow board. Never tried it, so no comment on how much of that is actually felt from the user.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Thanks for the nudge I had forgotten and btw, I found that Wooly episode so relatable ... Don't know what to make of that but it makes me want to repair a similar board I have and refocus what I do with it, I had found the range I needed in a VonSol Shadow OG but I did learn when using a grovelor for gobbling, not to overlength, didn't work that way. 80's- 90's gut---out..

Reactions: Havoc

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I'm 57 6'1" and 178 lbs. (81 kilos) with bad shoulders as well.

My go to is a 6'4" x 21.75" x 2/75" Harbour twin keel fish. This boar goes everywhere with me because it works so well in waist high to overhead waves. My backup is currently a 6'2" x 21.5" x 2/75" Stewart Deuce with a twin & trailer setup. I haven't tried it in anything over chest high yet but hope to soon.

Outside of shortboards, my 8' midlength, single fin is the bomb. Easy to paddle and glides like an albatross.

Reactions: Havoc and One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Been surfing dreadful waves this week: small (hip to chest high max), soft, short. The polar opposite to what I usually surf, and very challenging for an old, slow kook like me. A 20yo Florida ripper would probably take it apart.

Surfed my CC Wolverine, as I only brought one board, and while it glides well in shitty waves it doesn't have the get up and go to make them fun.

So what would both paddle really well and accelerate quickly? Bear in mind that I favour boards in the high 30s for garbage.

6'1 x 178 x 60yo.
5'-11" 155lb 62 years

I've been riding this. Don't mean to be a shameless self promoter ala GG, but since I only ride my own boards it's what I know. I've been riding the green railed one in waves a lot like the wooly video you posted. It will take his snaps and draw them out a bit into more of a carve. I'm in the honeymoon phase right now, so I haven't been focused on any negatives. I did take it out on a bigger day at a spot with a lot of longboards and they wouldn't let me have any waves and it was very frustrating.

ps thinking of putting a tail pad on....

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc
Mar 20, 2024
Old man groveler: Firewire Dan Mann Sweet Potato II 5'4

Me: 50y, 5'11, 172 lbs
I use the sweet potato II for the smallest days.
Way better board than expected.

Have used in the past for these conditions
- Lost Bean Bag > I do prefer the tail of the sweet potato II compared to the Bean Bag
- Lost Puddle Jumper > less low end performance compared to sweet potato II
- Lost puddle fish > had no click with it, sold it.

When swell picks up/gets a bit more punchy I use these grovelers:
- Sharpeye disco cheater XTR10 (love this one)
- Hydrodynamica GMMII XTR 8C
Have you seen the Lib Tech version of the Bean Bag? It has a more pulled in tail. How did the bean bag groveled compared to the SP2. Been looking to pick up one of those boards.

Jun 21, 2021
Have you seen the Lib Tech version of the Bean Bag? It has a more pulled in tail. How did the bean bag groveled compared to the SP2. Been looking to pick up one of those boards.
I haven’t surfed the Lib Tech version so can’t help you with this. When comparing the OG Bean Bag to the SP2 I do like the SP2 more. It is more agile and has more snap which helps in small beach breaks.

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
I still think the original Lost Bottom Feeder was the perfect so cal groveler. That GH pill looks sick though.